• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The most shocking moments in Oscars history

jw5

Loyal
1648655114970.png

The most shocking moments in Oscars history​

Hollywood's biggest night just took place, but people aren't talking about the movies. Instead, they're debating an onstage assault by its Best Actor winner.
The world was shocked to see Will Smith march onstage and slap Chris Rock after the comedian made a dig at Jada Pinkett Smith, who struggles with alopecia. "Jada, I love you. G.I. Jane 2, can't wait to see it, all right?" Rock quipped, but the audience fell silent. "That was a nice one, okay?" he added.
Smith went right up to him in front of all the watching eyes and slapped Rock in the face. When he returned to his seat, Rock tried to maintain composure and said, "Wow, Will Smith just smacked the s—t out of me!" Smith then yelled back, "Keep my wife's name out of your f—king mouth."
"Wow, dude. It was a G.I. Jane joke," Rock replied, to which the actor yelled at him again: "Yes, keep my wife's name out of your f—king mouth!"
Celebrities were visibly shocked, and some went to Smith and Pinkett after the incident, including Denzel Washington, whom Smith thanked for his advice in his subsequent acceptance speech for Best Actor. Smith apologized for his outburst and related himself to his winning role in 'King Richard.' "Art imitates life, I look like the crazy father," he said. "Love will make you do crazy things." Some believe he may lose his award for violating the award show's code of conduct.
As one of the most revered award shows in Hollywood (the industry that, after all, thrives on drama), it makes sense that the Oscars have their own history of outrageous and salacious controversies.

jw5

Loyal
1648655179399.png

Standing for something​

One of the first controversial moments happened in 1936. Screenwriter Dudley Nichols (right) turned down an Oscar for 'The Informer.'

jw5

Loyal
1648655210831.png

A bittersweet victory​

In 1940, Hattie McDaniel became the first Black Oscar winner. This should have been a joyous event, but her victory was marred by racism. She was seated at the back of the venue, and was segregated from the rest of the cast of 'Gone with the Wind.'

jw5

Loyal
1648655236304.png

The wrong choice for many​

'How Green Was My Valley' beat 'Citizen Kane' for Best Picture in 1942. The decision caused great upset, and many have never forgiven the Academy for it.

jw5

Loyal
1648655264219.png

Taylor makes a comeback​

Elizabeth Taylor is a Hollywood icon, but she found herself in hot water after having an affair with Eddie Fisher. He was married to Debbie Reynolds, one of America's sweethearts. She also fell ill with pneumonia, but made a comeback when she won Best Actress in 1961.

jw5

Loyal
1648656315786.png

The power of Poitier​

In 1964, Sidney Poitier became the first Black man to win the Best Actor Oscar. Co-star Anne Bancroft gave him a kiss on the cheek at the event, which caused uproar among conservative audiences.

jw5

Loyal
1648656339775.png

Draw​

What are the odds for an Oscar draw? Not very high, but it happened in 1969. Barbra Streisand and Katharine Hepburn both won Best Actress, but the latter was not present to collect the award.

jw5

Loyal
1648656367840.png

Meat parade​

"The ceremonies are a two-hour meat parade," said George C. Scott, who refused his Best Actor win in 1970.

jw5

Loyal
1648657162044.png

The legacy of Littlefeather​

In 1973, Marlon Brando won Best Actor for his role in 'The Godfather.' He refused to show up, and sent Native American activist Sacheen Littlefeather to pick up the award. "The reasons for this being the treatment of American Indians today by the film industry," she revealed, to a mix of boos and applause.

jw5

Loyal
1648660252397.png

Lucky streak​

In 1974, a streaker named Robert Opel took the stage, ruffling the feathers of David Niven (pictured). "The only laugh that man will ever get in his life is by stripping off and showing his shortcomings," said Niven. The streaker got off scot-free, and even held a press conference.

jw5

Loyal
1648660614138.png

Bert Schneider's anti-war message​

Back in 1975, anti-war film 'Hearts and Minds' won Best Documentary. Producer Bert Schneider thanked anti-war activists in his speech, causing a great deal of controversy.

jw5

Loyal
1648660736500.png

The backlash against Vanessa Redgrave​

Redgrave won an Oscar for her performance in 'Julia,' which was based on a memoir by Lillian Hellman. However, it was alleged that Hellman had made the story up.

jw5

Loyal
1648663304754.png

Cher makes a statement​

In 1986, Cher shocked the world with a jaw-dropping outfit. "As you can see, I did receive my Academy booklet on how to dress like a serious actress," she said. Cher was referencing how she wasn't nominated that year.

jw5

Loyal
1648663420394.png

The fall of Rob Lowe​

Back in 1989, Rob Lowe took the stage with "Snow White" (Eileen Bowman), and performed a 10-minute-plus medley of mayhem. Disney sued, along with several celebrities, who wrote a letter addressing the "embarrassment to both the Academy and the entire picture industry."

jw5

Loyal
1648664165700.png

Palance's push-ups​

Jack Palance proved the ageist critics wrong in 1992, performing some one-armed push-ups on stage.

jw5

Loyal
1648721459190.png

Richard Gere, Tim Robbins, and Susan Sarandon get banned for life​

Politics and pictures don't always go together. This trio of celebs (including Sarandon and Robbins, pictured) made political statements at the 1993 Oscars, leading to a lifetime ban for all three. The ban was eventually overturned.

jw5

Loyal
1648722758652.png

Elia Kazan's political past​

Kazan has made some classics, but there was controversy when he won an honorary Oscar. This was because he acted as an anti-Communist informer during the McCarthy era, inflaming paranoia and distress in Hollywood.

jw5

Loyal
1648725653078.png

Angelina Jolie and James Haven​

Angelina Jolie keeps a squeaky clean image these days, but back in 2000, she caused some controversy with her brother James Haven. They kissed, held hands, and Jolie said she was "so in love" with him.

jw5

Loyal
1648729165569.png

Swan song​

One of the most famous Oscar dresses was worn by Björk. She was draped in a swan dress, and even "laid" an egg on the red carpet.