• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

the late ex UPF leader harbans singhs

CakeLengKia

Alfrescian
Loyal
do you think he was a respectable politicans or a joker who was intend to spoil the opposition reputation?

last time when he was active his aim was to shoot down pap govt and even hiam and JBJ became his enemy!

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
do you think he was a respectable politicans or a joker who was intend to spoil the opposition reputation?

last time when he was active his aim was to shoot down pap govt and even hiam and JBJ became his enemy!

Those early election years, when rallies were held near the old Maybank, Battery Rd., down by the river, used to watch & hear him giving his election speeches; for the entertainment during lunch break. Many others too, for it was lunch time & free entertainment. Many of us during those, suspected that he was 'planted' to spoil the oppositions. Politicians, respected, got to be kidding!.

dredd

Alfrescian
Loyal
Think his election promises included freeing all prisoners and giving free telephone services to everyone. What an idiot!

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
actually there are still many harban singh equivalents in the oppo today. its just that they are a bit more sophisticated, its the same bloody bullshit but just delivered in a more coherent manner.

CakeLengKia

Alfrescian
Loyal
i think he say before he want to take away with lky's citizenship if he becomes the prime minister right? :biggrin:

Last edited:

kepala butoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
They say you shouldn't speak ill of the dead - that's true to an extent.

But to speak lies would be just as impolite; so I choose to speak the truth to preserve the late Harbans' "reputation".

Harbans Singh was the PAP's best marketing tool. A tool he was because along with another village idiot - Vetrivelu the two appeared as such buffoons that it was obvious the opposition was scraping the bottom of the barrel for credible candidates. With this lack of choice, voting for the PAP to safeguard your future was a no-brainer in the 70s.

Singh, for a lawyer, appeared particularly qualified to be a clown. 'til the end, he would rant and rave and come up with few credible policies. I think he once referred himself and two other candidates as "we are the 3 Kennedy brothers of Asia". The Straight Times (and that's as credible as it gets) claims that a wag exclaimed during the press conference; "which two are dead".

The day before the elections in the late '70s his own daughter consented to an interview with The Straight Times (and man they can be relied to tell it to you straight) actually denounced her father as someone who can't be taken seriously and whose only ambition was to see LKY voted out.

On one occasion his son stood for election and professed to having failed his A Levels but was going to sit for them again and then qualify to study Law and follow in his father's legal footsteps. This was in the 70s too - I'm not sure if the chap is a member of the Bar.

On another occasion he confronted JBJ in front of the press and said words to the effect "Hello Mr Jeyaratnam. I may say hello to you but I don't want to shake your hand". This was right in the middle of the hustings - again an excellent demonstration of a prime lunatic.

May he rest in peace because all he did was rust in war. Thank god the quality of opposition candidates has improved.

CannonFairy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Old days we have Harbans. The current days we have Kenneth Jeyaretham. The former is extremely entertaining, the latter is extremely boring. I prefer a clown any time.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Old days we have Harbans. The current days we have Kenneth Jeyaretham. The former is extremely entertaining, the latter is extremely boring. I prefer a clown any time.

Would you prefer an expensive clown, like "zorro" Lim??:rolleyes:

CakeLengKia

Alfrescian
Loyal
Kenneth is still a political newbie. let's give him more time for him and RP to build up their base in the West of sg

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
Harbans Singh has reincarnated. He trimmed his hair, rid his turban and shaved his beard. The reincarnated one is nowadays known as Goh Meng Seng. :biggrin:

Talking Donkey

Alfrescian (S)
Both father and son are clowns in the making
during the election rally in the 80s
to be in stitches,you just attend to this two clowns rally and you won't be disappointed.:biggrin:

Kohliantye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Harbans Singh has reincarnated.

Please do not talk about that Singh. I have many Singh friends who are intelligent and successful in their careers. many of them hold top positions in the Civil Service and private sectors. The are a proud race and able to co-exist, despite their different physical appearance in wearing turbans and sporting beards.
I am sure the Singhs of Singapore wants to distance themselves from the likes of Harbans Singh. He is nothing compared to the Grecian-featured Singhs.
I remember that Harbans wanted to make the maximum bus fare to 5 cents only in the 80"s, when he, as a lawyer stood and lost miserably against Teong Eng Siong, a coffeeshop-owner of the PAP in Sembawang.
Harbans political manifesto was as follows, that on the day when his party formed the government, he would pull down the highrise flats in Sembawang and give the flattened land back to the farmers to plant ubi kayu, kang-kong and chye-sim, rear pigs and milking cows. He also wanted to "rejoin" Singapore with the Malaysian Federation. There was many more things in the manifesto, but I am shy to mention it as people may think that I am an insane person too.
Harbans had a son, Munjeet Singh who stood against Lau Ping sum and lost miserably in Yio Chu Kang. Finally, the duo had a loyal supporter, one Ms Ang Bee Lian who stood with them till the end. I dunno where are they now. Maybe retired or enjoying their pensions from their CPF. I am sure they had enough money because they were never charged for defamation leading to bankruptcies. They even called the then CID chief a kidnapper and gangster. Defamatory words though, but they were never charged in our Courts. What a joke.
In conclusion, I will always remember Harbans Singh as a "political joker", as I had many a good laugh at his "unbelievable and preposterous" suggestions for the "future" of Singapore. Neither will I ever forget Messrs Vetrivelu, Seow Khee Leng and a certain "hair-restorer" by the name of Professor Zeng Guo-yuan who suddenly loved wearing baju-Melayu. This are people who brought much laughter to the lives of frustrated and politically-sick Singaporeans. Made my bones tickle. Movies like the 3 Stooges are certainly no match to these people.
If there were Academy Awards for best performing "political comedians", it would certainly go to the likes of these "skillful" politicians. Maybe some big organisation should take the lead and make it an annual affair. Our national TV station should also ask their producers to make such films on such people entitled, "True Blue Politicians Without Any Clue of What To Glue". Though, poor, I don't mind donating money to such "worthy" schemes, for they will make our future generations remember that there was a time when such people trod the sacred Earth of Singapore.
Those our age, had seen foreign invaders, experienced racial strife, lived through an era of communalism, communism and gangsterism, experienced pain when our young Nation was "kicked" out of Malaysia (not forgetting the antics of those "wonderful people" mentioned above).
Today, our opposition politicians are a different lot. They are intelligent and talk sense and many of us value them for the manner in which they are trying to bring about a change. The opposition today is gaining ground. Respect for them is increasing. Any stooge in the political arena today is speedily identified. We are not that stupid as certain people may think us to be.
Let us always remember the likes of Harbans and The Lot.
Happy Reading. Your generous Feedback is most sought. Thank you.

Last edited:

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
Please do not talk about that Singh. I have many Singh friends who are intelligent and successful in their careers. many of them hold top positions in the Civil Service and private sectors. The are a proud race and able to co-exist, despite their different physical appearance in wearing turbans and sporting beards.
I am sure the Singhs of Singapore wants to distance themselves from the likes of Harbans Singh. He is nothing compared to the Grecian-featured Singhs.
I remember that Harbans wanted to make the maximum bus fare to 5 cents only in the 80"s, when he, as a lawyer stood and lost miserably against Teong Eng Siong, a coffeeshop-owner of the PAP in Sembawang.
Happy Reading. Your generous Feedback is most sought. Thank you.

Thanks. Politics and governance is never as simple as lowering bus fare to 5 cents. Who or what's going to pay for the roads, buses, drivers and petrol? I do agree, there're many good and great Singhs around through history and they co-exist very well with whatever other races under whatever circumstances and positions high or low.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Harbans Singh has reincarnated. He trimmed his hair, rid his turban and shaved his beard. The reincarnated one is nowadays known as Goh Meng Seng. :biggrin:

You mean Harbans Singh had morphed into Goh Meng Singh ( oops!, Seng), both are aliens?:biggrin:

CannonFairy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Kenneth is still a political newbie. let's give him more time for him and RP to build up their base in the West of sg

A politician who cannot speak or cannot connect with the people is a flop. If a politician don't connect intellectually, at least, entertain the crowd. Kenneth can't do either. His dad would be disappointed.

Kohliantye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A politician who cannot speak or cannot connect with the people is a flop. If a politician don't connect intellectually, at least, entertain the crowd. Kenneth can't do either. His dad would be disappointed.

Dear friend. Politics is a serious business and not something trivial that can be used as an entertainment pedestal. Politics concern our well-being and that of our children and grandchildren.
We must unite and tell the "entertainers" that we will never allow them to make a mockery out of politics. If they want to be clowns or entertainers, they can join a circus or TV show.
The last GE and PE showed that politicians are a serious breed. They mean business and will eventually succeed.

groinroot

Alfrescian
Loyal

Fair observation.
KJ is stiff and needs to attend intensive courses on PR, EQ and the like. A thick wall of negative aura is enveloping him and the departure of his party's would-be general election candidates on the eve of polls reinforces it.

Harbans Singh is the other extreme. He entertained crowds with his clownish antics and irrational promises. This is why the public lost faith in him and his hotchpotch party. The question that was asked then was, would a trained, professional lawyer behave in such a tardy manner? It was incongruous.