• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Teachers take students' belongings to 'teach them a lesson'

MarrickG

Alfrescian
Loyal
20100727.142547_hci2.jpg

Students at a top institution in Singapore had a rude shock when they came back to class to find some of their personal belongings missing.

Was it the work of an intruder or a dishonest student? Neither, apparently.

The 'theft' was the work of teachers, who sought to teach careless students "a lesson they'll never forget", for leaving their valuables around unattended.

Teachers at Hwa Chong Institution (HCI) would take items such as wallets and other valuables left behind in classrooms, and inform students on their whereabouts at the end of the day, reported one student who wrote in to citizen journalism website, STOMP. "They were made to write apology letters before they could claim the items."

But as the student asked, "is this move really necessary and moral?"

In the email to STOMP, the Hwa Chong student wrote: "I have seen the panic and despair of my friends and classmates when they had discovered that they lost their belongings. One of my friends lost his wallet, with cash, his EZ-link card and even his IC inside.

"Before we knew that the school had taken them, we even suggested to him that he make a police report. This is the severity of such an action.

"One of my friends brought his laptop to do schoolwork, but he is denied this opportunity to do so by the school. I believe that he is not the only one.

"Furthermore, some of us are required to move from class to class between lessons. This would mean that locking of the classrooms is impractical as a solution to this. Furthermore if a thief is really that determined to break into the class, he can climb through the windows or break them.

"Must we all then, get metal chains to chain all of our belongings by our side wherever we go anywhere in school?

"I don't see why the students, being potential victims of theft, should be punished for being just that."

SneeringTree

Alfrescian
Loyal
Excellent. That is the kind of school I will send my children to. Kids nowadays have little concern for their belongings!

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
How about lift up teachers' skirts to highlight the importance of wearing nice undies everyday?

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
a good way to teach them a lesson...

nxt time go Army oso, leave ur rifle unattended during field camp, PC will confiscate...

leave ur girlfriend unsatisfied, will zhao sai...

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes, or have them all chained together, and then call for stand-to. I still remember when my platoon-mates trying to do turn-out when the rifles were chained to one another.

And it was usually the work of the NCOs.

a good way to teach them a lesson...

nxt time go Army oso, leave ur rifle unattended during field camp, PC will confiscate...

leave ur girlfriend unsatisfied, will zhao sai...

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Great school. Correct way to teach kids. You can lecture then the whole year round, but they won't bother to listen. Teach then a lesson to really feel how is it like to have lost valuables.

Lousy student, no shame and still write to stomp.

A lot of stompers are idiots, anyways!

:mad:

jw5

Loyal
Great school. Correct way to teach kids. You can lecture then the whole year round, but they won't bother to listen. Teach then a lesson to really feel how is it like to have lost valuables.

Lousy student, no shame and still write to stomp.

A lot of stompers are idiots, anyways!

:mad:
If the parents are not able to teach their kids, the teachers will have to do it.
It's that simple.

manokie

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cheebye useless Stomper at work again.

It is a real life example of our good teachers working differently to achieve the same goals in teaching Sinkie kids.

Why is this stomper so stupid not to be able to interpret this?

Received_by_Kings

Alfrescian
Loyal
"They were made to write apology letters before they could claim the items."

Were they required to write them in Mandarin?

學生們有沒有跪在學堂謝罪啊?

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
But as the student asked, "is this move really necessary and moral?"

Such a student who didn't wake up at first instance and still retort with such question doesn't deserve to be in HCI at all.

Moral? Is it moral for one to leave valuables carelessly behind to tempt others to steal? Or does the whole world owes him a duty to safeguard his properties wherever he chooses to leave them?

Move on to legal. There was no intention to steal and deprive the students of their properties. There was only good intention to safeguard and restore the properties to them, with a lesson to learn. To learn or not learn, that's the question. But even to as prestigious as HCI students nowadays, where to shift the blame to, that's the question. Sad. :mad:

karfield

Alfrescian
Loyal
My son's school also took their belongs when they forgot to lock their classroom leaving their valuable in it. After that, they never forget again. Very effective teaching method.

Soul_Reaper

Alfrescian
Loyal
My son's school also took their belongs when they forgot to lock their classroom leaving their valuable in it. After that, they never forget again. Very effective teaching method.

Whenever we go for our swimming lessons, we would change and then leave our belongings by the side of the pool instead of the lockers provided. One day we discovered our bags missing. Without our wallets, no money, no clothes, no towels...... we walked back to our school dripping wet in our swimming trunks. We were directed to the assembly hall where we were "presented" with our belongings on stage in front of the whole school. :o

That was more than 40 years ago.

AvalanCh3

Alfrescian
Loyal
they have to be glad, its at least their teacher who took their things. its taken by other most likely it will never come back

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Excellent. That is the kind of school I will send my children to. Kids nowadays have little concern for their belongings!

I won't be so quick.

The teacher has taught the pupils that theft (or other dishonorable activity) is okay if you think you are on a moral high horse.

He is obviously taking an easy way out after being unable to discipline the children through persuasion.

jw5

Loyal
Whenever we go for our swimming lessons, we would change and then leave our belongings by the side of the pool instead of the lockers provided. One day we discovered our bags missing. Without our wallets, no money, no clothes, no towels...... we walked back to our school dripping wet in our swimming trunks. We were directed to the assembly hall where we were "presented" with our belongings on stage in front of the whole school. :o

That was more than 40 years ago.
Was that the old Chinese High?

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal

You'll also see kids also leave their handphones unattended on tables in fastfood restaurants, floor, etc.

Lost? Never mind lor, father or mother can buy again.