• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Teachers from UK shocked by Chinese multiplication table

Extremist

Alfrescian
Loyal
image5.png

January 17th, An English delegation of more than 50 teachers and deans from top 25 middle schools and primary school in UK came to Ningbo city in Zhejiang Province to attend math classes for learning and sharing.

They went to two schools: Ningbo Wanli International School and Ningbo Gaoxin Foreign Language School.

One UK headmasters said that Chinese kids’ are well known for their math abilities in the world. Teachers in UK always puzzled about why always the Chinese kids got the first prize in international math competitions? They came all the way here to China, aiming to bring some insights back about the math teaching.

Until the afternoon yesterday, they had listened four math classes. The result is that, they were totally shocked by the multiplication table and Chinese kids’ math skills.

Standing all the time through listening

During the math classes yesterday, the chairs for the UK teachers were all left unseated. They walked into the students, checking their textbooks, notebooks, and took photos with their cellphones. The Chinese kids did not let them down.

72÷3=?

On student went to the stage and quickly wrote the correct answer of 24. This student said the answer can be quickly concluded through the use of multiplication table. The 12 teachers at the scene were surprised by the method.

One English teacher said they don’t have such multiplication table in UK. If they want to solve the problem above, the process will be like this:

10×3=30,10×3=30,4×3=12,then add them up and get 24.

For this kind of problem, students in UK will have to learn through several lessons to solve them successfully.

But for kids, is it too hard to apply the Chinese way of education? One English teacher did not think so. He thought the standard of English education is too low.

Fail to learn the multiplication table, because of the pronunciation

After the math classes, UK teachers showed their interests in learning the multiplication table. But the dean of primary school, Zheng said that the multiplication table was a traditional method in China which cannot be easily learned by English teachers because of the pronunciation.

The multiplication table has five Chinese characters maximum, and is very clear at a glance. But when translated into English, the sentences will be too long. For example, “九九八十一” is translated as “nine nine eighty one”.

Although they failed to learn that, the experience was valuable. The teachers said that they were going to document this investigation into files and report them to the Department of Education of UK, which they hoped would be helpful to the primary math education in UK.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
just waiting for either BosSam or kingrant to pooh pooh this and whack the Chinese again.

The most ironic thing is their gods the ang mohs from the UK actually want to learn from the chinese and implement that in their school systems cos chinese students in the UK always get tops.

King rat the chinese dog or at least it claims to be chinese will somehow try to find some BS excuse to explain why chinese methods are inferior simply because it is created and used by china ppl.

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I remembered reading somewhere that the abacus is much better than the calculator. No? :biggrin:

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I remembered reading somewhere that the abacus is much better than the calculator. No? :biggrin:

The advance abacus users don't even need one for calculating big number and complex equations.

But I doubt the abacus can be used for differentiation/integration or deriving nth roots.

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
the chinese are actually very clever and advanced in many ways.....its just that the cooperation and sharing thats been their bane. They view one another as competitors and as a result are reluctant to share findings and information that would take them to the next higher level. What a waste of what might have been....but still, China is making good progress.

The most ironic thing is their gods the ang mohs from the UK actually want to learn from the chinese and implement that in their school systems cos chinese students in the UK always get tops.

King rat the chinese dog or at least it claims to be chinese will somehow try to find some BS excuse to explain why chinese methods are inferior simply because it is created and used by china ppl.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
the chinese are actually very clever and advanced in many ways.....its just that the cooperation and sharing thats been their bane. They view one another as competitors and as a result are reluctant to share findings and information that would take them to the next higher level. What a waste of what might have been....but still, China is making good progress.

I've just started reading this book.. The author tries to explain why the Western civilisation have done so well in the last 500 years while the East dipped so badly. He listed the factors including system of rule, geography, weather etc etc. Very interesting revelations so far (only reached chapter 2).

west-rules.jpg

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

You are correct and it is possible to change this sharing thing if you actually bring it up and get them to change. I actually think whites are selfish and individualistic although i do know they have some type of scientific community that shares but it's not giving it away for free but rather they do get the credit like how they file patents for inventions. Anyway i still think it's too general to say chinese don't share because asians are known in the west to be more of a hive like mentality and the japs and koreans are even more so than the chinese. I find it contridicting since i know of the stories of how this chinese family wouldn't share their family recipe or martial arts with the greater community but yet chinese are known to care more about their community compared to the western ppl. White ppl do have their own secret recipes for example, i think it's referring to the modern concept of sharing scientific discoveries with the entire community and everyone world wide including chinese contribute. Whites started this concept which is fairly modern but the fact is modern chinese contribute too.

What pisses me off is that chinese ppl are negatively stereotyped for no good reason or hated or lambasted for the silliest reasons. Like some whites hate chinese but they don't have any compelling reasons to. Like blacks rob, rape and contribute to high crime rates, chinese don't do that but do you know some whites hate chinese more and they'll use silly reasons like chinese guy didn't smile at him or looks mean as if that is an excuse to be racist. Then you pay attention it happens elsewhere like here in singapore where chinese postitive stereotypes are downplayed and never acknowledged for the good that they do. Give you an example. Ppl like to stereotype malays as nice ppl yet there are obviously rude and mean malays but ppl ignore that and just focus on nice malays. It's the opposite for chinese. PPl ignore nice chinese and forever stereotype them as mean, selfish. It's this type of mentality that needs to go.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
What BS! What bollocks! This shld belong in the rubbish heap.

Look at the Cultural revolution where children ratted on parents in China! No other race does that, certainly not the Malays.

Just becos sometimes Chinese good traits emerge, doesnt mean, as it does to you, that Chinese is always good.

Every race has warts and Chinese is no exception.

You are correct and it is possible to change this sharing thing if you actually bring it up and get them to change. I actually think whites are selfish and individualistic although i do know they have some type of scientific community that shares but it's not giving it away for free but rather they do get the credit like how they file patents for inventions. Anyway i still think it's too general to say chinese don't share because asians are known in the west to be more of a hive like mentality and the japs and koreans are even more so than the chinese. I find it contridicting since i know of the stories of how this chinese family wouldn't share their family recipe or martial arts with the greater community but yet chinese are known to care more about their community compared to the western ppl. White ppl do have their own secret recipes for example, i think it's referring to the modern concept of sharing scientific discoveries with the entire community and everyone world wide including chinese contribute. Whites started this concept which is fairly modern but the fact is modern chinese contribute too.

What pisses me off is that chinese ppl are negatively stereotyped for no good reason or hated or lambasted for the silliest reasons. Like some whites hate chinese but they don't have any compelling reasons to. Like blacks rob, rape and contribute to high crime rates, chinese don't do that but do you know some whites hate chinese more and they'll use silly reasons like chinese guy didn't smile at him or looks mean as if that is an excuse to be racist. Then you pay attention it happens elsewhere like here in singapore where chinese postitive stereotypes are downplayed and never acknowledged for the good that they do. Give you an example. Ppl like to stereotype malays as nice ppl yet there are obviously rude and mean malays but ppl ignore that and just focus on nice malays. It's the opposite for chinese. PPl ignore nice chinese and forever stereotype them as mean, selfish. It's this type of mentality that needs to go.

PUNISHER

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Whahahaha .. We have a racists here who talk about stereotype !! Surprise surprise :wink: