• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Taxi drivers quit union.....

gatehousethetinkertailor

Alfrescian
Loyal
I asked a Comfort cabby recently why he had not joined the Grab network as I thought it was quite common for taxis to be part of the Grab network.

He said it was a conscious choice because he had been warned by by Comfort management that if he picked up a passenger booking via a non-Comfort app then the Comfort's insurance coverage would not extend to either cabby or passenger for that trip.

He also said that Comfort only takes 30cents out of the $2.30 booking fee whereas Grab which charges $3 per booking takes half.

The non-insurance coverage baffled me - I assume Comfort would have negotiated such a clause into their insurance agreement as a deterrent for their drivers depriving them of the 30cents booking commission.

If indeed the non-insurance coverage is true, this would be an interesting test-case for the courts as any normal passenger would assume that even though they used Grab to book a cab (and not a private car provided by Grabcar or Uber) they would be covered for the trip in the case of an accident.

To be fair, the Comfort app worked just as well as the Grab cab and performed in exactly the same way ie. tracking driver, estimated arrival time et. al although as mentioned above they have probably played catch-up since Grab became popular.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
https://www.techinasia.com/grabtaxi-eat-comforts-lunch
Why GrabTaxi is giving Singapore’s largest taxi operator a run for its money

HawyeeHawyee Auyong
6:59 PM on Apr 21, 2014

Hawyee is a research associate at the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy in Singapore. Opinions expressed here are his own.

Friday was the first time I used the taxi booking app GrabTaxi to book a cab. I had a lunch appointment to go to and it had just started raining. None of the official apps from the taxi companies – Comfort, Trans-Cab, and SMRT – were successful in getting me a cab. The third try with GrabTaxi was successful. The cab arrived in a minute. On the way to lunch, I asked the driver about his experience with GrabTaxi and here’s what I found out.

GrabTaxi has a rapidly growing number of cab drivers using its app
Comfort, Singapore’s largest taxi company, has around 16,600 cabs plying the road. GrabTaxi has 10,000 registered drivers now in the country, making it the second largest ‘taxi operator’; and it’s rapidly signing up more drivers.

The way GrabTaxi broke into the Singapore market was by solving a demand and supply problem. When it launched, it absorbed the booking fee for commuters — the best it could do since it didn’t have a mechanism to pay commuters. On top of the normal booking charges, the company paid drivers a bonus of about $6 for each booking accepted. This in effect quadrupled the drivers’ cut from a normal booking. These two strategies allowed it to build up a large supply of both commuters and drivers from early on.

The driver I spoke to now takes more than 10 jobs a day from GrabTaxi, but only two from Comfort. The number of bookings now available through GrabTaxi is now so good that some taxi drivers are buying new phones just to be able to take GrabTaxi bookings (since the driver app is only available for Android phones currently).

GrabTaxi in Singapore easily completes more than 200,000 bookings a week now with its present fleet of drivers. It is arranging regular meetings with LTA to show the authorities that it has a higher rate of success in matching drivers to commuters than the current fleet operators.

GrabTaxi is more commuter- and driver-friendly
GrabTaxi’s app is fast. Because it is constantly updated on the locations of its drivers, it knows exactly which drivers to tender a booking to. All drivers within a certain radius of a booking is given a chance to bid. A notification pops up on each driver’s phone, and if many drivers bid for a job, the conflict is immediately resolved by Grab Taxi’s servers and the successful driver is notified immediately, and so is the commuter.

When a booking is made by a commuter, the phone shows in real-time a list of cabs being offered the job. Once a match is made, the commuter’s and the driver’s phone numbers are immediately made available to each other so that they can communicate about any unexpected issues. Dialing can be done from within the app.

Because drivers and commuters are likely to be using 3G devices, the response times are much faster than those from the operator’s terminals, which are on the much slower GPRS. This eliminates annoyances such as many drivers turning up for the same job or commuters getting on another cab because they think their booking was not successful.

For the commuter, using GrabTaxi eliminates the hassle of trying to book cabs using three or four different apps when he’s in a hurry for a taxi. Moreover, the real time feedback that a booking is unsuccessful means that the commuter can immediately try the booking again. Unlike Comfort’s app, Grab Taxi does not ask the commuter to “try again in ten minutes” (probably because Comfort’s servers are overloaded, or they do not want unsuccessful bookings to mar a KPI which LTA monitors).

By forcing the commuter to key in his destination, GrabTaxi also allows drivers to take bookings that are along their way if they are headed for a shift change. This is one of the major reasons why it is usually difficult to book a cab from all fleet operators during the popular shift change times.

GrabTaxi has changed the power dynamics between drivers and the cab companies
Comfort has leveraged its size to consolidate its market position. Having the largest fleet of taxis in Singapore means that commuters are more likely to book its taxis, and having more bookings makes it more attractive to drivers, who are charged a higher monthly rental rate of about S$10 (US$8) more than smaller operators.

Apps like GrabTaxi and Easy Taxi are eroding this market power. According to my driver, the number of taxi drivers waiting to get a Comfort cab has dropped drastically, to the extent that Comfort is now offering its existing drivers a referral fee to introduce new drivers.

By monitoring the number of bookings a driver takes through the operator’s terminal, Comfort can identify but not prove which of its drivers are now relying on GrabTaxi for bookings. My driver was called up by Comfort, which wanted to know why he was taking GrabTaxi bookings. He replied that it was because GrabTaxi was where the customers were.

(See more: Reinventing four wheels: 14 apps that are changing the way we get around)

Some drivers have already switched from Comfort to the smaller operators in order to take advantage of lower rentals. My driver is attached to his cab, but he says that Comfort has started to nitpick with drivers who refuse to stop using GrabTaxi. However, now that these drivers don’t need to rely on Comfort’s market power, they are more than happy to switch to an operator with cheaper rentals, so it’s Comfort’s loss either way.

Only recently has Comfort started to listen to its drivers in improving its app by requiring the commuter to enter a destination. Previously, it had ignored calls by drivers to do so.

GrabTaxi operates a high-margin business
GrabTaxi’s monetization scheme works as follows: drivers have to pre-pay GrabTaxi to be part of its ‘fleet’. When a new driver signs up, he is given a $10 credit from which commissions are deducted. The driver has to top up his account when it’s exhausted in order to receive more bookings. Receiving pre-payments allows Grab Taxi to invest the funds before it is spent.

Compare GrabTaxi’s business model with Comfort’s. GrabTaxi has almost no fixed costs beyond a nominal office and some IT infrastructure, whereas Comfort has to buy, service, and support a huge fleet of taxis and cohort of drivers.

Let’s say GrabTaxi eventually levels off at 15,000 drivers taking five bookings a day, from which it takes a S$0.30 cut each. This works out to a revenue of S$8 million (US$6.4 million) a year, just for being a middleman (and not counting advanced bookings). Moreover, GrabTaxi’s IT operating costs will fall every year because of Moore’s Law.

Comfort has to compete or die
I think at this point, it is a foregone conclusion that taxi bookings will eventually be dominated by operator-independent services, whether it is GrabTaxi or another company.

For too long, Comfort has relied on its market dominance and has stagnated in improving its services. The usefulness of its electronic terminals (developed in the early 2000s by ST Electronics and running Windows CE) for bookings is probably at an end.

The arrival of GrabTaxi has quickly shown how outdated parts of Comfort’s business model are. Seldom have I seen a market so quickly disrupted. To survive and thrive, Comfort needs to refocus on its core business, that of leasing cabs to drivers.

It needs to compete on offering better rental rates to drivers, and on providing cabs that are more reliable than other operators’. This means, among other things, a reversal of its policy of hollowing out its maintenance crew, which has seen an inexorable replacement of experienced local mechanics with cheaper foreign labour, and which many drivers have complained about.

This will be fun.

Editor’s note:

GrabTaxi is unable to confirm whether they indeed have 10,000 registered drivers in Singapore completing 200,000 bookings a week. Nonetheless, a GrabTaxi spokesperson has said that they have the second largest network of taxi drivers in Singapore, and are receiving one booking every two seconds regionally. Extrapolated, that’s about 302,400 bookings a week, which could make the estimated figure a bit of an exaggeration since GrabTaxi operates in six cities.

Comfort has yet to respond to Tech in Asia.

gatehousethetinkertailor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for the article. I wonder how Grab has evolved its business model since 2014 especially since it has an entrenched foothold in the market as the go to app for getting a cab. It will not surprise me if the taxi operators are fluffing their drivers to dissuade them from signing up for Grab by threatening non-insurance coverage for Grab pickups.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Grab is now the darling of the Asian tech world. They have been receiving funds from Temasek, SoftBank, and they have also hired some Google techs. Even SMRT this week is planning to work with them.

The irony is that they only have an app and servers. They don't own any taxi, lease taxis or anything that is remotely connected with transport infrastructure. They don't even care how the taxi companies operate. All they did was to deliver the best app for both the passenger and the taxi driver.

Note the comment about NTUC Comfort not listening to the cabbies on app feedback.

This is a classic example where government monopolies and GLC have repeatedly failed. Easy link which is owned by LTA would have been the appropriate party to enter this space. As you know GLCs will never touch anything that is risky for their image. So they wait for someone else to succeed and use their monopolistic powers to run it in Singapore.

The 2 Malaysians who founded Grab, like Tong Fernandes of Air Asia have again shown the locals how to suck eggs. If you recall, Tony Fernandes made a number of visits to Singapore to get the authorities to come on board including visits to Temasek. It came to nought. Temasek instead put their eggs in 2 other airlines and they never came close to Air Asia. One even folded.

Thanks for the article. I wonder how Grab has evolved its business model since 2014 especially since it has an entrenched foothold in the market as the go to app for getting a cab. It will not surprise me if the taxi operators are fluffing their drivers to dissuade them from signing up for Grab by threatening non-insurance coverage for Grab pickups.

no_faith

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Local union exist for its non existence.:biggrin:
Affecting Comfort biz is affecting pay and pay exec bonus.:biggrin:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

From grab taxi now they have grab car....
From stealing cab companies booking fees now they operated machiam uber model alongside to further breath down cab companies necks.....
I mistakenly thought that cab companies got to share a cut of booking fees with grab taxi.....seem that's not the case with grab taxi grabbing all. Taxis companies are fucked big time. That's just great news. More to come

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The more pronounced impact of Car sharing apps is they effectively allow 霸王车 model to be operated again after 40 years.

During the last 40 years sinkie taxi companies have grown fat and lazy due to protection by gahmen. Now they are crumbling in the face of new technology

WELCOME TO THE DIGITAL WORLD, BITCHES!

businesses to be affected by collaborative consumption:

Hotels - by accommodation apps like airbnb
Mega gyms - by gym sharing apps like k fit
Cable TV providers - by online content streamers like netflix

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
actually, guys, you all forgotten about the quality of drivers. in sinkieland, the best drivers are still from comfort cos' of the strict rules they laid down for the drivers.
so if you want to arrive safe and sound at your destination, and have a pleasant journey, better ride with comfort.

all taxi companies are the same, the way they charge their rental and squeeze their drivers. but other taxi drivers, especially those from transcab have the worst reputation for being rowdy to passengers and reckless on the roads. the last i heard many have switched back to taxi from Uber and Grab. these bunch of drivers are mostly sacked by comfort. that is the difference!

i see no future in the taxi app as after few years down the road, many passengers will still stick with comfort.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i see no future in the taxi app as after few years down the road, many passengers will still stick with comfort.

Have to disagree. Unless there is an outright ban by the government, taxi apps will be here to stay. But the most likely scenario is Comfort will adjust their model so that they can keep up with the competition (in terms of price and service level).

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Have to disagree. Unless there is an outright ban by the government, taxi apps will be here to stay. But the most likely scenario is Comfort will adjust their model so that they can keep up with the competition (in terms of price and service level).

yes, but many will still use comfort dedicated app., uber and grab apps will be redundant.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
yes, but many will still use comfort dedicated app., uber and grab apps will be redundant.

Like i said earlier... Grab and uber and not just booking apps. They are new business models which are destroying the traditional leaser-driver model the local taxi companies operate by today.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
You were in the taxi trade and you are now into investment so you should be aware what is going on. Grab app biggest customers on the taxi side are Comfort drivers. They use both Comfort and Grab Apps. Temasek has invested in Grab so has AliBaba and SoftBank. It operates in 30 cities in South East Asia and on the customer side, their growth is 6 times each year for the last 2 years.

The Comfort taxi drivers who use Grab app are smart as they cover both options and operate with a bigger catchment pool of customers. Eventually the customer will come to a stage where one of the app will be his default and all signs indicate it will Grab. Why do you think Temasek invested in it more than 2 years ago.

SMRT is also partnering Grab.

The CTO of Grab came from Google and not from NTU. The founders came from Malaysia and not Singapore.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Like i said earlier... Grab and uber and not just booking apps. They are new business models which are destroying the traditional leaser-driver model the local taxi companies operate by today.

not so easy as it seem. comfort is brick and mortar type of company. moreover, it's glc, untouchable in s'pore.

we shall see who is right in time to come.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
not so easy as it seem. comfort is brick and mortar type of company. moreover, it's glc, untouchable in s'pore.

we shall see who is right in time to come.

The GLC is a factor. But when Temasek owns stakes in both Comfort and Grab, Ho ching has already hedged her bets.

It's 2016. Why do you still believe in brick and mortar? Haven't you heard what happened to HMV? Borders?

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
actually, guys, you all forgotten about the quality of drivers. in sinkieland, the best drivers are still from comfort cos' of the strict rules they laid down for the drivers.
so if you want to arrive safe and sound at your destination, and have a pleasant journey, better ride with comfort.

all taxi companies are the same, the way they charge their rental and squeeze their drivers. but other taxi drivers, especially those from transcab have the worst reputation for being rowdy to passengers and reckless on the roads. the last i heard many have switched back to taxi from Uber and Grab. these bunch of drivers are mostly sacked by comfort. that is the difference!

Choped for future reference to ridicule Krafty the loser

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The GLC is a factor. But when Temasek owns stakes in both Comfort and Grab, Ho ching has already hedged her bets.

It's 2016. Why do you still believe in brick and mortar? Haven't you heard what happened to HMV? Borders?

you really think ho jinx so smart to hedge against her own glc toy. it's another propaganda to show the vested interest gahment have for start-up companies. look at how gahment has been echoing entrepreneur spirit to the young blooded sinkies.

certain business is more suited to brick and mortar model, remember dot com boom...:p

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You were in the taxi trade and you are now into investment so you should be aware what is going on. Grab app biggest customers on the taxi side are Comfort drivers. They use both Comfort and Grab Apps. Temasek has invested in Grab so has AliBaba and SoftBank. It operates in 30 cities in South East Asia and on the customer side, their growth is 6 times each year for the last 2 years.

The Comfort taxi drivers who use Grab app are smart as they cover both options and operate with a bigger catchment pool of customers. Eventually the customer will come to a stage where one of the app will be his default and all signs indicate it will Grab. Why do you think Temasek invested in it more than 2 years ago.

SMRT is also partnering Grab.

The CTO of Grab came from Google and not from NTU. The founders came from Malaysia and not Singapore.

your assumption of comfort drivers using both apps to find customers is unfounded, purely out of your own imagination. there are drivers using both apps cos' it's in fashion. comfort has its own steady stream of corporate customers, all they need is just give the driver their corporate cards to swipe and all is clear. besides, do you really think taxi drivers are superman trying to get callls from both sides, it doesn't work this way. you have to drive to know, outsider analysis is merely half past six. i firmly believe that this hello kitty trend of taxi app will die down. let's give them another 3 years, we shall see who is right then.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Have you heard of "Concur"? It is related to corporate customers.

your assumption of comfort drivers using both apps to find customers is unfounded, purely out of your own imagination. there are drivers using both apps cos' it's in fashion. comfort has its own steady stream of corporate customers, all they need is just give the driver their corporate cards to swipe and all is clear. besides, do you really think taxi drivers are superman trying to get callls from both sides, it doesn't work this way. you have to drive to know, outsider analysis is merely half past six. i firmly believe that this hello kitty trend of taxi app will die down. let's give them another 3 years, we shall see who is right then.