• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Tan Kin Lian support thread

Hightech88

Alfrescian
Loyal
https://www.straitstimes.com/singap...urns-up-at-walkabout-to-support-tan-kin-lian#:

Tan Cheng Bock endorses Tan Kin Lian’s presidential bid​

wgt-tcbtkltsj-270323.jpg

(From left) Mr Tan Jee Say, presidential candidate Tan Kin Lian and Dr Tan Cheng Bock at People’s Park Food Centre on Aug 27, 2023. ST PHOTO: CHONG JUN LIANG

SINGAPORE – Former presidential candidate Tan Cheng Bock, 83, has thrown his support behind one-time rival Tan Kin Lian’s bid for the Istana.
At a press conference on Sunday morning, Dr Tan said he was endorsing Mr Tan’s campaign in his personal capacity, as they are “comrades who share a common vision (of) an independent president”.
Dr Tan, who is chairman of the Progress Singapore Party (PSP), said voters should not “get distracted by many, many issues”, and should focus on the the purpose of the election.

This is to find an independent person for the Istana that will take care of the reserves and ensure that the country is run by people of quality, he said.
“Somebody who’s with the establishment, I always suspect that this collusion, together with the establishment people, maybe makes them very uncomfortable if they choose to take decisions that is contrary to what the establishment people want,” said Dr Tan, without elaborating.
Dr Tan is the second former presidential candidate to stand with Mr Tan Kin Lian, 75, who has also been endorsed by Mr Tan Jee Say.

In the 2011 presidential election, Dr Tan garnered 34.85 per cent of the vote, Mr Tan Jee Say secured 25.04 per cent, while Mr Tan Kin Lian received 4.91 per cent. Dr Tony Tan won with 35.2 per cent of the votes and became Singapore’s seventh president.

At the press conference, Mr Tan Kin Lian was asked if he planned to appoint both Dr Tan Cheng Bock and Mr Tan Jee Say to the Council of Presidential Advisors (CPA), should he become president.

The CPA advises the president on the exercise of his custodial powers. Of its eight members, three are appointed at the discretion of the president, three are appointed by the prime minister, and one each is appointed by the chief justice and chairman of the Public Service Commission.

Mr Tan said he was quite sure that both his one-time competitors “share the same vision of an effective independent president”.

“They will be excellent candidates to the council,” he said. “I’ve not asked them this question yet, so we have to wait for Sept 1, for me to be elected.”
Prior to the press conference, Dr Tan accompanied Mr Tan Kin Lian at a walkabout at People’s Park Food Centre on Sunday.

At one point, Mr Tan Kin Lian was flanked by both Dr Tan and Mr Tan Jee Say, as they waved to the press and well-wishers at the food centre.
Dr Tan is the latest opposition politician to back Mr Tan Kin Lian’s presidential campaign. Others include his seconder Lim Tean, founder of People’s Voice (PV), and Mr Prabu Ramachandran of PV, his principal election agent.

On Sunday, former PSP member Brad Bowyer and Ms Michelle Lee, formerly from the Red Dot United political party, were also spotted at the walkabout.
Mr Tan Jee Say, who founded now-defunct political party Singaporeans First, is Mr Tan Kin Lian’s proposer at this presidential election. Mr Leong Sze Hian and Dr Michael Fang, both PV candidates at the last general election, are respectively an assenter and a volunteer with Mr Tan Kin Lian’s campaign team.
wgt-poster-270323_3.jpg

A poster bearing the faces of (from left) Dr Tan Cheng Bock, presidential candidate Tan Kin Lian and Mr Tan Jee Say seen at Chin Swee Road on Aug 27. ST

On whether being backed by two prominent opposition figures here - Dr Tan and Mr Tan Jee Say - could throw into question his independence as president, Mr Tan Kin Lian said he intends to be an independent president who takes into account all input.

“I do treasure all inputs from other sectors of the people that convey the right information about what is happening on the ground,” he said.
Mr Tan also pointed to his record of expressing an independent view on government policies as a private citizen.
“So the fact that I’m independent in my thinking is not an issue,” he said.

During the press conference, Dr Tan was asked what he thought of Mr Tan Kin Lian’s campaign so far, including Mr Tan’s allegations that he was the target of a smear campaign by his opponents and the ruling party, and the controversy over Mr Tan’s Facebook posts about “pretty girls”.
Dr Tan said “gutter politics have been issues (that are) very defamatory to the individual’s standing”.

He noted that candidates in this election went through a stringent qualification process and were issued certificates of eligibility by the Presidential Elections Committee to show they have the financial ability to be president, and that they are characters of good standing.

“This is an approval stamp by the committee in-charge, so what else can we say?” said Dr Tan. “Then you better question the authorities who approve the candidates how come there are still slip-ups, and so on.”
wgt-tklpresser-270323.jpg

(From left) Mr Tan Jee Say, presidential candidate Tan Kin Lian and Dr Tan Cheng Bock pose after the press conference held on Aug 27. ST PHOTO: MARK CHEONG

Dr Tan was a People’s Action Party (PAP) Member of Parliament who held the Ayer Rajah seat for 26 years from 1980 to 2006, when his stronghold was absorbed into West Coast GRC.

He announced his second presidential bid in 2017 but failed due to the Government’s decision to reserve the election for Malay candidates. He also did not meet the criteria of helming a company with $500 million in shareholder equity.

Dr Tan then founded the PSP in 2019. At the 2020 General Election, he contested West Coast GRC as part of a five-member team with Mr Jeffrey Khoo, Ms Hazel Poa, Mr Leong Mun Wai and Mr Nadarajah Loganathan.

The PSP team secured 48.31 per cent of the votes in West Coast GRC against a PAP team comprising Mr S Iswaran, who was then Minister for Communications and Information, Mr Desmond Lee, who was Minister for Social and Family Development, Ms Foo Mee Har, Mr Ang Wei Neng and Ms Rachel Ong.
Asked whether he was worried that endorsing Mr Tan Kin Lian would impact the PSP’s performance at the next general election, Dr Tan said there is always a risk in every decision.

But he believes that Singaporean voters will view how the PSP and its two Non-Constituency MPs have performed, and vote accordingly at the next general election, which must be held by 2025.

PTADER

Alfrescian
Loyal

For those who do not know much about TCB and his history, here is one of my posts from the past ...

https://www.sammyboy.com/threads/progress-singapore-party-unveils-palm-tree-as-party-symbol.266953/page-2#post-2887220

TCB was a loyal member of the PAP for 26 years from 1980 - 2006. He went quiet after he stood down in 2006 but came back to life in 2011 when he decided he wanted to be President. Then suddenly, he started being a "mentor" to, and was giving "advice" to opposition politicians and made himself visible at the April/May 2011 opposition rallies preceding the August 2011 Presidential elections.

The PSP is his brainchild to avenge himself as he imagines he has been denied a second chance to be President in 2017. Those gullible Sinkies need to ask themselves: why was he with the PAP for 26 years from 1980 - 2006 if all the PAP's practices and policies, with the exception of one or two minor ones, which he stood for and defended when he was with them, are now suddenly unacceptable and anathema to him?

Having remained quiet when the likes of CTP, TLH, FS, JBJ, CSJ, etc were abused by the PAP, TCB now wants to play opposition hero to Sinkies?

Having eaten out of the PAP trough for 26 long years, TCB now wants to play saviour and hero to Sinkies?

Last edited:

Hightech88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Now with TCB's official endorsement of TKL, my prediction of the final results are as follows:
Reference from last PE 2011 results: Tony Tan = 35.2%, TCB = 34.85%, TJS = 25.04%

Scenario 1: TKL won in a freak election taking 90% voteshare from TJS & 50% from TCB

TKL = 45% (5% + 22.5% + 17.5%)
Tharman = 44% (after automatic recount triggered)
NKS = 11% (Lose deposit)

Scenario 2: TKL won in a freak election taking 80% voteshare from TJS & 40% from TCB

TKL = 39% (5% + 20% + 14%)
Tharman = 38% (after automatic recount triggered)
NKS = 23% (Got back deposit, Sybil gave him a big kiss in public)

For above 2 scenarios:
  • Many Tharman supporters weep openly and mourn for the unexpected loss
  • Analysts concerned about chaotic political climate moving forward
  • Opposition parties and their supporters celebrate island wide
  • PM Lee calls for calm and says cabinet will meet to discuss contingency plans
  • SPF and SAF on high alert
----------------

Scenario 3: TKL lost, taking 70% voteshare from TJS & 30% from TCB

TKL = 33% (5% + 17.5% + 10.5%)
Tharman = 45%
NKS = 22 %

Scenario 4: NKS wins in a freak election with Tharman losing narrowly

TKL = 31%
Tharman = 34%
NKS = 35%

Scenario 5: Tharman won comfortably with more than half of voteshare

TKL = 31%
Tharman = 51% (Power of PAP machinery)
NKS = 18%

Screenshot-2023-08-27-123023.png

PTADER

Alfrescian
Loyal
TCB and his attempt at pulling strings and how he lost face. This is another reason why he is mad with the party in which he had been a balls carrying member, and whose trough he fed from, for 26 long years.

http://www.emmanueldaniel.com/the-rich-and-powerless-of-sentosa-cove/

"... At the meeting, a certain Dr Tan Cheng Bock, who had become increasingly vocal in the email track, kept volunteering himself to coordinate with the SDC on behalf of the residents. I vaguely knew his name as being an old-timer member of parliament and, if I was not mistaken, one of three “mayors” – a now discarded policy to create yet another layer of something over the heads of the elected representatives.

He was obviously a well-meaning old man, but man, he sounded like a national day parade all through the evening, with phrases like “we should all work together to build a (sic) harmonious living” and so on. But by this time, the residents were in fact grateful that someone with the background that he had was volunteering – it could not have come at a better time.

As the meeting drew to a close, Dr Tan said some strange things. He said that in the time he was in government he had seen city planning close hand and that he will closely study some of the points raised together with the SDC. I looked around the room, and it was obvious that nobody at the SDC was planning on inviting him to study anything with them. He forgot he was no longer in government.

He then asked the SDC to build a cohesive “community” for the residents. Now why would they do that? He was talking to the same property developer that was not relenting on a stupid $7 entry charge for visitors for the past two hours. Also, developers don’t build communities, residents do.

A few days after that meeting, Dr Adrian Tan Cheng Bock wrote into the email track to introduce himself. “I fought and won 6 general elections. 1980 to 2006,” he said. “Singaporeans know me as the former Member of Parliament for Ayer Rajah. I had the distinction of winning the highest no. of votes in my last General Election in 2001 capturing 88% of the total votes…I decide to stay in Sentosa for my retirement years but I will come out of my retirement and help settle this issue.”

I must say that it did flash across my mind that if he was really so influential, why did he need to advertise himself as if nobody remembered him....

... Unfortunately, Dr Adrian Tan Cheng Bock was a tragic character in this plot. His subsequent efforts were disastrous. When he did secure what he thought was a meeting with the board members of the SDC, he frantically asked as many residents to write-in to support his position, and many did. It was not the board that met him, and the answer to his request to waive the entrance fees was still a simple “no”.

Like Don Quixote, he then went back to the SDC with what he thought was a compromised position that they could not refuse – please, reduce the entry charge by half. All that the windmill had to do was ignore him. It did not occur to the people in the email track that if what we were fighting for what was the very principle of charging a entrance fee to visitors in the first place, why were we suddenly bargaining for half price? Maybe, by this time, they did not care.

The only people more tragic than Dr Tan was the number of the obviously accomplished multi-millionaire residents who were simply clueless about what was really happening to them. They were hemmed in by their own self created glass houses, worried about all the most irrelevant things and then lost the plot. Clueless is the worst characterisation you can give to people who think too well of themselves and equate wealth with intelligence and power. Because even after you call them clueless, they remain clueless.

Dr Tan did write to the member of parliament for the area, who also happened to be a minister. But the reply he got was not from the minister nor the minister’s assistant, nor from the minister’s public representatives office. It was from the more-Singaporean-than-Singaporean chief executive of the SDC, who started his letter with, “Minister Lim, in his capacity as Member of Parliament for West Coast GRC, has asked Sentosa Development Corporation (SDC) to reply to your letter..”

You would have imagined that a minister, a fellow party member in the battle for votes, from a part of the country that included the constituency that Dr Tan once represented, would at least acknowledge a comrade directly, even superficially, because every vote counted. 30 years in politics, counting for nothing.

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
TCB and his attempt at pulling strings and how he lost face. This is another reason why he is mad with the party in which he had been a balls carrying member, and whose trough he fed from, for 26 long years.

http://www.emmanueldaniel.com/the-rich-and-powerless-of-sentosa-cove/

"... At the meeting, a certain Dr Tan Cheng Bock, who had become increasingly vocal in the email track, kept volunteering himself to coordinate with the SDC on behalf of the residents. I vaguely knew his name as being an old-timer member of parliament and, if I was not mistaken, one of three “mayors” – a now discarded policy to create yet another layer of something over the heads of the elected representatives.

He was obviously a well-meaning old man, but man, he sounded like a national day parade all through the evening, with phrases like “we should all work together to build a (sic) harmonious living” and so on. But by this time, the residents were in fact grateful that someone with the background that he had was volunteering – it could not have come at a better time.

As the meeting drew to a close, Dr Tan said some strange things. He said that in the time he was in government he had seen city planning close hand and that he will closely study some of the points raised together with the SDC. I looked around the room, and it was obvious that nobody at the SDC was planning on inviting him to study anything with them. He forgot he was no longer in government.

He then asked the SDC to build a cohesive “community” for the residents. Now why would they do that? He was talking to the same property developer that was not relenting on a stupid $7 entry charge for visitors for the past two hours. Also, developers don’t build communities, residents do.

A few days after that meeting, Dr Adrian Tan Cheng Bock wrote into the email track to introduce himself. “I fought and won 6 general elections. 1980 to 2006,” he said. “Singaporeans know me as the former Member of Parliament for Ayer Rajah. I had the distinction of winning the highest no. of votes in my last General Election in 2001 capturing 88% of the total votes…I decide to stay in Sentosa for my retirement years but I will come out of my retirement and help settle this issue.”

I must say that it did flash across my mind that if he was really so influential, why did he need to advertise himself as if nobody remembered him....

... Unfortunately, Dr Adrian Tan Cheng Bock was a tragic character in this plot. His subsequent efforts were disastrous. When he did secure what he thought was a meeting with the board members of the SDC, he frantically asked as many residents to write-in to support his position, and many did. It was not the board that met him, and the answer to his request to waive the entrance fees was still a simple “no”.

Like Don Quixote, he then went back to the SDC with what he thought was a compromised position that they could not refuse – please, reduce the entry charge by half. All that the windmill had to do was ignore him. It did not occur to the people in the email track that if what we were fighting for what was the very principle of charging a entrance fee to visitors in the first place, why were we suddenly bargaining for half price? Maybe, by this time, they did not care.

The only people more tragic than Dr Tan was the number of the obviously accomplished multi-millionaire residents who were simply clueless about what was really happening to them. They were hemmed in by their own self created glass houses, worried about all the most irrelevant things and then lost the plot. Clueless is the worst characterisation you can give to people who think too well of themselves and equate wealth with intelligence and power. Because even after you call them clueless, they remain clueless.

Dr Tan did write to the member of parliament for the area, who also happened to be a minister. But the reply he got was not from the minister nor the minister’s assistant, nor from the minister’s public representatives office. It was from the more-Singaporean-than-Singaporean chief executive of the SDC, who started his letter with, “Minister Lim, in his capacity as Member of Parliament for West Coast GRC, has asked Sentosa Development Corporation (SDC) to reply to your letter..”

You would have imagined that a minister, a fellow party member in the battle for votes, from a part of the country that included the constituency that Dr Tan once represented, would at least acknowledge a comrade directly, even superficially, because every vote counted. 30 years in politics, counting for nothing.
Very insightful article indeed. So basically, Tan Cheng Bock was such a useless has-been that the MP for that area didn’t even bother to reply him directly.

And the old fart continue to think he’s some missing messiah to save Singapore by supporting TKL?! Lol

Hightech88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just came back from grocery shopping..Knn whole farking street all lined up with 她妈的 fark face posters see already also dulan..NBCB...

Hightech88

Alfrescian
Loyal
One Vote Three Presidents. Knn where to find such a good deal? Huat Ah!

nah534m5zkkb1.jpg

How about vote for Tharman or NKS? You will get another 6 years of this lor...
maxresdefault.jpg

Hightech88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cock song claims that " Opposition members' endorsement of Tan Kin Lian confuses and polarises S'poreans by politicising PE, says Ng Kok Song "
but wasn't Tharman openly endorsed by PM Lee, who is the head of government and PAP? So in fact PAP is the one making it political for their own advantage while technically only appearing apolitical under the law, LOL. What hypocrisy.

Knn PAP 做初一 of course we must 做十五 wat.

Hightech88

Alfrescian
Loyal

When OTC's wife died, TKL organised 1000 condolences from Singaporeans. He also wrote to ST Forum requesting PAP Gov to fly flag at half-mast.​

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tan_Kin_Lian#Friendship_with_Ong_Teng_Cheong
" When Ong's wife died, shortly after the second charity dinner, Tan organised 1,000 messages of condolences from Singaporeans, submitted through the Internet, and presented the book to Ong. "

https://eresources.nlb.gov.sg/newspapers/digitised/article/straitstimes19990803-1.2.54.5

"Fly flag at half-mast for First Lady's funeral I Wish to appeal to the Government to lower the State flag to half-mast today, the day of the funeral of our First Lady. This will be a sign of respect, and compassion for the President and his family on the loss.

Why is the State flag not being flown at half-mast after the death of the First Lady? Many people are asking the same question over and and over again." - Tan Kin Lian. LETTER – Fly flag at half-mast for First Lady's funeral. The Straits Times, 3 August 1999