• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Tan Howe Liang Receives $10,000

terry t

Alfrescian
Loyal
What a joke, those joker onli want to find out more from him onli oly event time?After more than 30 yrs?

SINGAPORE -

His silver medal victory at the Rome Olympics is etched on many Singaporeans' minds.

On September 8, 1960, weightlifter Tan Howe Liang hoisted a total of 380kg in the lightweight category (under 67.5kg) to earn the Republic's first Olympic medal.

This year marks the 50th anniversary of Tan's achievements at the Palazetto Dello Sport Hall but life hasn't been smooth-sailing for the 77-year-old.

While he declined to be interviewed for this story, Channel NewsAsia has learnt that the sports veteran is financially strapped after his 61-year-old wife was diagnosed with breast cancer.

According to sources, the former weightlifter and his three children have spent an estimated $100,000 on Mrs Tan's surgery and follow-up treatments.

A former store clerk and taxi driver, Tan now works as a gym supervisor at the Singapore Sports Council's (SSC) Bedok facility, earning about $1,000 a month.

In addition, he also receives a monthly allowance of $390 from the People's Association for his Olympic feat.

Tan, who lives in a three-room Housing Board flat with his wife and daughter, a teacher, also received $10,000 from NTUC Fairprice in 2008 after the women's table tennis team's silver triumph at the Beijing Games.

While Tan has not sought financial assistance, Channel NewsAsia understands that the sports fraternity here is ready to extend a helping hand.

Speaking to Channel NewsAsia on Wednesday, Dr Tan Eng Liang, president of Olympians Singapore, said: "I don't know much of the circumstances as he has kept it very quiet. (But) if he needs help, we will find out how to help and something will be done."

Asked if there was a likelihood of Tan following in the footsteps of other Olympians and World Cup footballers who have sold their medals and memorabilia for cash, Dr Tan stressed that would not be the case.

The weightlifter's silver medal, leotard and belt from the 1960 Olympics are currently housed in the SSC's Sports Museum.

They will be moved to the $1.33 billion Sports Hub when it is completed in April 2014.

Said Dr Tan, who represented the Republic in water polo at the 1956 Olympiad in Melbourne: "The medal is a piece of Singapore history. If he needs help, the Olympians will rally around Howe Liang."

Tan was drawn to weightlifting after witnessing a competition at the Gay World Amusement Park in 1952, becoming the national junior and senior lightweight champion a year later and kick-starting a career that saw him clinching four gold medals - Commonwealth Games (1958, 1962), Asian Games (1958) and the inaugural SEAP Games (1959).

His Olympic silver came a year later when he pipped 33 others in Rome.

Though he retired in 1967, Tan's achievements were not forgotten by the international sports community.

In 1984, he became the first weightlifter to be given the International Weightlifting Federation's Gold award.

He also received the International Olympic Committee's Silver Pin in 1989.

Tan went on to guide several future champions, among them Commonwealth Games bronze medallists Teo Yong Joo and Chua Koon Siong.

He was also instrumental in getting Youth Olympic Games weightlifter Jamie Wee, 17, started last year.

Singapore Weightlifting Federation (SWF) president Tom Liaw said the association would lend a helping hand if required.

The SWF had approached Tan this year to sign him on as a part-time coach but he was unable to commit his time due to his wife's illness.

Said Liaw: "We intend to find out more from him - we don't know the extent of his financial situation as he is a very private person. If there's a need, we will discuss it among the committee members and see what we can do to help raise funds. He is a sporting icon."[/B]

M

Mdm Tang

Where got? S'pore became self-independent from the British in 1959.

Ah Liang got his silver medal in Rome Olympics in 1960.

That time Ah Liang who was working as a clerk at Cathay Organisation, and had to use his own money to finance his training.

Fuck the govt for overlooking his achievement for so long!

Bro ,

is this the same Cathay Organisation :

Tan could have climbed the Corporate ladder instead :

http://business.asiaone.com/Business/News/Story/A1Story20120712-358657.html

Cathay exec Suhaimi is an Achiever

He worked his way up from behind the counter of a KFC outlet to the position of chief executive of Cathay Organisation Holdings. -my paper
Chan Choong Han

Thu, Jul 12, 2012
my paper

He worked his way up from behind the counter of a KFC outlet to the position of chief executive of Cathay Organisation Holdings, which has an annual turnover of $200 million.

Mr Suhaimi Rafdi (left), 43, a widower and father of four, managed to accomplish all that in 20 years. For his achievements, he was awarded this year's prestigious Berita Harian Achiever of the Year Award last night, at the Shangri-La Hotel, by Mr Chan Chun Sing, Acting Minister for Community Development, Youth and Sports.

The annual award, now in its 14th year, is organised by Singapore Press Holdings' Malay daily, Berita Harian, and honours Malay/ Muslim individuals for achievements in their chosen fields.

Mr Suhaimi said: "Every morning I wake up, I thank god for giving me another day, to live life to the fullest."

terry t

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anyway this great man, will just live on..at his age, what else to look upon.just day to day enjoy the moment togather and care for his life partner to part..you have my fully deal respect. Mr Tan Howe Liang.

M

Mdm Tang

http://stprdfeeds.straitstimes.com/...wins-singapores-1st-individual-medal-52-years

The Straits Times
www.straitstimes.comPublished on Aug 02, 2012
Olympics: Feng wins Singapore's 1st individual medal in 52 yearsFeng Tianwei becomes only the second Singaporean to win an individual medal. The first was weightlifter Tan Howe Liang, who took silver at the 1960 Rome Games.

By May Chen in London

LONDON - History was made in the ExCel Arena on Wednesday afternoon when Singaporean paddler Feng Tianwei won the women's singles bronze medal match.

She took just 25 minutes to bulldoze past Japan's Kasumi Ishikawa 11-9, 11-6, 11-6, 11-5.

The Japanese, a higher-ranked opponent at world No. 6, stood no chance at all. Feng is ranked eighth in the world.

This is Singapore's first table tennis singles medal, and the first win in the bronze medal match in four tries. Li Jiawei had twice fell at this hurdle at the 2004 Athens and 2008 Beijing Games. Jing Junhong, now the women's team deputy head coach, was unsuccessful at the 2000 Sydney edition. Jing was by Feng's side for her historic win on Wednesday.

Feng is the only Singaporean to win an individual medal besides weightlifter Tan Howe Liang, who took silver at the 1960 Rome Games.

She will feature next in the women's team event, where she will spearhead the team's charge to retain its silver from the 2008 Games.

Copyright © 2012 Singapore Press Holdings. All rights reserved.

Merl Haggard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bro ,

is this the same Cathay Organisation :

Tan could have climbed the Corporate ladder instead :

http://business.asiaone.com/Business/News/Story/A1Story20120712-358657.html

Cathay exec Suhaimi is an Achiever

He worked his way up from behind the counter of a KFC outlet to the position of chief executive of Cathay Organisation Holdings. -my paper
Chan Choong Han

Thu, Jul 12, 2012
my paper

He worked his way up from behind the counter of a KFC outlet to the position of chief executive of Cathay Organisation Holdings, which has an annual turnover of $200 million.

Mr Suhaimi Rafdi (left), 43, a widower and father of four, managed to accomplish all that in 20 years. For his achievements, he was awarded this year's prestigious Berita Harian Achiever of the Year Award last night, at the Shangri-La Hotel, by Mr Chan Chun Sing, Acting Minister for Community Development, Youth and Sports.

The annual award, now in its 14th year, is organised by Singapore Press Holdings' Malay daily, Berita Harian, and honours Malay/ Muslim individuals for achievements in their chosen fields.

Mr Suhaimi said: "Every morning I wake up, I thank god for giving me another day, to live life to the fullest."

Yes, there is only one Cathay Organisation in S'pore. Datuk Loke Wan Tho, the patriarch of Cathay Organisation did assist him to train & participate in the Rome Olympics.

Tan Howe Liang is related to founder of Tai Wah bak chor mee.

I used to see him preparing bak chor mee in the 70's/80's when Tai Wah stall was located in a coffee shop at Hill St/S'pore River.

M

Mdm Tang

Yes, there is only one Cathay Organisation in S'pore. Datuk Loke Wan Tho, the patriarch of Cathay Organisation did assist him to train & participate in the Rome Olympics.

Tan Howe Liang is related to founder of Tai Wah bak chor mee.

I used to see him preparing bak chor mee in the 70's/80's when Tai Wah stall was located in a coffee shop at Hill St/S'pore River.

Tks for info :

http://www.makansutra.com/foodreviews/listing.php?id=37

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loke_Wan_Tho

http://infopedia.nl.sg/articles/SIP_782_2005-01-19.html

akunei

Alfrescian
Loyal
correct me if i am wrong, Mr Tan Liang Howe was born in Swatow, China.

So according to today's Singapore technical defination on the net, he is consider a FT.

The difference may just be the timing.

He deserved to be rewarded.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He will still be our country Singaporean first olympian. No FT can replace that title. Period.

Last edited:

Samthaikong

Alfrescian
Loyal
TV2008083122151400.jpg

KNN ... $10,000 also not enough for me to buy
vitamins from my competition days.

M

Mdm Tang

TV2008083122151400.jpg

mean while in SGP ; Tan Howe Liang return to his hdb pigeon hole

after work at the gym a relieved man . Silver medal record still intact.

Another $10,000 ntuc voucher on the way ... wahahahaha

M

Mdm Tang

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tan_Howe_Liang

Tan Howe Liang (simplified Chinese: 陈浩亮; traditional Chinese: 陳浩亮; pinyin: Chén Hàoliàng; born 5 May 1933 in Shantou, Guangdong, China) is a weightlifter from Singapore who was the first Singaporean to win an Olympic Games medal. He did this in the 1960 Summer Olympics in Rome where he won the silver medal in the lightweight category. Tan also broke the oldest-standing world record in the lightweight category in the clean and jerk in 1958.

Competitor for Singapore
Weightlifting
Olympic Games
Silver 1960 Rome Lightweight
Commonwealth Games
Gold 1958 Cardiff Lightweight
Gold 1962 Perth Middleweight
Asian Games
Gold 1958 Tokyo Lightweight
Southeast Asian Peninsular Games
Gold 1959 Bangkok Lightweight

M

Mdm Tang

TV2008083122151400.jpg

Please cannot complain ; this round sure No more NTUC Voucher for Tan Howe Liang ...

Also No free airtickets to London . Got to watch the games from downstairs coffee shop ...

M

Mdm Tang

I thought that they're going to pay him $500,000 (current Olympic silver medal going rate in Singapore) plus interests from 1960 to 2008. Sigh... Is that an award or an insult?

Olympic medallist Tan Howe Liang receives S$10,000 cash award
By Margaret Perry & Wong Siew Ying, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 31 August 2008 2030 hrs
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=260 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=right width=20></TD><TD align=right width=240>
phpBz3NpD.jpg
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top height=60></TD><TD class=update vAlign=top height=60><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=138 bgColor=#f6f6f6>Photos </TD><TD width=47 bgColor=#f6f6f6>1 of 1</TD><TD width=18 bgColor=#f6f6f6><INPUT id=btnPrev disabled onclick=Prev(); type=image height=15 width=18 src="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/images/butt_previous.gif" value="<< Previous"></TD><TD width=19 bgColor=#f6f6f6><INPUT id=bntPlay onclick=Play() type=image height=15 width=19 src="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/images/butt_stop.gif" value="Play - Stop"></TD><TD width=18 bgColor=#f6f6f6><INPUT id=btnNext disabled onclick=Next(); type=image height=15 width=18 src="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/images/butt_next.gif" value=" Next >> "></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
dotline_240.gif

Seah Kian Peng
</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD class=update></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

SINGAPORE: Singapore's silver medal win at the Beijing Olympics prompted celebrations across the island. At the same time, the nation's first Olympic medallist has not been forgotten.

Tan Howe Liang shared the stage and the spoils with Singapore's latest Olympic medallists at a celebration on Saturday. Like the three table tennis players – Feng Tianwei, Li Jiawei and Wang Yuegu – Mr Tan received a warm reception from the crowd, as well as a S$10,000 cheque from NTUC FairPrice.

Seah Kian Peng, managing director of NTUC FairPrice, said: "He continues to be a great inspiration to the entire sporting fraternity and to all Singaporeans. People like him are able to inspire people like us to try to do what we believe we can.

"He continues to be highlighted at each Olympics because he is a big inspiration, and he remains an active, humble person that everyone wants to help."

Mr Tan took silver for weightlifting in the 1960 Olympic Games – a first for Singapore. Back then, there were no cash reward schemes for sports excellence.

Since the women's table tennis team took the silver in Beijing and with it, a S$750,000 cash reward, there have been calls for Mr Tan to be rewarded as well for his trail-blazing feat 48 years ago.

Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said: "I am glad they did that, it's a good gesture and we remember him fondly because for 48 years, he was the one man who broke through and it has taken us a long time to equal his record."

As for Singapore's first Olympic hero, he declined to give a TV interview, but said he was grateful for the recognition and the cash gift.

- CNA/so

Originally Posted by Kinana

Spoke to him many times at national stadium gym. He is a happy man.

Mdm Tang :

We Are Happy For Him ...

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
correct me if i am wrong, Mr Tan Liang Howe was born in Swatow, China.

So according to today's Singapore technical defination on the net, he is consider a FT.

The difference may just be the timing.

He deserved to be rewarded.

Which was NOT PRC led that time