• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Taiwan also have lots of PRC tourists!

jw5

Loyal
Actually 大陆 means Mainland, therefore 陆客 is the correct form instead. You lucky I not marking your essay, otherwise I zap you for every spelling mistake you make in Chinese.

Should be "You are lucky I am not marking"........................................ :biggrin:

nato33

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just got back from Taipei as well and share your view about Taiwanese disliking PRC. Two incidents to share :

1. At Raohe Night Market, a PRC shouted his order for a BBQ sotong rudely and the hawker just ignored him. PRC got fed up and left.
2. At Airport, the PRC as usual come in a loud and large group and tried to cut queue, a local told them off to queue but either they act blur or bo chap because of large group. Can hear the local cursing them as ill mannered.

I respect the Taiwanese for standing up to the PRCs. In Singapore, we just give in and pander to their needs, led by the PAP. In many ways, it was refreshing to see a strong Taiwanese identity where the people still had their traditions and all could communicate freely amongst each other and the foreigners were a minority.

Coming back home, its sad to see we have been over run by foreigners and not only do they not adapt to our ways, the mighty PAP ask us to adapt to their ways. WTF :-(

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
@nato33 #24

There were many instances where the "Big Road" mainlanders tried to show their "big brother" arrogant attitude. I think this display of arrogance will soon give way to more acceptance and mutual respect. It's like a bull in a china shop. The "mainlanders" will soon learn to be more accommodative and eventually Taiwan and China will be united as ONE.....

bull+in+a+china+shop.jpg

Taiwan is reaping the benefits of the tourist dollars!!! Plenty of RMBs flowing in and business is booming and flourishing!!!!

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I was at the famous Taiwan pineapple cakes. My small group was completely ignored and bypassed by the Taiwanese sales staff. The PRC tourists were ordering the pineapple cakes by the cartons!!!!! And they were given preferential treatment - nothing personal.Strictly business!!!

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Just got back from Taipei as well and share your view about Taiwanese disliking PRC. Two incidents to share :

1. At Raohe Night Market, a PRC shouted his order for a BBQ sotong rudely and the hawker just ignored him. PRC got fed up and left.
2. At Airport, the PRC as usual come in a loud and large group and tried to cut queue, a local told them off to queue but either they act blur or bo chap because of large group. Can hear the local cursing them as ill mannered.

I respect the Taiwanese for standing up to the PRCs. In Singapore, we just give in and pander to their needs, led by the PAP. In many ways, it was refreshing to see a strong Taiwanese identity where the people still had their traditions and all could communicate freely amongst each other and the foreigners were a minority.

Coming back home, its sad to see we have been over run by foreigners and not only do they not adapt to our ways, the mighty PAP ask us to adapt to their ways. WTF :-(

That is because sinkies are coward losers.that is why they lost their rights and respect from the govt.

Taiwanese got balls and they deserve to have demorarcy in their country and the citizens are enjoying it.

Dreamer1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro nato33
Well said,I agree with you,fucking PAP is absolutley useless,beg everyone but bully its own people.Fucker

khamsulv

Alfrescian
Loyal
isn't taiwan a chinese country?

sgmalays.com - online social network, forum and one-stop portal for all Singaporean Malays. Join us for free today! :smile:

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Actually 大陆 means Mainland, therefore 陆客 is the correct form instead. You lucky I not marking your essay, otherwise I zap you for every spelling mistake you make in Chinese.

Thanks for the correction. Up you 63 points.

Dun zap me lah!

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Taiwanese Hokkien Is Different From Ours

My Hokkien is only so so cos I not a Hokkien. Anyway, in Singapore, we speak Xiamen Hokkien, whereas the Taiwanese speaks 闽南语, so is a bit different.

However you are correct. The folks are friendlier whenever I speak Hokkien.

Taiwanese Hokkien (臺灣福建話 or 臺灣閩南語), commonly known as Taiwanese (Tâi-oân-oē 臺灣話 or Tâi-gí 臺語), is the Hokkien dialect of Min Nan as spoken by about 70% of the population of Taiwan.[3] The largest linguistic group in Taiwan, in which Hokkien is considered a native language, is known as Hoklo or Holo (Hō-ló). The correlation between language and ethnicity is generally true, though not absolute, as some Hoklo speak Hokkien poorly while some non-Hoklo speak Hokkien fluently. Pe̍h-ōe-jī (POJ) is a popular orthography for this variant of Hokkien.

Taiwanese Hokkien is generally similar to Amoy. Minor differences only occur in terms of vocabulary. Like Amoy, Taiwanese Hokkien is based on a mixture of Zhangzhou and Quanzhou speech. Due to the mass popularity of Hokkien entertainment media from Taiwan, Taiwanese Hokkien has grown to become the more influential Hokkien dialect of Min Nan, especially since the 1980s. Along with Amoy, the Taiwanese prestige dialect (based on the Tâi-lâm variant) is regarded as ‘standard Hokkien.’

I heard someone said it is a Zhangzhou language. FYI, Amoy is Xiamen. And stop saying "boh lwee", use "boh jhee" instead.

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Re: Taiwanese Hokkien Is Different From Ours

I heard someone said it is a Zhangzhou language. FYI, Amoy is Xiamen. And stop saying "boh lwee", use "boh jhee" instead.

"Lwee" is from the Malay word "Duiat" (money).

Last edited:

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
And The French Hate Them ?

the mighty PAP ask us to adapt to their ways. WTF :-(

PAP is a pimp. But when the PRCs touch the tortoises' thighs but they wanna charge them wor. SMRT should let them have their way mah. :biggrin:

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Quite annoying that this thread is yet again turning to a bash PAP thread.

Can we discuss about Taiwan folks?

Thank you.

Last edited:

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Duit

"Lwee" is from the Malay word "Duiat" (money).

I heard of a joke something like "do it, do it, do it." :biggrin:

I think the original word is actually "Duit". And it's Dutch.

The duit was a copper Dutch coin worth 2 penning, with 8 duit pieces equal to one stuiver and 160 duit pieces equal to one gulden. In Dutch Indonesia 4 duit pieces were equal to one stuiver. To prevent smuggling, the Dutch East India company ordered special coins with the VOC monogram on it. Only those pieces were valid in Indonesia. It was once used in the Americas while under Dutch rule.

The name of the coin was preserved for a long time in the 'fourduitcoin' (or plak), because it was worth 4 duiten = half a stuiver (or 2,5 cent).

Dutch New Amsterdam (later New York) and for years later, long after Dutch rule had passed. It was part of the coinage used to purchase the island of Manhattan from the locals.

Duit is also the Malay and the informal Indonesian equivalent of the English term "money". This happened because of centuries of Dutch rule in Indonesia.

Saya mengambil duit dari dompet - I put out (some) money from (a/the) wallet

In the past, New York was actually New Amsterdam. I think the Brits conquered the city from the Dutch. :eek:

nickname

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Duit

I heard of a joke something like "do it, do it, do it." :biggrin:

I think the original word is actually "Duit". And it's Dutch.

The duit was a copper Dutch coin worth 2 penning, with 8 duit pieces equal to one stuiver and 160 duit pieces equal to one gulden. In Dutch Indonesia 4 duit pieces were equal to one stuiver. To prevent smuggling, the Dutch East India company ordered special coins with the VOC monogram on it. Only those pieces were valid in Indonesia. It was once used in the Americas while under Dutch rule.

The name of the coin was preserved for a long time in the 'fourduitcoin' (or plak), because it was worth 4 duiten = half a stuiver (or 2,5 cent).

Dutch New Amsterdam (later New York) and for years later, long after Dutch rule had passed. It was part of the coinage used to purchase the island of Manhattan from the locals.

Duit is also the Malay and the informal Indonesian equivalent of the English term "money". This happened because of centuries of Dutch rule in Indonesia.

Saya mengambil duit dari dompet - I put out (some) money from (a/the) wallet

In the past, New York was actually New Amsterdam. I think the Brits conquered the city from the Dutch. :eek:

Yes, duit is Dutch. The Malays and Indonesians don't even have coins nor do they have any kind of currency before the Dutch East India arrived to this part of the old world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duit