• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Super Incompetancy of South Korea's Police

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
By Jaeyeon Woo

South Korean National Police Agency Chief Cho Hyun-oh resigned Monday amid a growing fury over the slow response of police in suburban Seoul to a woman’s distress call. There is now a debate about whether the apparent ineptitude contributed to the woman’s death at the hands of a murderer.

Agence France-Presse/Getty Images
Cho Hyun-oh offers to resign on Monday.
“I offer a sincere apology and feel deeply regrettable that police’s carelessness brought about this horrendous result and that we played down and lied about the case,” Mr. Cho said.

On Sunday, April 1, a 27-year-old woman was walking home after a weekend shift at a small electronics manufacturer in Suwon when she was kidnapped by a 41-year-old man.

When the suspect went to bathroom, she locked the door up and called 112 – the emergency response number that is South Korea’s equivalent of 911 – and said she had been abducted and was being raped.

During the 80-second conversation that followed, the operator wasted precious time by repeating questions and turning to other operators as if the caller was in a domestic fight. The woman described her location as a house between a public playground and a school in a Suwon neighborhood, but the dispatcher asked for more precise address. (Unlike in the U.S. and other countries, the address of a phone call does not automatically appear on the computer of a police dispatcher.)

The conversation abruptly ended when the suspect broke into the door, but the phone line remained open for six more minutes. During that time, the woman could be heard crying in panic and begging for mercy. As well, the sound of tape being torn was heard.

The dispatcher sent police but the exact details of their response haven’t been disclosed. Police did not get to the home until the next morning, 13 hours after the call, when they found the suspect dismembering the body of the woman. The man, Wu Yuan-chun, was then arrested.

In the initial media coverage of the crime, police said the woman was only on the phone for 15 seconds.

The victim’s sister later said that, while she accompanied police in the search, they just carelessly patrolled around the area and some even drowsed.

As truth about the crime and police response became known late last week, public trust in the police plunged. Mr. Cho’s resignation doesn’t seem enough to soothe the anger.

Mr. Cho said he was aware the apparent attempt to mislead people about the mistakes worsened the situation.

“There were serious problems of the 112 operator’s incompetence, leading to misjudgment of the seriousness of the case, inept response, careless search, playing down the case and false explanation,” he said.

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hmm... isn't this the modus operandi of SPF? Can we beat South KOrea in terms of inefficiency? We know for a fact most 999 calls do not get response for an hour.

Varuna

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hmm... isn't this the modus operandi of SPF? Can we beat South KOrea in terms of inefficiency? We know for a fact most 999 calls do not get response for an hour.

You are lucky they did not put 999 call to answering machine like, "Please press '1' for english. Press '2' for Chinese, Press '3' for Bangladesh...etc..." :biggrin:

Capano2121

Alfrescian
Loyal
Korea also kena ah tiong problem! Wu is hanyu pinyin, if Korean surname, that would have been OH or HOH!

SinghSons

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
SK are only good in their kimchi, what boy band, girl band, Korean drama are just another copycat from Japan. Navy ship kena whacked also LL.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hello you have reached the police hotline.

Please note that we are not legally required to pick up your call.

If you are being robbed, that is your problem, why did you bring valuables with you on the street?

If you are being raped, you asked for it, why did you wear such enticing clothes?

If you are being murdered, you asked for it, why did you provoke the guy?

Screw you peasant, we are police, we are gods, you are nothing.

Beep........

If I'm the Commissioner of Police, I'd set up a system, outsourced to some Indian system designers and call operators of course.

- Hello, you've reached to police hotline
- For murder, press 1
- For rape, press 2
- For kidnap, press 3
- For robbery, press 4
- For rioting, press 5
- For loansharking, press 6
- For theft, press 7
- For public disorder, press 8
- For littering, press 9

If you've called us often enough that you've memorised the numbers, you may skip the message and press the number you want.

- For unlawful assembly, press 0 and your case will be attended to immediately.

Caller : :confused::*: (pressed 4 since he just got robbed.)

Operator : Dey, where you got robbed? Sure no problem. We attend to case anywhere very fast. How many robbers? You need one or two patrol cars?

Caller : Toa Payoh Garden carpark, I think you send two patrol cars best.

Operator : Huh, dey Serangoon in Singapore dah dey! This is Mumbai, India Police Force dah dey! (Slam pone and slap forehead.)

Caller : :confused: :*: Shit! That's the police number on the M1 free call package.

M1 Operator : (calling police ops room) Shit! There's a robbery call in Serangoon mistakenly routed to India.

PC Ram : (just past out from PA, police ops room apprentice...) Then ask them to come over and attend case. I thought they got an aircraft carrier.

Last edited:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If I'm the Commissioner of Police, I'd set up a system, outsourced to some Indian system designers and call operators of course.

- Hello, you've reached to police hotline
- For murder, press 1
- For rape, press 2
- For kidnap, press 3
- For robbery, press 4
- For rioting, press 5
- For loansharking, press 6
- For theft, press 7
- For public disorder, press 8
- For littering, press 9

If you've called us often enough that you've memorised the numbers, you may skip the message and press the number you want.

- For unlawful assembly, press 0 and your case will be attended to immediately.

Caller : :confused::*: (pressed 4 since he just got robbed.)

Operator : Dey, where you got robbed? Sure no problem. We attend to case anywhere very fast. How many robbers? You need one or two patrol cars?

Caller : Toa Payoh Garden carpark, I think you send two patrol cars best.

HAHAHAHHAHAA this joke was so unfunny i had to force myself to laugh hysterically hAhahahhahahahaha