• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Stunning relevation about $500,000 GIC housing loan in Ong Seh Hong's testimony

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
No.......:wink:
Ok I have a question for you.

If:

1. Ren Ci fully disclosed everything that transpired
2. The decisions leading up to the loans were reached by consensus
3. Dr Ong disclosed every aspect of his arrangements with Ren Ci
4. The donors had every opportunity to be kept informed about how their $ was dispensed

Would you still have a problem with their management?

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well if it is totally transparent and accountable...and donors are given the opportunity to decide via their purse/wallet...then so be it...the intractable problem on this issue appears to be the balance between trying to attract quality professionals to work in charitable orgs and the pay factor...btw I am not necessarily saying that Ong himself falls into the quality professional category, in this regard I do not know.
Donors' money should not be made as a piggy bank for the employees to get interest free or even cheap loans. It is a question of morality, not legality.

Goh Meng Seng

jw5

Loyal
Well if it is totally transparent and accountable...and donors are given the opportunity to decide via their purse/wallet...then so be it...the intractable problem on this issue appears to be the balance between trying to attract quality professionals to work in charitable orgs and the pay factor...btw I am not necessarily saying that Ong himself falls into the quality professional category, in this regard I do not know.
MPs should have a moral duty to the public right, just like food preparers?

londontrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
MPs should have a moral duty to the public right, just like food preparers?

Well maybe we have a mediocre bunch in Parliament
If you follow PAP style reasoning, we should increase the MP allowance
Pay more $ = attract better quality MPs
Must be the right way since LKY said so!

londontrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
No.......:wink:

Thanks for expressing an opinion on this issue

"the intractable problem on this issue appears to be the balance between trying to attract quality professionals to work in charitable orgs and the pay factor"

Anyone managed to strike the right balance yet?
So far it's not been encouraging with the NKF and Ren Ci.

londontrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
"if this gov can't do so and the less fortunate die off, then it becomes a PR nightmare for them."

That's a motivation behind all the forced saving (CPF) and social engineering (family oriented policies). It minimizes the number of poor desperate souls (in future) that creates a PR disaster. Works fine when there are quality jobs with decent pay. Falls apart when one screws up the economy and imports too much Foreign Talent.

A school mate of mine decided to be a social worker, ignoring the $$$$ being thrown her way in the corporate world. She lasted exactly 5 years in Singapore before joining a large charitable organization overseas. She started bright eyed and bushy tailed and left rather disillusioned. Most of her work hours in Singapore were spent explaining why her clients (that's what they call them) were undeserving of help because their circumstances weren't desperate enough yet ie. come back when you (and family) are sleeping on the streets and then we can start to think about helping you!

I guess we get the government that we deserve (66.6% share of the votes yes?)

"i respect your opinion that charities are entitled to pay commercial level wages, i just hope your wallet remains open to them because mine has been firmly shut. so you got to pick up the slack from pple like me."

I've been rather fortunate in life and will do my part. Unfortunately, the picture isn't very encouraging with the NKF and now Ren Ci. People need to learn that when an organization isn't transparent, there is usually something to hide.

"i rather give to the tissue paper uncles, ice cream vendors and buskers on the streets. at least i know every $ goes direct to the recipient instead of having 50% diverted to admin and wage costs."

I lived in London for a long time and have encountered far too many scam jobs on the street. It's coloured my view about this kind of direct assistance.

nkfnkfnkf

Alfrescian
Loyal
“however to leave gic, i had to pay s$560,000 to settle my outstanding staff housing loan. I agreed to join ren ci on condition that i received a loan of s$60,000, to pay off in part the amount of s$560,000 and i paid the remaining s$500,000 from bank loan.

s$560,000 it's peanuts! Ok?