• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Stop allowing NS exemptions for the rich....

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
But now, why should our sons serve NS? What are they protecting? Is this even our home? Our country? Please tell me, what is worth protecting in Singapore?

In the early days, the Singapore currency was $8 to the Pound and $4 to the USD. Landed property was cheap and plentiful. A Terrace house could be bought for $20,000. An HDB 3 room flat was $6000.

If Singapore had been invaded in 1970, I could have run for my life and left behind less than SGD 30,000 of assets. My cash would have become worthless after the invasion but it wasn't worth much to begin with so no major loss.

In 2013, if Singapore was invaded, the majority of Singaporeans would see more than $1 million to $2 million of assets go down the drain. They'd go from being millionaires to paupers in no time at all.

The defense of Singapore Inc is far more important today than it was in the early days.

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
lianbeng replies topsage: $75,000! that's the price tag lah! :biggrin: just throw those dollar notes at Mindef recruitment officer's face n walk off lah!

This price tag is actually fair. paying $75k is definitely worth 2.5 yrs considering one can easily make $30k outside per year without having to kena scold mother and grandmother by the officer :p

TopSage

Alfrescian
Loyal
This price tag is actually fair. paying $75k is definitely worth 2.5 yrs considering one can easily make $30k outside per year without having to kena scold mother and grandmother by the officer :p

To be fair this amount should be household income and wealth adjusted. By fixing it so that the rich can easily afford it and the poor can never afford it, gives a backdoor for the rich to get out without serving the NS. This is UNFAIR.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
To be fair this amount should be household income and wealth adjusted. By fixing it so that the rich can easily afford it and the poor can never afford it, gives a backdoor for the rich to get out without serving the NS. This is UNFAIR.

One of the first lessons in life you need to learn in order to get ahead is to realise that life will never be fair.

kiwibird7

Alfrescian
Loyal
In 2013, if Singapore was invaded, the majority of Singaporeans would see more than $1 million to $2 million of assets go down the drain. They'd go from being millionaires to paupers in no time at all.

The defense of Singapore Inc is far more important today than it was in the early days.

1. Majority of Singaporeans live in 99 yr leasehold pigeonholes with NO STRATA TITLES stuck with long term HEFTY MORTGAGES, what million $$ assets would they be losing?

2. 18 yr old NS conscripts don't even own any assets, heck they may not even be able to afford sky high prices of HDB flats or even dream of owning a car or getting a place in Uni or even secure a job in Singapore. They would only waste 2 precious years of their youth away, hopefully not getting maimed or killed needlessly.

3. The military invasion of Singapore BOGEYMAN con game is wearing a little bit thin nowadays. The invasion by FT hordes has already taken place without a single 5.56mm ball round fired at all.

Annunaki

Alfrescian
Loyal
Whitehorse platoon already special privilege still want to Siam NS? Then peasants like me how? AWOL or commit suicide?

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
1. Majority of Singaporeans live in 99 yr leasehold pigeonholes with NO STRATA TITLES stuck with long term HEFTY MORTGAGES, what million $$ assets would they be losing?

2. 18 yr old NS conscripts don't even own any assets, heck they may not even be able to afford sky high prices of HDB flats or even dream of owning a car or getting a place in Uni or even secure a job in Singapore. They would only waste 2 precious years of their youth away, hopefully not getting maimed or killed needlessly.

3. The military invasion of Singapore BOGEYMAN con game is wearing a little bit thin nowadays. The invasion by FT hordes has already taken place without a single 5.56mm ball round fired at all.

18 year olds may not have much to their names but once they reach their mid 40s which is the ideal emigration age, their wealth can be substantial.

When I moved to Perth in the mid 90s, My assets in Singapore had grown from ZERO when I was 18 to more than SGD3 million thanks to the PAP and the stability and security that they had achieved for the country.

After paying off my mortgages, I still had more than SGD2.6 million to remit to OZ. I bought a house for AUD400,000 and put the rest in the bank.

Had Singapore been invaded before I could cash out, all my Singapore assets would have become worthless. Even the mere threat of a possible invasion would have had a disastrous effect on property and stock values.

contangee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sure it is possible.

There will be a time lag until crime is considered, and until there is a record. Till then, apply citizenship. Even first world countries will accept your citizenship application if you have money. You may have to legally change your name from Lim Ah Kow to Kevin Lin but no big deal, a good lawyer can set up everything.

..Is this possible...?

Thought if they do not return, they will be charged..

And if u apply for new citizenship: and you have criminal record...you cannot get the citizenship...

Unless you go to some shady country where you can use money and influence to do what you want...

Hey!!! the last sentence sounds familiar..

TopSage

Alfrescian
Loyal
$75K is one thing but he can never come back to Singapore..

The $75K is chum change for the rich. Some of these households make this amount in one month or less.

As for coming back, usually they are let go with a $5K fine for defaulting:

http://news.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne+News/Singapore/Story/A1Story20100722-228252.html

Last year 259 defaulters:
http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest+News/Singapore/Story/A1Story20121015-377783.html

After people raise concerns, the Ministry raise the fine from $5K to $10K
CNA: Government to impose stiffer penalties for NS defaulters Christine Jan 16th, 06, 07:20 PM #1

The Government is introducing stiffer penalties for National Service defaulters.

Defence Minister Teo Chee Hean told parliament on Monday that the fine would be doubled to S$10,000
http://forums.vr-zone.com/chit-chat...t-impose-stiffer-penalties-ns-defaulters.html

larue

Alfrescian
Loyal
If everyone can be rich, then there won't be any poor people. It is just like asking everyone to be CEOs, when it is never a possibility.

Where did he say everyone can be rich?

Go ahead and stay down if you wish, misery loves company.

kiwibird7

Alfrescian
Loyal
When I moved to Perth in the mid 90s, My assets in Singapore had grown from ZERO when I was 18 to more than SGD3 million thanks to the PAP and the stability and security that they had achieved for the country.

After paying off my mortgages, I still had more than SGD2.6 million to remit to OZ. I bought a house for AUD400,000 and put the rest in the bank.

Had Singapore been invaded before I could cash out, all my Singapore assets would have become worthless. Even the mere threat of a possible invasion would have had a disastrous effect on property and stock values.

1. There was never any threat of invasion and it was NOT due to the presence of NS conscripts. Only the bogeymen threat of invaders by the PAP that conned the DAFTs into supporting NS & keeping the PAP regime for 50 years.

If invading another country were so simple, the 1st country to be invaded won't be Singapore but the tiny sultanate of Oil rich Brunei with a mere 300,000 population with NO significant standing army. Both Malaysia or Indonesia could just cross the border anytime without any naval or air support.

2. HDB property or even Condos NEVER attained the levels of millions$$$ in the 90s, Resale Executive HDB flats only fetched around $400,000 levels. Terrace houses were just touching $1million.

3. Not many Singaporeans at age 40 in the 1990s who owned a HDB flat would have amassed S$3 million to emigrate.

The MAIN POINT is why should MAJORITY of Singaporeans who are struggling to make ends meet and not amass $3 million by age 40 be part of a slave labour NS conscription concept risking life and limb for an imaginary threat of invasion and protecting the assets of the wealthy few?

Last edited:

jw5

Loyal
Have they invented the term yet, for doing exactly what you would be doing during NS, if you did not have to serve NS?

SadPlumpGirl

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
All citizens and PRs must served NS. All sexes must serve too. That is the best. Fair and equal for all.