• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Stop allowing NS exemptions for the rich....

TopSage

Alfrescian
Loyal
After my A levels , I served my NS. Same batch as me
were 2 friends of mine with rich parents.
After A levels , their parents applied for exemption
by paying $75K to MINDEF....if they don't come back
to serve the money is forfeited.

My friend's mom even told him, if he doesn't
want to come home from australia no problem
just stay there forfeit the $75K no problem.

What is $75K for the rich? Just pocket change, not even enough
to buy piece of paper called COE.

Basically such exemptions is a backdoor for
the richer Singaporeans to escape NS.
Such laws discriminate against the poor even if you have
to work to support your family, they won't allow ypu to postpone
your NS.

Why can't they serve NS first before going overseas for studies like all other Singaporeans? These exemptions discriminate against pooer people and should never be allowed

kiwibird7

Alfrescian
Loyal
Only the daft Singaporeans and opposition parties continue to support the concept of NS conscription, conned wholesale by the PAP. Even the newbies PRs from PRC etc know how make their sons skip NS, so too do he rich and well connected. What about Tony Tan's elite son's special NS vocation in a lab that no one else gets posted to?

What is the point of harping on tightening the loopholes on exemptions? New ones would be found very quickly by the astute. Only the losers end up moaning if not dying needlessly or getting maimed in NS.

Do away with NS once and for all, ABOLISH NS. Have a professional army complemented by FT mercenary soldiers.

Last edited:

contangee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Once they get their degree and new citizenship overseas, they can come back easily as a FT. Double win !

MountainChicken

Alfrescian
Loyal
What to do. In this current situation, you can do 'wonders' if you are damn rich. But you will kana all the 'shit' if you are not. :mad:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Why can't they serve NS first before going overseas for studies like all other Singaporeans? These exemptions discriminate against pooer people and should never be allowed

Instead of complaining about the rich being treated better, why don't you set your sights on getting rich yourself so you can purchase the same privileges for your children when their turn comes around. $75,000 isn't a lot of money these days. It doesn't take too much effort to accumulate that amount.

It is far better to aim for pragmatic solutions to an issue rather than adopt an attitude of airy fairy idealism. The world has never been fair and never will be so you might as well work within the boundaries created by the failings of human nature.

lianbeng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

lianbeng replies topsage: $75,000! that's the price tag lah! :biggrin: just throw those dollar notes at Mindef recruitment officer's face n walk off lah!

bryanlim1972

Alfrescian
Loyal
Instead of complaining about the rich being treated better, why don't you set your sights on getting rich yourself so you can purchase the same privileges for your children when their turn comes around. $75,000 isn't a lot of money these days. It doesn't take too much effort to accumulate that amount.

i would encourage TS to stop complaining about the better treatment of the rich and vote for a government who will pledge better treatment for the poor.

blissquek

Alfrescian
Loyal
Once they get their degree and new citizenship overseas, they can come back easily as a FT. Double win !

..Is this possible...?

Thought if they do not return, they will be charged..

And if u apply for new citizenship: and you have criminal record...you cannot get the citizenship...

Unless you go to some shady country where you can use money and influence to do what you want...

Hey!!! the last sentence sounds familiar..

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
How about doing research that benefit "mankind" & get exemption till you are over the hill??

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

your NS.

the moral of the story is to be rich...can't you tell?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
i would encourage TS to stop complaining about the better treatment of the rich and vote for a government who will pledge better treatment for the poor.

All governments started off as opposition parties pledging better treatment for the poor simply because its a vote winner.

However, once they gain power, none of them honor their pledges because they know that the rich are far more important than the poor.

Troll

Alfrescian
Loyal

your NS.

During our time, it was fine and good to serve NS.

But now, why should our sons serve NS? What are they protecting? Is this even our home? Our country? Please tell me, what is worth protecting in Singapore?

NS is nothing more than an institution which forces unfortunately citizens who were born here, to provide cheap labour in order to protect the economic interest of the elites and foreigners. If not, at least provide the human bullet shields to buy time for elites and foreigners to get out of here.

Troll

Alfrescian
Loyal

It is far better to aim for pragmatic solutions to an issue rather than adopt an attitude of airy fairy idealism. The world has never been fair and never will be so you might as well work within the boundaries created by the failings of human nature.

Agree with you on that one. $75K is nothing, for me it's all about the right timing and where to go.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

If everyone can be rich, then there won't be any poor people. It is just like asking everyone to be CEOs, when it is never a possibility.