• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Sri Lankan construction workers taking time to adjust in Singapore

hokkien

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
ST_20131231_ATLANKA31_3980094e.jpg

Four months after arriving here with a glowing reputation, Sri Lankan construction workers are struggling to maintain their brand name.

Despite their supposed experience in the sector and their relatively good command of English, the new hires are disappointing their bosses.

Employers complained their work is not up to the mark and they struggle to adapt to Singapore's fast pace.

"We set a deadline of a day for three workers to hack a 1.2m- by-3m wall in a hawker centre. But the Sri Lankan workers were not able to finish in time," said Yang Seng Engineering operations manager Chang Chee Kit.

Background story
SRI LANKAN WORKERS

Why we want them

They're seen as a good substitute for Chinese and Indian workers who are returning to their countries due to economic booms there, also valued for their good command of English and good work ethic.

What's wrong

•Some unable to keep up with Singapore's fast work pace and high standards
•Bosses say they are set in their ways and unreceptive to feedback
•Culture shock

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TRYING TO DO BETTER

I tell myself I have to improve. I am here to work and earn money for my family.

- Sri Lankan worker Chaminda Senarath Wijerathna

hokkien

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"We set a deadline of a day for three workers to hack a 1.2m- by-3m wall in a hawker centre. But the Sri Lankan workers were not able to finish in time," said Yang Seng Engineering operations manager Chang Chee Kit.

Becoz they talks a lot..........:biggrin:

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bloody hell need time to adjust? Have u seen any of them construction workers work? 5 people stand around 1 fella digging a hole. Saw on Monday!

sickpuppy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ha Ha hire an ah neh to do heavy work? Asking for trouble go take cock hit head. When do these type of hard work must hire the work horses of asia china man or thais

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Ha Ha hire an ah neh to do heavy work? Asking for trouble go take cock hit head. When do these type of hard work must hire the work horses of asia china man or thais

hi there

1. we will never know if some tamil tigers slip through the finger too.