• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

SR Nathan - from prataman to professor?

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
S R Nathan to spend time in academia after retirement
By S Ramesh | Posted: 31 August 2011 1026 hrs
phpNaM9Lq.jpg

SINGAPORE: Singapore's President, S R Nathan who hands over his post to Dr Tony Tan Thursday, said he plans to spend more time in academia after his retirement.

Besides joining the Institute of Southeast Asian Studies (ISEAS), Mr Nathan told Channel NewsAsia Wednesday that he will also be spending time at the Nanyang Technological University's S Rajaratnam School of International Studies (RSIS).

He added that he has also been invited by the Singapore Management University to chair its Social Service Advisory Body.

"Nothing is substantive in what I am going to do, I don't want any responsibility. I want to be free to do what I want," said Mr Nathan.

Turning to his memoirs, Mr Nathan said it is now with the publishers and will be out on September 19.

He's confident people would be interested to read it as it's about his childhood, the war years and his career.

Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong will officiate at the launch, he added.

When asked about his message to Singaporeans in his memoirs, Mr Nathan said: "The only message I can think of is to stand on your own feet as I have done in my career. I hope other young people will get that message that whatever the odds, you can overcome. But in some way, providence also plays a part."

On calls by several quarters in Singapore to have a more open presidency, Mr Nathan emphasised that the country cannot have a "Presidency on the streets".

He said the President's duties in Singapore are defined by the Constitution and the people would not want the office to be so transparent to a point where the value and prestige of the position is lost.

Mr Nathan spent his last day in office with his routine morning walk along the East Coast Parkway, meeting Singaporeans who wished him well on his retirement.

He will be having a few more engagements at the Istana Wednesday before attending a farewell reception for him by the Prime Minister and Cabinet Wednesday evening.

Mr Nathan will review a Guard of Honour at the Istana Thursday night before bidding farewell to the nation as the country's 6th President.

- CNA/cc

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
hi there

1. wow! fat, sick and obslete!
2. and yet, still paid for doing nothing.
3. why not set up a school of prata-making.
4. the first again in the world leh!

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Nothing is substantive in what I am going to do, I don't want any responsibility. I want to be free to do what I want," said Mr Nathan.

oxymoron

jw5

Loyal

oxymoron

Was he describing his previous role or his future role?

:rolleyes:

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm surprised that the Singapore Culinary Institute did not offer him any post...

saratogas

Alfrescian
Loyal
He is still on pension rite?! Shouldn't he take on some task or responsiblity?!
Advisor to the new president... Teach the new president how to unlock the door to our reserves.

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

nathan is one friendly and harmless looking thambi that you feel like slapping him on the back and say "Dei !! How's life dah?" but now you can do that with ease. :eek:

Last edited:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He is still on pension rite?! Shouldn't he take on some task or responsiblity?!
Advisor to the new president... Teach the new president how to unlock the door to our reserves.

wah nuts man after all the prime minister's office already has 2 additional posts but those 2 dead woods just retired recently and now the presidentship is going to have a mentor president? Prata teach ah tony how to chor bo lan.