• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Southern Thai Muslim Insurgency

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have read many of the comments in the thread about the explosion at the popular Hatyai Hotel.

Just wanted to share some comments about this insurgency. Firstly it is not connected to any other muslim fundamental issues such Palestine, Osama or the middle east. This is highly localised and has been going on for decades with intermittent breaks.

Till today it is considered by the Intelligence agencies around the world as the most mysterious. Nobody has identified the actual organisation or the ringleaders behind it though a number of Muslim and political southern separatist parties have been pretenders. It has baffled researchers, academic and any other chaps that have done work on it. I recall a young Singapore lady doing post grad work that visited the region and covered it but with limited results.

The nature of killings, the manner it has been carried out is also unique and unseen. There has also been incidents where army explosives have been used but the detonators have gone missing and believed to have removed by forensic teams indicating that authorities are involved to lay blame on the muslims etc.

What is known is the first uprising was motivated by muslim villages during the the 1950 to get rid of chinese renegade soldiers from the Nationalist army that fled south after being routed by the Communist in China. Some of these soldiers formed bandit brigands and having been raiding the muslim villagers who did not get protection from the Thai Police or Army who were not muslims. The muslims formed the pondok system to handle further threats.

The Thai Army have retaliated and have made things even worse. There have been massacres.

Last edited:

Kinana

Alfrescian
Loyal
So it is a Muslim insurgency then. Just as there are Muslim insurgencies with terrorism in Philippines, India, China, Russia, Nigeria etc.

Varuna

Alfrescian
Loyal
There has also been incidents where army explosives have been used but the detonators have gone missing and believed to have removed by forensic teams indicating that authorities are involved to lay blame on the muslims etc..

I remember there was raid by insurgents on army ammunition depot before which resulted in loss of arms and ammunitions. This could be the source where insurgents got their ammo for their attacks. The govt army could have been overly harsh in their suppression in the earlier riots which brought about today's bad-blood, deep-seated hatred and thirst for vengeance against govt forces.

Last edited:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you understand the lyrics of Thai national anthem, it's not an aspiration. Worse comes to worst, the army would just go in and shoot them all, for every inch of the land that's called Thailand.

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have read many of the comments in the thread about the explosion at the popular Hatyai Hotel.

Just wanted to share some comments about this insurgency. Firstly it is not connected to any other muslim fundamental issues such Palestine, Osama or the middle east. This is highly localised and has been going on for decades with intermittent breaks.

Till today it is considered by the Intelligence agencies around the world as the most mysterious. Nobody has identified the actual organisation or the ringleaders behind it though a number of Muslim and political southern separatist parties have been pretenders. It has baffled researchers, academic and any other chaps that have done work on it. I recall a young Singapore lady doing post grad work that visited the region and covered it but with limited results.

The nature of killings, the manner it has been carried out is also unique and unseen. There has also been incidents where army explosives have been used but the detonators have gone missing and believed to have removed by forensic teams indicating that authorities are involved to lay blame on the muslims etc.

What is known is the first uprising was motivated by muslim villages during the the 1950 to get rid of chinese renegade soldiers from the Nationalist army that fled south after being routed by the Communist in China. Some of these soldiers formed bandit brigands and having been raiding the muslim villagers who did not get protection from the Thai Police or Army who were not muslims. The muslims formed the pondok system to handle further threats.

The Thai Army have retaliated and have made things even worse. There have been massacres.

Never heard of that but many KMT renegade soldiers were recruited by the Thai gov to fight the communist insurgents in the North. as a reward they were granted Thai citizenship.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santikhiri

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Never heard of that but many KMT renegade soldiers were recruited by the Thai gov to fight the communist insurgents in the North. as a reward they were granted Thai citizenship.

Hmmm... It's the opposite of what I've read. When the CMP moved base up to Yala, they helped locals eliminate the former KMT troops turned armed bandits. The Thai army left the Commies alone in exchange for their services.

Adding on:
The region you highlighted is in the north. This area we're talking about is in the south.

Last edited:

fivestars

Alfrescian
Loyal
Buddhist believe karma. AC 1000 Islam had come to West Buddhist Land from Afghanistan with Osaman-ian Army during the transaction of Buddhism move to East Buddhist Land. Kill and Kill from the North West to the South West until Philippine, Indonesia, Malaysia, South Thailand, South Cambodia and South Vietnam. Because of good mankind on Buddhism. The Muslim can live along with the Buddhist. When mankind become evil, war can start by the help of Roman Catholic, Christian, Muslim, Military Religion and Communist Religion that we can saw from before World War One to after World War Two.

Last edited:

Kinana

Alfrescian
Loyal
Buddhism disappeared from Afghanistan, Pakistan and India. True Buddhism will rather be killed than fight back.

Kohliantye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santikhiri

The sad plight suffered by the Chinese at the hands of the Japanese Imperial Army following the latter's occupation of Malaya and Singapore is indeed a sad episode.
The same apply to the innocent Chinese who were mercilessly butchered in China.
But the killers of these Chinese were mostly Koreans and Formosans (Taiwanese) who were serving the then Imperial Japanese Army.
The Japanese themselves may also be the perpetrators of such dastardly acts but by and large the most vicious were the Koreans and Formosans.
I stand before you as one who felt that such a thing should be mentioned.
Please correct me.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its an unusual separatist movement in the sense that the only differentiating factor is that they are a different religion than the majority.; It is not the fanatical religious crackpots and koran thumping nutcases.

So it is a Muslim insurgency then. Just as there are Muslim insurgencies with terrorism in Philippines, India, China, Russia, Nigeria etc.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you have the time, read whatever materials that you find in the library or online. The raid on the army base was in later years. This has been going on for 50 years.

I remember there was raid by insurgents on army ammunition depot before which resulted in loss of arms and ammunitions. This could be the source where insurgents got their ammo for their attacks. The govt army could have been overly harsh in their suppression in the earlier riots which brought about today's bad-blood, deep-seated hatred and thirst for vengeance against govt forces.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are spot on. I should have said North Malaysia. CPM actually routed the bandits who were actually present even in Johor. Many of these Nationalist went to Burma in which they ran the drug trade. CPM managed to push them up North of Malaysia and into Southern Thailand. CPM and the Muslim Separatist had no issues between them.

Hmmm... It's the opposite of what I've read. When the CMP moved base up to Yala, they helped locals eliminate the former KMT troops turned armed bandits. The Thai army left the Commies alone in exchange for their services.

Adding on:
The region you highlighted is in the north. This area we're talking about is in the south.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
One particular trait that could not be worked out is when they kill, the head is found in a different location from the body and significance of the locations and why this is done could not be explained even by the villagers.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You are spot on. I should have said North Malaysia. CPM actually routed the bandits who were actually present even in Johor. Many of these Nationalist went to Burma in which they ran the drug trade. CPM managed to push them up North of Malaysia and into Southern Thailand. CPM and the Muslim Separatist had no issues between them.

I should visit my favourite nationalist hero, Mr Chin, before he up lorry. I want him to autograph my books about him.

Last edited:

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Scroo,

One has in Southern Thailand the ingredients for a Mindaono or Moro style islamic insurgency. Regligious divide, weak or ineffective central government, terrain conducive for insurgency, easy access to cheap and surplus arms, etc etc. But yet what we have at most is small gangs of urban terrorist operating from towns and villages.

Perhaps its due to a heavy concentrated RTAF presence and perhaps. just perhaps its a racket. The freedom fighters there collect money from the muslim population to protect the race and religion, the army justifies its salaries from the existence of the insurgency and they both occasionally scratch each others back.

Locke

Varuna

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you have the time, read whatever materials that you find in the library or online. The raid on the army base was in later years. This has been going on for 50 years.

What? 50 years? Thanks for the good adviCe, but spare me the agony!!! With age catching up and eyesight failing, I can barely sustain my reading attention for more than a page nowadays. Furthermore I am not the academic sort and I can get lost from reading long history. I think I'd choose the lazy way of piecing together snippets of info contributed by the kind bros here to get the big picture. Keep the flow going..... :biggrin:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
This one very unusual. Nothing like the Muslim Philippine movement which has elements of banditry. When I first heard about, I too thought it was the usual separatist movement or minorities rebelling against the majority to get a share of the pie. Even Thakshin when he was PM attempted to resolve and appointed an Muslim Army. chief for the region. It not only did not resolve the matter, the army chief led the coup de tat years down the road.

Dear Scroo,

One has in Southern Thailand the ingredients for a Mindaono or Moro style islamic insurgency. Regligious divide, weak or ineffective central government, terrain conducive for insurgency, easy access to cheap and surplus arms, etc etc. But yet what we have at most is small gangs of urban terrorist operating from towns and villages.

Perhaps its due to a heavy concentrated RTAF presence and perhaps. just perhaps its a racket. The freedom fighters there collect money from the muslim population to protect the race and religion, the army justifies its salaries from the existence of the insurgency and they both occasionally scratch each others back.

Locke