• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Somebody! Stop contaminating malay food. And stop patronising these outlets. Boycott!

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal

Nasi lemak ‘babi’ vendors experience upsurge in demand following recent controversies​

Tok-Pork-1-750x423.jpg

Tok-Pork-1.jpg

AFTER the recent furore surrounding non-halal versions of national faves such as nasi lemak, there has been an upsurge in business as local foodies seek out these vendors.
This can be seen as interest shown in posts in foodie sites such as The Makan Club on Facebook which boasts close to 70,000 members.

A recent post by member Calvin Wong highlighting the delicious pork rendang at a stall called Tok Pork got tongues wagging – and presumably, tummies rumbling.

“Initially, I thought it’s just a hyped up nasi lemak but when my friend told me that it’s constant sold out, it got me intrigued. The pork rendang is really tender because of the pork fat and sambal is tasty, too, along with the fried shallots,” reported the foodie. “It’s a good plate of non-halal nasi lemak.”

Although nothing new in Malaysia, the issue was given fresh impetus when PRESMA (the Malaysian Muslim Restaurant Owners Association) president Datuk Jawahar Ali Taib Khan seemingly took offence to this practice of cross-culinary fusion.

He has had to make a climb down as municipal authorities and even religious spokespersons saw nothing wrong with vendor’s business which clearly stated it served non-halal food.

The upshot of all this silliness, though, was a huge and very welcome injection of custom (for Pumbaa Nasi Kandar and Nasi lemak stall.
Tok-Pork-2-506x632.jpg

As seen from the recent upsurge in interest in nasi lemak with pork side dishes, it appears non-Muslim foodies have been jolted into action.

By highlighting popular vendors on social media and joining the ever-growing queues, they are fighting for the right to enjoy their fave non-halal dishes.

These incidents are nothing but thinly-veiled attacks on multi-culturalism and diversity. And the foodies have responded in the best way they know – by supporting these outlets serving non-halal version of Malaysian dishes. – Nov 17, 2023

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
We all should accept this innovative ideas in food ,as long as seller declare non halal,its ok

The triggered Muslim snowflakes will whine about 'cultural misappropriation' or something along those lines.

I would have added the three magic words 'Proudly not halal' and a cute babi logo to the brand.

Refer to this bak kut teh restaurant that used to operate at Tiong Bahru. Something cute and endearing, which the Malay kids can relate to. :cool:

old_tiong_bahru_bak_kut_teh_signboard.jpg

superpower

Alfrescian
Loyal
Malay culture and food have existed for at 2,000 years. They were Hindus and Buddhists before Islam arrived about 700 years ago. The hunter-gatherers in Borneo and Sumatra were feasting on wild boar long before Islam came.

Why the big fuss?

If Malays can appropriate Italian food and turn it halal by using chicken ham and sausage, why can't others appropriate nasi lemak and add pork? Just make sure to label it 'non-halal'.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Malay culture and food have existed for at 2,000 years. They were Hindus and Buddhists before Islam arrived about 700 years ago. The hunter-gatherers in Borneo and Sumatra were feasting on wild boar long before Islam came.

Why the big fuss?

If Malays can appropriate Italian food and turn it halal by using chicken ham and sausage, why can't others appropriate nasi lemak and add pork? Just make sure to label it 'non-halal'.
Because immigrants are suppose to assimilate with local culture. Not the other way round.

superpower

Alfrescian
Loyal
Because immigrants are suppose to assimilate with local culture. Not the other way round.
Assimilate does not mean having to discard one's own gastronomic roots. Sometimes immigrant food can enrich local food culture, like the Chinese in Thailand who taught the locals what real cooking is.

Likewise the South Asians in UK while speaking with an apple in their mouths don't have to put up with fish and chips and Yorkshire pudding every day. They still love their curry. There are more curry houses in London than in Delhi.

Food evolves with time too through a mix of cultures, adaptation and experimentation. There's already halal bak kut teh and halal pizza with chicken salami, why not nasi lemak babi.

Stop looking at the world through the lens of religious pieties and injunctions and the world will get along fine.

BTW I don't eat much meat myself but I'll not impose my personal preferences on others.

Last edited:

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sometimes immigrant food can enrich local food culture, like the Chinese in Thailand who taught the locals what real cooking is.
What are you saying. It's thai influence that made Chinese food tasty in Thailand.
Tom yum kung, padprick , green curry red curry. All yummy.

superpower

Alfrescian
Loyal
What are you saying. It's thai influence that made Chinese food tasty in Thailand.
Tom yum kung, padprick , green curry red curry. All yummy.
The Chinese taught the Thais how to boil, stir-fry, steam, deep fry, braise. Introduced noodles and pork. The Thais added the spices and chillies and the coconut milk. Great fusion cuisine.

kulgai

Alfrescian
Loyal

Nasi lemak ‘babi’ vendors experience upsurge in demand following recent controversies​

View attachment 191483
Tok-Pork-1.jpg

AFTER the recent furore surrounding non-halal versions of national faves such as nasi lemak, there has been an upsurge in business as local foodies seek out these vendors.
This can be seen as interest shown in posts in foodie sites such as The Makan Club on Facebook which boasts close to 70,000 members.

A recent post by member Calvin Wong highlighting the delicious pork rendang at a stall called Tok Pork got tongues wagging – and presumably, tummies rumbling.

“Initially, I thought it’s just a hyped up nasi lemak but when my friend told me that it’s constant sold out, it got me intrigued. The pork rendang is really tender because of the pork fat and sambal is tasty, too, along with the fried shallots,” reported the foodie. “It’s a good plate of non-halal nasi lemak.”

Although nothing new in Malaysia, the issue was given fresh impetus when PRESMA (the Malaysian Muslim Restaurant Owners Association) president Datuk Jawahar Ali Taib Khan seemingly took offence to this practice of cross-culinary fusion.

He has had to make a climb down as municipal authorities and even religious spokespersons saw nothing wrong with vendor’s business which clearly stated it served non-halal food.

The upshot of all this silliness, though, was a huge and very welcome injection of custom (for Pumbaa Nasi Kandar and Nasi lemak stall.
View attachment 191484

As seen from the recent upsurge in interest in nasi lemak with pork side dishes, it appears non-Muslim foodies have been jolted into action.

By highlighting popular vendors on social media and joining the ever-growing queues, they are fighting for the right to enjoy their fave non-halal dishes.

These incidents are nothing but thinly-veiled attacks on multi-culturalism and diversity. And the foodies have responded in the best way they know – by supporting these outlets serving non-halal version of Malaysian dishes. – Nov 17, 2023
from the looks of it, seems like pork has been the missing ingredient behind its success

True Believer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Pork nasi lemak, pork satay... etc What is the big deal?
I have been eating Nasi Lemak sold by non-Muslim stallholders who offer luncheon meat in their choice of dishes as well as pork satay by Chinese hawkers since I was a child. As long as there is no attempt to mislead Muslims that the stalls are halal, I don't see the problem. Non-Muslims like me have been eating both Malay and Indian food since my primary school days. That's the beauty of living in a multiracial country like S'pore.

True Believer

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Chinese taught the Thais how to boil, stir-fry, steam, deep fry, braise. Introduced noodles and pork. The Thais added the spices and chillies and the coconut milk. Great fusion cuisine.
Almost every S'porean I know have absolutely no issue with multicultural cuisine. I wonder what is the point of stirring this matter up? Is it an attempt to divide us by pointing to our differences rather than emphasising our common heritage?

VanDick

Alfrescian
Loyal

View attachment 191483
Tok-Pork-1.jpg

View attachment 191484

What's the issue here? If you don't like this food, then either choose not to eat it, or just change your religion.