• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Some common Malay words that are useful to know in JB

Batok Seri

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi, are these greeting phrases used betw Muslims only?
Correctomundo.
Stick with Malay.
Best to leave Arabic greetings and phrases to people of the faith.
Some Malays don't mind, but others will think that you are 'over' (over the top) and you'll immediately sense an air of unease.(silent alarm just went off. Interloper alert! Interloper alert!)

Last edited:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Malay is Singapore's national language and is used in all drill commands in the military. The whole National Day military parade routine is conducted in Malay.

I 'm surprised so few know even basic Malay. :rolleyes:

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
they know the commands and thats good enough on the parade square .... no need to know conversational malay if they dont want to.

Malay is Singapore's national language and is used in all drill commands in the military. The whole National Day military parade routine is conducted in Malay.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
they know the commands and thats good enough on the parade square .... no need to know conversational malay if they dont want to.

It would be prudent to learn it now rather than to wait till learning the language becomes mandatory when Singapore reverts to Malay rule.

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
i think i am ahead of the game boss....i know satu , dua, tiga, makan .....do you think i could get by with these 4 words?

It would be prudent to learn it now rather than to wait till learning the language becomes mandatory when Singapore reverts to Malay rule.

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hehe .. Sure can. Make sure u follow up with humor by saying "Aku taktau cahkap malayu" :p they will appreciate that and laugh with u :smile:

i think i am ahead of the game boss....i know satu , dua, tiga, makan .....do you think i could get by with these 4 words?

Last edited:

groober2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think if you live in Rome you do as the Romans do. Pick up the lingua franca, enough to live by and avoid miscommunication. Being a foreigner in their land, it is good to fraternise with the locals and not alienate oneself.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Correctomundo.
Stick with Malay.
Best to leave Arabic greetings and phrases to people of the faith.
Some Malays don't mind, but others will think that you are 'over' (over the top) and you'll immediately sense an air of unease.(silent alarm just went off. Interloper alert! Interloper alert!)

Your Eng vocab very power, learn two new words today:
correctomundo = totally correct
interloper = uninvited intruder

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal

Most Singaporeans don't know Malay nowadays becos of the education system. In the past, some SG Chinese learned Malay as second language but stopped long time ago. I recall when I was in lower secondary, my class was majority Malay, a few Indians and the rest Chinese, even then we all spoke in English only.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
tak apa la bro.... boleh belajar....sabar sadikit tentu berjaya.

Your Malay very advance leh, I only know what is berjaya (success)..the rest need to use the translator to check:
belajar = study
sabar = patient
sadikit = slight
tentu = of course

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
Pandu cermat-cermat ... Drive carefully

Aku cinta kamu - I love you

Aku kenang kamu - I think of u / I miss u

Ingat keluarga Kamu - think of your family

Jangan guna telefon bimbit - don't use hand phone

:smile:

Berhati hati di Jalan raya .be careful while on the road

groober2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
These are the common road signs in Malaysia. Should print it out and keep in your glove compartment in case you forgot what it means.

Commonly Used Malay Terms for General Road Sign Usage

Malay TermEnglish Translation
Arah (eg. arah utara)Bound (eg. north bound)
BaratWest
JalanRoad
JambatanBridge
LebuhStreet
LebuhrayaHighway
LorongLane
MasjidMosque
MenaraTower
PantaiBeach
ParitCanal
PersiaranDrive
PulauIsland