• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Sinkies too focused on PMET jobs says economics professor

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Executive-focused society in Singapore 'is bizarre'

20130325.085419_bloomberg_officewk.jpg

Joy Fang
My Paper
Monday, Mar 25, 2013

SINGAPORE - Singapore is too fixated on producing professional, managerial, executive and technician (PMET) jobs for Singaporeans, and this mindset creates a problem, said economics professor Linda Lim yesterday at a population-policy forum.

Prof Lim, who is a University of Michigan business-school professor, said that if so much emphasis is placed on such high-skilled jobs, the prestige of lower-skilled occupations, such as bus drivers and carpenters, would be low.

So, citizens would typically not take up these jobs, as is the case, with foreigners filling in instead.

"It is bizarre to have a society where we have only PMETs and everyone wants to be a PMET. If you have that kind of society, of course you would need foreigners," she said.

Pointing out a sentence in the Government's January Population White Paper, which said that Singaporeans "aspire to be in higher-skilled and more rewarding work", Prof Lim said that this is already a value judgment by the authorities.

It suggests that being a bus driver is low-skilled, unrewarding and a job for foreigners, she said.

"Why is it only us who cannot do our own low-skilled work?'

She further questioned why it was that only Singaporeans considered these jobs low-skilled and not deserving of good pay or respect.

The forum was organised by the University of Michigan Alumni in Singapore. Held at The American Club, it was attended by 120 academics, business owners and alumni members.

Prof Lim noted that Singapore currently sets a maximum-growth target and works towards that, pumping in foreigners when the country comes up short on labour. But she questioned why there was a need to set "unrealistic" growth targets and try to attain them.

On Singapore's fertility issues, demography expert and former chief statistician Paul Cheung, who also spoke, said it is vital to tackle it by starting with the perceptions of Singaporeans first.

He said: "People in Singapore may be too caught up with their own careers and the trappings of urban living. I think they have forgotten about certain basic elements, such as human relationships and family values. We need to go back to the basics."

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
if you allow a PAP to run a country with their elite mindset, those lower skilled job will be perceived as low class and unwanted..

This is a very sinkie mindset and behaviour... that is why it is better to stay away from this fucked up country run by a fucked tup bunch of sinkies.

Hawkeye1819

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Executive-focused society in Singapore 'is bizarre'

Joy Fang
My Paper
Monday, Mar 25, 2013

SINGAPORE - Singapore is too fixated on producing professional, managerial, executive and technician (PMET) jobs for Singaporeans, and this mindset creates a problem, said economics professor Linda Lim yesterday at a population-policy forum.

Prof Lim, who is a University of Michigan business-school professor, said that if so much emphasis is placed on such high-skilled jobs, the prestige of lower-skilled occupations, such as bus drivers and carpenters, would be low.

So, citizens would typically not take up these jobs, as is the case, with foreigners filling in instead.

This is a nonsensical statement. Which ordinary person would not want as good a job as possible? Fuck!! If I am a parent, you mean I tell my kid to go for a low skilled job when he grows up? Of course not right?

Fuck!

Of course if you are self-employed like me, you won't care really.

Hawkeye1819

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
In other developed Anglo-Saxon countries, low skilled workers like rubbish collectors can earn a fairly decent wage. There is no shame at all in doing those jobs.

In Singapore, if you take these jobs, your wages will be so low that you won't be able to afford a house, much less provide for your family's needs.

That's the difference between Singapore and other developed Anglo-Saxon countries.

Rather than decrying the fact that Singaporeans shun certain jobs, we should focus on raising lower income wages.

Last edited:

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
if you allow a PAP to run a country with their elite mindset....

In other developed Anglo-Saxon countries, low skilled workers like rubbish collectors can earn a fairly decent wage. There is no shame at all in doing those jobs.

In Singapore, if you take these jobs, your wages will be so low that you won't be able to afford a house, much less provide for your family's needs.

I suspect this problem has nothing to do with PAP and minimum wage. It is actually an Asian thing.

Asians can't differentiate between "service" and "servitude" -- a service provider is as good as a slave. That's why waiters, drivers, domestic helpers, nurses, construction workers etc will always be exploited.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

That's the difference between Singapore and other developed Anglo-Saxon countries.

Rather than decrying the fact that Singaporeans shun certain jobs, we should focus on raising lower income wages.

Yes, my observations too. In the 1st world countries, no need for FT to drive buses, clear rubbish, construction workers etc. Decent salaries is the panacea.

Hawkeye1819

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Asians can't differentiate between "service" and "servitude" -- a service provider is as good as a slave. That's why waiters, drivers, domestic helpers, nurses, construction workers etc will always be exploited.

Yes, partly that. Service versus servitude.

Also, its the way Singapore is structured to benefit the elites and upper income class disproportionately. Elitism is a mindset that is sunk into our kids at a young age, starting from secondary school.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
.......................................He said: "People in Singapore may be too caught up with their own careers and the trappings of urban living. I think they have forgotten about certain basic elements, such as human relationships and family values. We need to go back to the basics."

Agreed. But how? Especially when your basic is money?

Good luck. Have fun.

Cheers!

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes, partly that. Service versus servitude.

Also, its the way Singapore is structured to benefit the elites and upper income class disproportionately. Elitism is a mindset that is sunk into our kids at a young age, starting from secondary school.

If no one serves Leegime dogs, they will aphyxiate and die in minutes like cockroach sprayed with insecticide.

hotbot

Alfrescian
Loyal
actually, what the prof said is correct. i think there are too many pmets and end up being squeezed out of the rat race when they reached typical age of 40+, by that age, you probably need money for your schooling kids and so on. of course, your career will be smooth sailing if you are one of the cronies being taken care of, i have seen a plenty.

why can't we live like angmo country where there is equal respect and dignity for blue collar workers cos it's a sinkie thing!:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
actually, what the prof said is correct. i think there are too many pmets and end up being squeezed out of the rat race when they reached typical age of 40+, by that age, you probably need money for your schooling kids and so on. of course, your career will be smooth sailing if you are one of the cronies being taken care of, i have seen a plenty.

why can't we live like angmo country where there is equal respect and dignity for blue collar workers cos it's a sinkie thing!:rolleyes:

Depends on what type of blue collar you are. If you are Engineer, kinda a hybrid between a white and blue collar then still not too bad.

hotbot

Alfrescian
Loyal
a story to share: my good friend's mum was a driving instructor in SSDC before. the whole family migrated to aussieland 1 decade ago. she is now a bus driver cum instructor for the bus company there. and she is making more money than my accountant friend.

i think it's more of a chinese perception rather than sinkie anyhow.

Depends on what type of blue collar you are. If you are Engineer, kinda a hybrid between a white and blue collar then still not too bad.

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is a nonsensical statement. Which ordinary person would not want as good a job as possible? Fuck!! If I am a parent, you mean I tell my kid to go for a low skilled job when he grows up? Of course not right?

Fuck!

Of course if you are self-employed like me, you won't care really.
Who says carpenters and bus drivers are low skilled jobs? I think to be an expert carpenter or bus driver demand even more skills then many PMET jobs out there. Unfortunately society's ignorance means that they are paid too low and consequently we are stuck with lousy construction workers, carpenters etc.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is nothing to do with PMET. Whichever job that offers higher pay, sinkies will go for it. PMET is just a name only. I know someone with the title "chief financial officer" was paid $1800/mth, worse than bus driver, receptionist and some blue collar workers.

Last edited:

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Who says carpenters and bus drivers are low skilled jobs? I think to be an expert carpenter or bus driver demand even more skills then many PMET jobs out there. Unfortunately society's ignorance means that they are paid too low and consequently we are stuck with lousy construction workers, carpenters etc.

I agree on this..most PMET only know how to e.g. do presentations, use MS office, chit chat msn, do bit of proj mgt, bring laptop here n there machiam damn happening. But in actual fact carpenters, electrician, plumbers are of higher value and skillset then PMET