• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Sinkies getting married on Valentine's Day

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
87 couples say 'I do' on Valentine's Day
yq-rom-13022019_2x_2x.jpg
This is the largest number of solemnisations on Valentine's Day since 2016 when 66 couples said "I do", according to a Registry of Marriages statement on Feb 13, 2019.PHOTO: THE NEW PAPER
PUBLISHED
FEB 13, 2019, 6:45 PM SGT
FACEBOOKTWITTEREMAIL

Theresa Tan
Senior Social Affairs Correspondent

SINGAPORE - Love is in the air as a total of 87 couples will be registering their marriages on Thursday (Feb 14).
This is the largest number of solemnisations on Valentine's Day since 2016, said the Registry of Marriages (ROM) in a statement on Wednesday. That year, 66 couples said "I do", with 58 doing so in 2017 and 65 last year.
The most popular Valentine's Day for marriage, however, was in 1995, when 1,082 couples tied the knot. That day coincided with the 15th day of the Lunar New Year, which is also known as Yuan Xiao Jie, or the Chinese equivalent of Valentine's Day.

The numbers refer only to non-Muslim marriages.
Among the couples saying "I do" on Thursday are service engineer Pang Keng Hao, 29, and Miss Yap Wei Xuan, a 26-year-old research engineer.
Mr Pang said: "We chose Valentine's Day as it's a very memorable day for couples. It's also easy to remember our wedding anniversary."

The couple met while studying at Nanyang Polytechnic and have been dating for nine years.
Her smile captured his heart, said Mr Pang.
"She's straightforward and candid. I find her very real and cute. She's very comfortable being herself and that captivates me," he added.
About four years ago, he proposed to Miss Yap. They will get the keys to their Build-To-Order flat by the middle of this year and will hold their customary Chinese wedding reception this October.

Another couple who will be exchanging marriage vows are Mr Loo Zhi Wei, who is serving national service, and Miss Valerie Chew, a purchaser. Both are 23.
They chose the date as it falls on the fourth anniversary of them getting together as a couple after they met while studying in Republic Polytechnic.
Mr Loo said: “I asked her to be my girlfriend on Valentine’s Day. So I thought it will be nice to get married on Valentine’s Day too.”
As part of its Valentine's Day celebrations, the ROM is launching a campaign on Thursday to get couples to share their memories of their solemnisation.
"My ROM story" is jointly organised by the Ministry of Social and Family Development - the parent ministry of ROM - and the Singapore Memory Project.
Members of the public can share their photos and memories of ROM, including what they remember of the building, on the Singapore Memory Project website at www.singaporememory.sg/campaigns/myromstory
The ROM is also hosting a National Heritage Board exhibition called "Romance, Hopes and Dreams" from now until March 1. It highlights the significance of wedding customs and rituals of the major ethnic groups here.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I bet it's her decision, not his. :wink:

They should take a short walk down to the Freemasonic Lodge and have a nice post-marriage meal there.

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
This should be a sobering reminder of what's next....

https://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore/divorce-rate-10-year-high-fewer-getting-married

SINGAPORE

Divorce rate at a 10-year high, fewer getting married
bum_9592.jpg
TNP PHOTO: ARIFFIN JAMAR

Hariz Baharudin

Reporter
Jul 19, 2017 06:00 am

Last year was not the best for love in Singapore, with fewer people getting married and divorce at a 10-year high, statistics on marriages and divorces for 2016 show.
Minister for Social and Family Development Tan Chuan-Jin said on Facebook: "My ministry will continue its core work of strengthening and supporting marriages, as they are the basis of families and our society."
Mr Simon Neo, marriage counsellor at The Psychotherapy Clinic, was not surprised by the drop in marriages.
"Nowadays there are so many open relationships... Commitment is a big issue," he said.
As for the increase in divorces, he said: "Couples these days don't know how to articulate expectations of each other. It comes out in defensiveness and contempt, and they are too busy fighting. The hectic schedule here contributes to it too."

Mr Neo also said that people are more open to inter-ethnic marriages now "because they want to go for what they feel is really good for them".

key_findings_in_marriages_and_divorces_in_singapore_0.jpg

Blazars

Alfrescian
Loyal
It was hot during the 90s and early 2000. Didnt know nowadays still got couples want to hold wedding/ solemnisation on these dates.

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
Fugging 365 days a year to love your woman deep deep, some western bastard choose to invent a day to milk everyone's money for their own commercial gains. And chao young sinkies believe in this crap. Lol :biggrin:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Fugging 365 days a year to love your woman deep deep, some western bastard choose to invent a day to milk everyone's money for their own commercial gains. And chao young sinkies believe in this crap. Lol :biggrin:

Father's Day and Mother's Day too. But chumps are held hostage by notions of filial piety, and the need to partake of gratuitous consumerism to show how filial they are. :rolleyes: