• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Sinkie asks why SAF officers travel business class

MarcusTan

Alfrescian
Loyal
https://www.straitstimes.com/forum/why-do-saf-officers-fly-business-class-to-exercises

An army officer I knew from my national service days was travelling to Australia recently for a military exercise. From his social media account, I saw that he was travelling in business class on a commercial airline (Air New Zealand). Another friend, a junior NSF officer, also travelled in business class to an overseas military exercise some years ago.

Thus, it seems that commissioned officers, whether regulars or NSFs, get to enjoy the privilege of travelling in business class for overseas missions.

I am curious over the need for them to do so, although this may be acceptable if the entire flight is chartered by the Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) or if the officers fork out their own money for a seat upgrade.

Is it because officers need the privacy on board to work on sensitive documents? Some might argue that officers deserve to travel on business class because they serve the country. But if that is the basis, then all soldiers should travel on business class too since their contributions are not insignificant either.

I can accept it if the SAF has a legitimate reason behind such an arrangement, but without any justification, the public may construe this as an unnecessarily extravagant use of taxpayers' resources. After all, a business class ticket is much more expensive than an economy class one.

Sean Lim Wei Xin

knowwhatyouwantinlife

Alfrescian
Loyal
Have military exercise never chartered whole plane one meh? Maybe they are advance party and their designation equates them to a ft military officer hence biz class...

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I travel first class at company's expense because I need to stay fresh and sharp for my business meetings. Also, I don't want screaming kids or busybodies peeping at my company's confidential files as I work on my laptop. My serfs understand why towkays should fly first class out of necessity.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
The answer is simple... rank must have its privileges or what's the point of striving to do better in life.

When I was working for a multinational I worked very hard for the first 3 years of my career in order to get to managerial level. It wasn't just the salary. I wanted the perks ie the business class travel, the reserved, secure car parks next to the factory entrance, the club membership and the $250,000 medical insurance.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If can pay PM and his Cronies millions why hassle over a business class ticket.

I salute you on this. Sean forgot that, it is a privilege to serve National Service & Reservist, he fail to understand, " whose privilege". You chow privates etc..you wanna go by commercial plane...you are lucky you get the C130 Hercules, you wanna Airbus 380?.

It is a privilege...whom did Sean family voted for, Sean will vote or voted for? PAP is the best. Stop complaining.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I travel first class at company's expense because I need to stay fresh and sharp for my business meetings. Also, I don't want screaming kids or busybodies peeping at my company's confidential files as I work on my laptop. My serfs understand why towkays should fly first class out of necessity.

May friendly fire bring you to nirvana.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
So therefore all male Singaporeans should travel business class while all female Singaporeans should travel no class.

mixmasternrv

Alfrescian
Loyal
This letter writer is always a sabo king! Most of his previous letters are also in similar vein. I suspect its also simply a case of sour grapes/envy! The letter writer is probably not an officer and thus will never have the privilege of better seats in the aircraft while on overseas exercise. I had a run in with a dumbass LCP from my reservist unit who was a senior VP in a bank in civilian life about seating in an aircraft. The guy was all flustered about the officers having better seats. I mean NS does teach you that RHIP - rank has its privileges - just like in real life!

Alfrescian
Loyal
the officers get to fly business is to justify the first class tickets for the fucking paper generals, stoopig...