• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Singapore's next PM to be decided among younger members of Cabinet: PM Lee

abcdexyz

Alfrescian
Loyal
TOKYO - It is up to the younger members of the Cabinet to decide among themselves who the next Prime Minister will be, said Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong on Thursday (Sept 29).

"They have to decide, because they have to support him, and help to make the system, make the team work," he said at a special session of the 22nd Nikkei International Conference on The Future of Asia in Tokyo.

Mr Lee was responding to a question on Singapore's leadership succession from session moderator Sonoko Watanabe, who is editor-in-chief of business publication Nikkei Asian Review.

His remarks came a day after Deputy Prime Minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam, 59, categorically ruled himself out of the running to succeed Mr Lee, 64, who has been prime minister since 2004.

cytharman14.jpg
Deputy Prime Minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam attends the Economic Society of Singapore Annual Dinner 2016 event held at Mandarin Orchard Hotel.
Related Story
DPM Tharman rules himself out as next prime minister: 'I am not the man for PM'

851519764_31953_7834229880145559295.jpg
The Asia Pacific region is entering a period where there are major geopolitical shifts and difficult internal conditions to navigate, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said on Thursday (Sept 29) at the Nikkei International Conference.
Related Story
Countries must step up cooperation, not turn inwards, in challenging environment: PM Lee

The question of Singapore's political leadership succession took on added significance after Mr Lee briefly took ill during his speech at last month's National Day Rally. He recovered and returned after an hour to complete it.

Mr Lee himself has repeatedly said that he plans to step down some time after the next general election, which must be held by April 2021.

At the Nikkei forum on Thursday, he said Singapore wants its leaders to be "able people, good people, committed people - people who can connect with the population, who can lead Singapore, who are prepared to fight for what they believe in and fight for what they can do together."

Based on these qualities, he said, he has assembled "to the best of my ability" a team in Cabinet.

And as for who will eventually assume his mantle, PM Lee said: "I've said very likely the next PM will come from amongst the younger members of my Cabinet.

"Who, (that) is up to them to work out among themselves and I hope in good time - I'm sure in good time - a consensus will develop among them as to who the next leader will be."

http://www.straitstimes.com/politic...cided-among-younger-members-of-cabinet-pm-lee

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal
The dilemma SG is facing now clearly shows that the pap has failed Singaporeans. There is no clear leader worthy to be PM.

Those selected to be ministers and leaders by LHL just cant make it
Those who are leaders and can make it dont accept LHL and are not in his Cabinet

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hopefully, the "younger" members of the PAP Cabinet would seriously consider the situation, and take the necessary steps to nominate and elect Tharman as the next PM.
Thereafter, there may be a potential new candidate for PM.

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hopefully, the "younger" members of the PAP Cabinet would seriously consider the situation, and take the necessary steps to nominate and elect Tharman as the next PM.
Thereafter, there may be a potential new candidate for PM.

Who do u think is worthy?

All, except perhaps HSK, speak with forked tongues

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

The President Scholars have been groomed to think that nobody but them are the best. The system has nurtured them to believe that president scholars float to the very top. Why would they ever nominate a non president scholar unless that person was already way above them in the ranks?

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal
The President Scholars have been groomed to think that nobody but them are the best. The system has nurtured them to believe that president scholars float to the very top. Why would they ever nominate a non president scholar unless that person was already way above them in the ranks?

name one scholar who is worthy to be PM

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

A leader, a PM, a CEO, a Permanent Secretary, a BG / MG / LG does not have to be a "President's Scholar".
With respect, I believe that the PM should be an individual who speaks very well (eloquent, clear, and with a neutral accent), tall or very tall, good looking, fit and is fit, with good people's skills,
has charisma, and understand the life of a "commoner".
Accordingly, any "President's Scholar" who has had a sheltered life as a child and teenager, who cannot empathized the average Singaporean, is considered over qualified.
With respect, I believe an individual like Benny Lim and Leo Yip come to my mind (except that I am a non-resident for decades, and do not know of more individuals with the above mentioned attributes),
and individuals like B.K., CCS, OYK may not be suitable.

jw5

Loyal
A leader, a PM, a CEO, a Permanent Secretary, a BG / MG / LG does not have to be a "President's Scholar".
With respect, I believe that the PM should be an individual who speaks very well (eloquent, clear, and with a neutral accent), tall or very tall, good looking, fit and is fit, with good people's skills,
Accordingly, any "President's Scholar" who has had a sheltered life as a child and teenager, who cannot empathized the average Singaporean, is considered over qualified.
With respect, I believe an individual like Benny Lim and Leo Yip come to my mind (except that I am a non-resident for decades, and do not know of more individuals with the above mentioned attributes),

Why are these individuals not suitable? Too ugly? :confused::biggrin:

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yes, a good leader must have compassion for the common people and must not go all out to tax him until he hurts

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why are these individuals not suitable? Too ugly? :confused::biggrin:

BK is too pretentious, and although thinks well and sharp, is from the minority, too focused on political science and foreign affairs, probably with little knowledge of the economic affairs and the world of business.
CCS - may be very smart and analytical as well as trilingual (with respect, I do not believe that he speaks Malay well, probably he learned it as an adult and tutored, not from interacting with Malays - at least compared to my spoken Malay, like a Malay although I am not a Malay), but unable to speak English well, short, not charismatic
OYK - may be smart and have some non govt., private sector experience; may have good family connections, ugly, not charismatic, and with respect, "his looks" just does not instill trust.