• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singapore's Ethnic Indians Insecurity, Hypocrisy & Obsession with Ethnic Chinese in Singapore

Interstellar

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.themalaymailonline.com/opinion/surekha-a-yadav/article/are-there-any-chinese-in-singapore

Are there any Chinese in Singapore?

Sunday December 31, 2017

marina-tourist-reuters.jpg

Born and bred in Singapore, Surekha A. Yadav is a freelance journalist in Southeast Asia.

DECEMBER 31 — A rather interesting article has been doing the rounds on the internet lately: an opinion piece in the South China Morning Post (SCMP) which discusses why ethnic Chinese in South-east Asia don’t owe their loyalty to China.

It’s an interesting article that I think makes a broadly valid point that the so-called “Chinese” of the region have in fact become a multitude of different peoples who often have very little to do with the modern Chinese nation.

Now the writer of the SCMP piece looks at the matter from a strategic perspective: the role these ethnic Chinese populations should play in the face of a rising China.

However, for me the article raises even more fundamental issues regarding race, identity and discrimination. Basically, is there even such a thing as a South-east Asian Chinese and can such a people coherently exist?

I have always been told it can. On just about every form from the essential IC to gym application forms (why?) I am asked if I am Chinese, Indian, Malay or other.

From birth I have been taught to answer that I am Indian. Though I am a Singapore citizen born in Singapore to parents born in Singapore and with my grandparents also, largely, born in Singapore

I have also been told since birth that I am different from the majority of Singaporeans who are Chinese. But when you really give this some thought, it doesn’t make that much sense.

What is Indian about a person whose ancestors have been born in Singapore and Malaysia for over five generations? Who has been to India, at most three times in her life.

The answer is well, maybe not that much. I can speak Tamil because Singapore’s education system forced you (circa 1990 but it is a little different now) to study your “mother tongue” (my mother’s tongue is largely English but she’s brown so Tamil it was).

Now I am very happy I speak Tamil and I wish I spoke it better, but does that make me Indian?

I have an aunt who is of Chinese ethnicity but was raised by Singaporean Indians and went on to marry one: is she therefore Indian?

And what if you, or your parents at least, didn’t eat the bitterness of the Cultural Revolution, don’t know the pain of Gao Kao (national exams), don’t know your Liang Hui (annual political decision-making session) from your Zhèngzhìjú (Politburo), can you really be Chinese?

For the most part, I think not. National identity is about more than language or skin colour, it’s about feeling comfortable in the place you’re in, knowing where you belong and having a set of references and experiences you can share.

But how can someone who has never seen a country belong there? For years and generations, many Singapore Chinese never set foot in China.

These people created a culture of their own — from laksa to the Nonya kebaya — this culture was a clear fusion of Chinese and indigenous elements.

It was the British with their obsession for classifying, the Singapore government with its determination to foster a Chinese identity and the intolerance of regional governments who made ethnic Chinese feel unwelcome that created this determination for a people to pronounce themselves Chinese.

In other settler-dominated nations like Australia, Argentina and New Zealand you don’t see this as much. Many/most white Australians/New Zealanders are of English descent (unlike the USA where there are all sorts of origins) but for the most part they don’t go around saying they are English though they are in fact at least as English as I am Indian or Singapore Chinese are Chinese.

But in Singapore we are quite fixated on the idea of “race” (though we mean ethnicity, at best). We commonly say things like: I saw an Indian guy arguing with a Chinese taxi driver. Though we know neither of these guys is Indian or Chinese, they are both Singaporean.

It doesn’t have to be like this. In Thailand a huge number of people (up to 25 million or nearly 40 per cent of the population) are of partial Chinese descent — opposition supremo Thaksin Shinawatra and millions of others all have ancestors from Southern China but they clearly identify as Thai first with Chinese ancestry being, generally, a very secondary part of their identity.

This makes sense to me; while I don’t deny my Indian heritage I am Singaporean first, Westernised second, a Yishun-rep third, a Beyonce fan fourth or something like that. Identity is layered and complex; where does India fit in my identity — somewhere but not too much.

Our ethnic origin is only a part of our identity and trying to equate us with the land of our ancestors will only weaken our actual nation.

If you tell people from birth that they are Chinese, and if they must state their Chineseness over and over again, would you be surprised if some of them end up being loyal to China?

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dont say linpeh racist, these shitskins are the real racist who like to stir shit about race.

If so unhappy being shitskin in sinkieland, do fuck back to shitland and be a majority there.

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"If you tell people from birth that they are Chinese, and if they must state their Chineseness over and over again, would you be
surprised if some of them end up being loyal to China? "
She should sell that idea to the PAP-what with SAP schools, "higher " Chinese and immersion in china for thousands of students-not to mention the thousands( a million now ?) of PRC's being implanted/migrated to this red dot. So many thousands of mainland Chinese being given scholarships here at the expense of locals too.

grandtour

Alfrescian
Loyal
Skin Conscious, Color Conscious, Caste Conscious, Language Conscious, Religion Conscious, Race Conscious are Typical Indian Traits deeply rooted in Indian Culture and Mindset. Every Indians underlying motivation comes from Conscious Discrimination towards others and Perceived Oppression from others.

Indians will always be either openly or subtly criticizing and accusing the world of Racism, Discrimination and Oppression in whatever they write, say or do. Its called Psychological Projection. In Singapore context, Indians projection target is Chinese.

The Hard Truth is, Indians are the Biggest Hypocritical Closet Racists themselves.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Shitskins like to target sinkie chinks especially security guards and TP and car park aunty. This is the only time they feel they have power.

During my early working days, was driving company commercial vehicle (those with 60 km speed limit device). Each time kenna TP, if I see chinks or m&ds TP, will try to cham seong . Usually have 50-50 chance. My experience is also m&ds tp can cham seong chances slightly higher than chinks tp. Cos’ most understand we are just peasants earning a living.

If kenna shitskin TP, no need to waste time and talk, just give your license and take the summon and fuck off.

PTADER

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dont say linpeh racist, these shitskins are the real racist who like to stir shit about race.

If so unhappy being shitskin in sinkieland, do fuck back to shitland and be a majority there.

Agree. These tiresome Indians are fucking first class whiners and whingers. As I said some time ago, the worse attitudes and racist remarks I have encountered about Malays all come from these "discriminated" Indians. Put these Indians in power and the country will be totally fucked. If they feel so strongly about "discrimination", they should simply fuck off to India.

rushifa666

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is a fake brown potato. In 1990s the whole family already try to be fake angmoh. And end up in malaysia. I dont get

grandtour

Alfrescian
Loyal
Next time before you read an article and you notice its written by an Indian named author/journalist, usually accompanied by a heavily photoshopped fair & lovely face pic, just take note: It will be a long essay with element of indian victimhood with a tinge of indian jealousy, written in a highly narcissistic cunning way with a subtle hidden agenda to manipulate the readers.

There is a very good reason why Indians are known as Cunning Snakes with Forked Tongues.

HBu5M5X.jpg

bic_cherry

Alfrescian
Loyal
The reason why PAP adopted many laws and statutes from what Britain (as colonist) imposed on India was because it help keep the nation divided so that all would kow tow to British rule.

PAP maintains things like the Indian Penal Code because it helps PAP maintain control over Singapore even though many parts of it may not be good for Singapore in the long run.

If PAP could sell opium to Singaporeans, I think they might too...

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Her article is disjointed (practically unreadable unless the concept of flow has to be taken out totally) and I think she is attempting to address too many issues and some of it personal rather than address an issue or issues in a coherent manner.

Her first mistake is her attempt to address Chinese identity and clearly she has no idea what is talking about. If she did not state that she is a 3rd generation Singaporean, I would have assumed that she is FOB from India. Most local Indians by the 2nd generation would have a fair grasp of their brethren Singapore Chinese but not this individual. I think that having been employed by an Indian owned company to run a PR consultancy firm here, she is either attempting to convince her Indian boss that she is indeed an expert on local affairs and therefore can also serve the China, HK and Taiwanese. I have read her other articles elsewhere and I surprised she got her Masters from Columbia School for Journalism. Pretty much rubbish.

I don't think she is a racist - just a confused individual with no bent of journalism. Just read her other articles - they are page fillers at best.

Interstellar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Everyone has numerous identities: ethnic, culture, nationality, religion etc. Whichever identity chinese (or any ethnic group) feels more affinity to, is for chinese to decide for themselves, none of indians god damn business. The whole article simply reeks of indians jealousy and obsession with chinese.

ToaPehGong

Alfrescian
Loyal
An Indian writing and admitting they are being marginalized will only feed the ego of those she criticised aka the Chinese. Stand up and be equal rather than to seek equality with victimisation.

rushifa666

Alfrescian
Loyal
They will never be equal. When pinkie went for holiday, big nose and jiuhukia took over. Not brown tharman. Indians are clueless