• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singaporeans working as fruit pickers in OZ

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Recently published news 52 year old Singapore man who died in crash in Melboune working as fruit picker and packer, been there for 10 years.

So it is proven true that so called many jobs Singaporeasns "don't want to do" in Singapore is because wages are too low or employers simply don't want to hire older workers.

Singaporeans are hardworking and willing to do menial work if the pay is right, employers must be weaned off cheap labour and pay more to entice Singaporeans to do menial jobs, instead of always threatening higher prices if they do.

Tuayapeh

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
pickihng fruits jin siah sway meh? its a decent day's wages.....

i think everyday putting up a fucking wayang, lying to people and then making off with millions of taxpayers monies is worse.........

Tuayapeh

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I am saying Singaporeans are not lazy as the Singaporean Govt is making them out to be.

http://mypaper.sg/top-stories/sporean-killed-melbourne-horror-crash-20140324

you are right....

sinkies are like this wife that a husband is tired of after that ungrateful fucker has gotten rich and successful..... now every hiam the wife to be sum part la,,,,huang lian poh la....dunno how to siogan lah.....now he wanna fuck everything else but his wife and trying chueh taichi so that he can get himself a new wife lor....

fuck you pap....

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I only heard of foreign students working in such jobs usually part time.
I know of Thais going to Oz to work in such jobs....was told they can get around 75k baht per month...that's about sgd3k.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
True. If Singapore can grows tree for fruits, will also claim no Singaporeans want top pick fruits, all jobs go to FTs/ FW.

PAP don't dare to say Singaporeans don't want to drive taxis??????

Recently published news 52 year old Singapore man who died in crash in Melboune working as fruit picker and packer, been there for 10 years.

So it is proven true that so called many jobs Singaporeasns "don't want to do" in Singapore is because wages are too low or employers simply don't want to hire older workers.

Singaporeans are hardworking and willing to do menial work if the pay is right, employers must be weaned off cheap labour and pay more to entice Singaporeans to do menial jobs, instead of always threatening higher prices if they do.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
I know of Thais going to Oz to work in such jobs....was told they can get around 75k baht per month...that's about sgd3k.

Australia got minimum wage mah. Even if this sinkie got minimum wage there, with the lower cost of living he is still better off than in singapore. Can buy a cheap car too, and probably got universal free health coverage.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
During NS, when a tough exercise or event was coming up, some camp mates gather stories for the MO to obtain a light duty certification. That was considered the smart way to avoid heavy duty.

Cheers!

My experience is that sinkies are even lazier than the government makes them out to be. :rolleyes:

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Yes. Students do that in summer. Am sure not easy for tourists to do that.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes. Students do that in summer. Am sure not easy for tourists to do that.

After the global financial crisis, there are too many people wanting to pick fruits. Not enough jobs for them.
It is hard work and usually, you will see Koreans, Taiwanese on working holiday visas doing the job. But they can only be with the same employers for six months max.
Everything is well-organised, with the motel owners providing both the accomodation and employment.
There are migrants who prefer this type of jobs too. They are paid more by farmers & employers who wants to be able to called on the same people to do the work.

Some people love this adventure and they returned for more.

German backpacker Stefanie Wiedenroth, 22, dies in RPH after lightning strike by: Phil Hickey and AAP •From: PerthNow •March 25, 2014 8:51AM 10
208524-a80fd516-b1a7-11e3-8ffb-bdc84c71056c.jpg

A GERMAN backpacker who was struck by lightning in rural Western Australia has died in Royal Perth Hospital.
Stefanie Wiedenroth, 22, was working for a sheep crutching contractor near Bruce Rock, in the Eastern Wheatbelt region, when she was hit on Friday morning.

Ms Wiedenroth had been in a critical condition at Royal Perth Hospital since she was struck.

It is understood her parents flew from Germany to Perth on the weekend to be at her bedside.

Four other people standing close to Ms Wiedenroth when the lightning hit were also reportedly thrown to the ground but were not seriously injured.

WorkSafe is conducting an investigation.

Her fellow workers performed CPR on her before taking her to hospital.

She was taken to Bruce Rock Hospital and later flown to Royal Perth Hospital by the Royal Flying Doctor Service

Her parents arrived from Germany to be at her bedside over the weekend.

The 22-year-old’s employer Darren Major said he was standing about 25m away from Ms Wiedenroth went down.

“We were getting ready to work and Stefanie was walking around in a paddock getting ready,” he said.

“Right above us it was basically blue skies but just off to the west of us there were clouds brewing but nothing to be concerned about; it was basically just a normal day.

“It was just a freak lightning strike, that’s the only way I can describe it.”

Mr Major said four other people standing close to Ms Wiedenroth at the time the lightning hit were also thrown to the ground but weren’t seriously injured.

“I was next to a truck and a spark jumped from the truck to my side, about a two to three inch spark,” he said.

“I didn’t get pushed over but it certainly made me jump — the right side of my ribs are sore and it just feels like somebody has punched me in the back of the head on the left hand side.”

A lightning storm between Merredin and Bruce Rock taken by Western Power Linesman Ryan Ash. Source: Supplied

Shortly after Ms Wiedenroth was hit, Merredin local Ryan Ash photographed the imposing storm in the region.

It is believed this was Ms Wiedenroth’s second solo backpacking trip to Australia and her second trip to Muntadgin in the WA Wheatbelt.

Mr Major said Ms Wiedenroth had many friends in the tight-knit community and was well-liked.

“She’s full of energy, really enjoyed the country lifestyle. She said it was a totally different experience from Germany,” he said.

Last edited:

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
After the global financial crisis, there are too many people wanting to pick fruits. Not enough jobs for them.
It is hard work and usually, you will see Koreans, Taiwanese on working holiday visas doing the job.
There are migrants who prefer this type of jobs too. They are paid more by farmers & employers who wants to be able to called on the same people to do the work.

Working hol visa? Not aware of this category.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Working hol visa? Not aware of this category.

This is one thing which Singaporeans missed out.
Singapore withdraw from this Working Holidays visa, probably due to NS.

I just had a young Taiwanese woman who graduated and worked for a few years and got sick of low pay boring job and decided to use her Working Holidays visa before the opportunity expire due to age.

Now, she get to experience living and working in Australia for a year. A good break from routine.

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/

The Working Holiday and Work and Holiday programs encourage cultural exchange and closer ties between arrangement countries by allowing young people to have an extended holiday supplemented by short-term employment.

Australia has reciprocal working holiday visa programs with many countries. All countries have the same basic requirements. However, there are a few extra requirements if you want to have an extended working holiday in Argentina, Bangladesh, Chile, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Turkey, the USA or Uruguay. You should contact your nearest foreign mission of the country you want to travel to for full details about application requirements.

Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417)
For people from Belgium, Canada, Republic of Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Republic of Ireland, Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Taiwan and United Kingdom.

Work and Holiday Visa (Subclass 462)
Information for applicants from Argentina, Bangladesh, Chile, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Turkey, the USA and Uruguay, on holiday and work visas in Australia.

This is an example of a company offering packages.
http://globalworkandtravel.com.au/n...holiday visa&gclid=CL6imOaIrb0CFVADvAodbrsAZw

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is one thing which Singaporeans missed out.
Singapore withdraw from this Working Holidays visa, probably due to NS.

I just had a young Taiwanese woman who graduated and worked for a few years and got sick of low pay boring job and decided to use her Working Holidays visa before the opportunity expire due to age.

Now, she get to experience living and working in Australia for a year. A good break from routine.

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/

The Working Holiday and Work and Holiday programs encourage cultural exchange and closer ties between arrangement countries by allowing young people to have an extended holiday supplemented by short-term employment.

Australia has reciprocal working holiday visa programs with many countries. All countries have the same basic requirements. However, there are a few extra requirements if you want to have an extended working holiday in Argentina, Bangladesh, Chile, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Turkey, the USA or Uruguay. You should contact your nearest foreign mission of the country you want to travel to for full details about application requirements.

For people from Belgium, Canada, Republic of Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Republic of Ireland, Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Taiwan and United Kingdom.

Work and Holiday Visa (Subclass 462)
Information for applicants from Argentina, Bangladesh, Chile, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Turkey, the USA and Uruguay, on holiday and work visas in Australia.

This is an example of a company offering packages.
http://globalworkandtravel.com.au/n...holiday visa&gclid=CL6imOaIrb0CFVADvAodbrsAZw

Thanks bro. Very informative. Dont suppose they welcome old folks.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thanks bro. Very informative. Dont suppose they welcome old folks.

Visa Summary Requirements
You might be able to get this visa if you:

•are at least 18 but not yet 31 years of age
•do not have a dependent child accompanying you at any time during your stay in Australia
•have a passport from an eligible country.

This visa allows you to:

•stay in Australia for up to 12 months
•work in Australia for up to six months with each employer
•study for up to four months
•leave and re-enter Australia any number of times while the visa is valid.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Visa Summary Requirements
You might be able to get this visa if you:

•are at least 18 but not yet 31 years of age
•do not have a dependent child accompanying you at any time during your stay in Australia
•have a passport from an eligible country.

This visa allows you to:

•stay in Australia for up to 12 months
•work in Australia for up to six months with each employer
•study for up to four months
•leave and re-enter Australia any number of times while the visa is valid.

Thanks. Exceeded age limit by almost 30 yrs!