• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singaporeans waste more than 703,000 tonnes of food

Suspicion

Alfrescian
Loyal

SoShiok | Thu Apr 18 2013

23751.jpg

This works out to about 132kg of food waste annually per individual in Singapore.

Singapore, April 18, 2013

Singaporeans wasted more than 703 thousand tonnes of food last year, according to statistics released at the end of March 2013.

The annual waste and recycling statistics from the National Environment Agency showed that Singaporeans produced close to 7.3 million tonnes of general waste in 2012, with an average recycling rate of 60 per cent.

Of the total amount of waste, food waste constituted about 9.67 per cent.

According to My Paper, this averages to about 132kg of food wasted per individual, 2kg more than the previous year.

Although the amount of food waste recycled is on the climb at 12 per cent, the NEA hopes to achieve a targeted 40 per cent recycling rate for food waste by 2030.

How they recycle:

Hotel Intercontinental: About 600kg of leftovers are collected each day. They use high tech machinery to sort through the waste and convert recyclable waste into water. 600 kg of waste can fill up to two bathtubs' worth of water.

Sakae Sushi: In the central kitchen, a machine is able to sort and process food waste into fertiliser and chicken feed. This is then sold to farmers in Malaysia. The company saves about $300,000 annually through waste recycling.

Refinery Concepts: The chef will mix together leftover tomato skins, pectin and sugar to produce chewy sweets.

Unilever Food Solutions: Watermelon skins and sugar syrup are boiled together to become a cold dish.

How to reduce food wastage:

(Source: Makanmantra.com)

1. Opt for a smaller serving size
2. Finish what is on your plate first before ordering more
3. Don't be embarrassed to pack leftover food home
4. Ask the waiter about the ingredients in a dish before ordering
5. Replace or remove ingredients that you don't or can't eat
6. Try to finish the side dishes
7. Eat slowly. The human brain takes 20 minutes to register that you are full
8. Spread the message to friends and family

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Singaporeans wasted more than 703 thousand tonnes of food last year, according to statistics released at the end of March 2013.

what me detest is the amount of wastage at buffet tables... just take what you need...

Capano2121

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is this a subtle warning that they will increase the GST soon? Should be as they can take it that sinkies can waste means can afford to pay more so they won't waste & since already accustomed to paying more can afford to pay more GST lah!

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
How do they know really know how much food is really wasted:confused:

What I've observed is that when I eat out, the portions have shrunk that I'm still hungry after the meal:(

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Not surprised. Eating is the Number One obsession in Singapore. A national pastime. An affluent society. Not much else to do during leisure hours, eat lah! Look at the amount of media space given to culinary features and ads in the newspapers and TV, the promotions, what do you expect?

Cheers!

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not surprised. Eating is the Number One obsession in Singapore. A national pastime. An affluent society. Not much else to do during leisure hours, eat lah! Look at the amount of media space given to culinary features and ads in the newspapers and TV, the promotions, what do you expect?

Cheers!

That's more likely because the food industry in Spore is big business. For Media corp those makan shows are cheap to produce requiring minimal expenditure & talent. Why even Gurmit Singh can can do it:biggrin:

jw5

Loyal
what me detest is the amount of wastage at buffet tables... just take what you need...

Not only food wastage at buffets but any type of significant wastage at hawker centres, food courts, coffee shops or restaurants make me angry.

Spoilt brats brought up by boh teng yong parents.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Most Singaporeans waste a lot more than just food. They waste their whole lives.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Not only food wastage at buffets but any type of significant wastage at hawker centres, food courts, coffee shops or restaurants make me angry.

what eludes me is the need for the diners to over order... :o:o:o

jw5

Loyal
what eludes me is the need for the diners to over order... :o:o:o

It's mainly because the spoilt brats (or sometimes the spoilt gcb princesses ) change their minds and the parents (or gongkia bf) concede to their every whim and fancy................ :(

You very rarely see a group of NSF guys or a group of drinking buddies wasting food.....................