• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singaporean driving Malaysian registered vehicle not welcomed home?

bic_cherry

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singaporean driving Malaysian registered vehicle not welcomed home?
The Straits Times, Published on Nov 05, 2013
A case of double standards?
SINGAPORE has managed its traffic situation by controlling car usage through the Electronic Road Pricing (ERP) system.
Instead of raising the entry fee for foreign cars ("Raise entry fee for foreign cars" by Mr Patrick Loh; last Thursday), it may be fairer to charge a higher ERP rate for foreign-registered vehicles, so as not to disadvantage the foreigners who may be visiting their Singapore friends or relatives, but use the public transport system when travelling within the country.
What irks me more is the Land Transport Authority's policy barring the use of foreign-registered vehicles by retired Singaporeans or Singapore permanent residents living in Malaysia.
Why should these people not get to enjoy the privilege of driving a Malaysia-registered vehicle in Singapore, just like Singaporeans working in Malaysia and Malaysians?
Colin Loh
Copyright © 2013 Singapore Press Holdings. All rights reserved.
http://www.straitstimes.com/premium/forum-letters/story/case-double-standards-20131105
Why? So that all Singaporeans MUST abide by the PAP's 3/4 tank rule- but Malaysians are exempt? Or is gov AFRAID that the COE scheme will become less profitable if more Singaporeans decided to own Malaysian registered cars and just paid the $20/day causeway toll/entry fees?

Tags: COE, ERP, motor, taxes, Singapore, road, Malaysian, registered, petrol, 3/4tank rule,

bic_cherry

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singporeans- ranked second to Malaysians on Singapore soil!

Further clarification from another site:
'ST forum: My point: Raise entry fee for foreign cars'

kooldog59 said:
Just My View...
I think the problem is that our government may not be able to accept the consequence...Afterall, they are making a lot of money from the Malaysians in other ways, and as far as they are concerned, I think what the average Singaporeans feels means very little to them. Only affects their pockets matters...

Hi KD, actually I was more concerned about 'Singaporean driving Malaysian registered vehicle not welcomed home?', the current OP was just a reference by the latter ST forum letter- of which I agree that it is a blatant prejudice against Singaporeans living in JB by NOT allowing them to return to Singapore driving a Malaysian car. This is indeed direct prostitution to Malaysians and symbolism that the entry levies and day use taxes for Malaysian cars in Singapore are inequitable. It remains sad that a Singaporean retiree is prejudiced against and receives 3rd class citizen rights by his own country. There is no logic for Singaporeans to be disallowed from driving cars of ANY nationality in singapore unless there are strong reasons such as the environment that the govt can defend itself with, none of which I can imagine based on the porous entry rights granted to Malaysian plate cars. As such, I can only surmise that this stupid prejudice is premises upon the SG govt's desire to earn $ from COE license fees and a blatant admission that the current Malaysian plate entry permits are either underpriced or else that Malaysians have greater rights to drive in Singapore rather than Singaporeans themselves- that I think is sad precedence and a sad day for all Singporeans- to be ranked second to Malaysians on their very own land.