• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious [ Singapore News ] Singaporeans Beware of Mustafa Centre Run By Indians : Mustafa Centre Violation of Employment of Foreign Manpower Act

grandtour

Alfrescian
Loyal
https://www.theonlinecitizen.com/20...lation-of-employment-of-foreign-manpower-act/
https://www.theonlinecitizen.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/00000_8.mp4?_=1
mustafa.jpg

Photo by Trong Nguyen/Shutterstock.com

Mustafa Centre investigated for alleged violation of Employment of Foreign Manpower Act

Published on 2018-08-03 by Danisha Hakeem

The Online Citizen understands that complaints have been made against the renowned Mustafa Centre to the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) for collecting "cash back" from its workers and terminating their contract without valid reasons.

The company is being investigated for allegedly violating the Employment of Foreign Manpower Act 1990.

Several former foreign workers have come out with their testimonies regarding the salary issue, after non-renewal of their employment contracts and termination of service due to them having to file complaints with MOM.

Mr Abdul Haq Siddique, a former Senior Sales Executive at the jewellery department at Mustafa Centre, said that he had observed the "cash back" practice taking place from the moment he received "the very first salary". He expressed shock and disbelief over Mr Ghouse, the Human Resources (HR) Manager's instruction to return part of their salaries as a form of "cash back" without good reason.

This led him to making a query to Mr Mustaq Ahmad, a shareholder and director of Mohamed Mustafa & Samsuddin Company Pte Ltd (MMSCPL) that owns Mustafa Centre. Mr Mustaq allegedly responded by saying "What he [Mr Ghouse] asks [you to do], you follow".

"Every month, when I got my salary (as declared in MOM application) in my bank account, Mr Ghouse and sometimes Ms Nafisah [the HR Assistant] asked me to bring the cash back amount to him."

"I used to bring the cash back amount by withdrawing [money] using my OCBC ATM card and giving to Mr Ghouse, or to Ms Nafisah in the absence of Mr Ghouse."

"The cash back amount was S$600 to S$1000 every month, depending if I worked on my off day," said Mr Abdul.

Mr Abdul said that he was not the only one who had to pay the "cash back".

He added: "I had been paying the cash back until October 2017 when the HR department stopped taking cash back due to the Mustafa families' legal dispute." It was alleged that only the salaries of the family members of Mr Mustafa and that of Mr Samsuddin working for the company were exempt from the "cash back" practice.

Videos taken in secrecy by the former employees were shared with TOC, showing how the HR department collected the "cash back" from the employees and documented the amount "owed" by the workers to the company.

https://www.theonlinecitizen.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/00000_8.mp4?_=1

In a civil suit against Mr Mustaq and his family, Mustafa's second family, led by Mr Ayaz Ahmed, who is one of Mr Mustaq's three half-brothers, made the allegation of Mr Mustaq's involvement in the false declaration of Mustafa Centre's foreign workers' salaries as a part of their pleadings:

Over the years, the 1st Defendant [Mr Mustaq] caused MMSCPL to overstate the salaries of its employees in its applications for their work passes. They plead that the difference between the “declared salaries” and the actual salaries of the workers was collected from the workers each month and passed to the 1st Defendant, who kept them for his own benefit.​
The civil suit claims that Mr Mustaq had "diluted the interests" of his step-family as the "beneficiaries of the Mustafa estate" through "two share allotments" that have increased Mr Mustaq's stake in the company.

All of the former workers TOC spoke to suggested that the alleged cash back practice, as highlighted by Mr Ayaz in the civil suit, was the reason why the practice of "cash back" collection was ceased.

However, the joy of not having to pass the excess cash back to the company was short-lived, as S-Pass employees were informed via a piece of orange-colored A4 sized notice letter pasted in the office, that there will be no more renewals of S-Passes for workers holding the pass.

Mr Abdul Siddique said, "On 28 May this year, the S-Pass holders working for the Mustafa company were told that their passes will not be renewed, as their manpower costs for S-Pass holders have increased due to the cessation of cash back collections."

He added: "After that, I wrote an email to the top management, as well as to Mr Mustaq, regarding the non-renewal of [our] S-Passes."

"To date, they did not reply to the email I sent," he said.

Another former employee of Mustafa, Mr Gopal also confirmed Mr Abdul Siddique's experience in seeking clarification regarding the non-renewal notice regarding their S-Passes:

We went to our General Manager and asked him [for] his advice, and we came to the point of sending our request through email to the top management, which includes all the board of directors and bosses, informing them about how we got trapped for the cash back scam and about the ongoing problems related to the non-renewal of S-pass holder.​

I sent my email on 30 May 2018, expecting a reply from them or assurance from them about renewal of S pass. Instead, we (a colleague and I) got terminated without any reason.​
When asked if he has heard anything from F&B staff regarding the renewal of the S-Passes of workers who support the company in giving false testimonies to MOM, Mr Abdul Siddique said: "They are giving lollipops . . . [It is as though they are telling the workers that] If you do not speak the truth, I will give you [S-Pass] renewals.”

He hopes to achieve "justice" from his predicament, and appeals to his "friends [who are currently still] working in Mustafa” to "please come and speak the truth”.

“Don't be afraid of these people . . . They have been suppressing us for so many years,” he said as a message to his former colleagues.

He also urged "the people of Singapore to stand for justice too", adding that he believes that MOM will conduct a fair inquiry on the matter.

"This [the cash back practice] is a matter of fraud ... by a large company in Singapore ... [There is also the] violation of income tax department [by the alleged tax evasion] ... Illegally collecting money, laundering money ... No one knows where the money goes to," he lamented.

According to Mr Abdul, there are about 100 S-pass employees at Mustafa Centre who are facing the same situation.

When asked who will replace the employees if their S-Passes are not renewed, the former employees shared that there are plans to hire Malaysians to replace those whose employment has been terminated.

As the S-Pass status of Mr Abdul Siddique and other former employees have either expired or been terminated, they are currently issued with Special Passes issued by MOM to assist in the investigation. While they are allowed to seek alternative employment during the investigation, which would take months if not years, MOM noted to them that they can only take jobs in the construction industry as they are Indian nationals.

When queried by TOC on the claims made by former employees of Mustafa Centre, MOM replied: "MOM has received complaints that Mohammed Mustafa & Samsuddin Co. Pte Ltd may have infringed the Employment of Foreign Manpower Act. Investigations are on-going."

TOC understands from those involved that MOM has not gone down to Mustafa to look for any documentation evidence.

According to the Employment of Foreign Manpower Act, employers who are found guilty of making a false statement or providing false information in any application or renewal of a work pass will face a fine of up to $20,000, or imprisonment for up to 2 years, or both.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Ah nehs cheating each other is a practice as old as the hills.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal

not just the KNN but very common practise by nepotism run companies esp contractors blowing up celeries of workers to be higher than the ones they employ, MOM is not unaware of such practise. to be precise, MOM is condoning such practise to support employers depressing local celeries, and sidewaying local by claiming there r high pays which locals refused to accept. it is a mass wide kleptocracy.

griffin

Alfrescian
Loyal
I avoid going to Mustafa. It is a fire-trap. The place is so cramped with goods that if a fire breaks out, shoppers will be confused to find the exits.

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
The shopping experience is notoriously bad. The air is stale, they tie your bags up w plastic cables and assume u are thieves, some of the items are missing cables, plugs etc. I actually developed rashes after returning from the shit mall.

melzp

Alfrescian
Loyal
I avoid going to Mustafa. It is a fire-trap. The place is so cramped with goods that if a fire breaks out, shoppers will be confused to find the exits.
You should get to the jewellery section and scoot off with whatever for free.

melzp

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why don't MOM send NOTICE that all whistle blowers be rewarded handsomely; at the expenses of infringed employers?

Why can't the Minister of Manpower think of this if he care for Sgreans' employment.

Reddog

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are right. After the inevitable disaster, the authorities will investigate and a report filed. Too bad for the potential dead.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

No cheating...I worry!. This was some, 40 years ago, where I worked in the Business District, there was this young Indian man ( the Mustafa type) would come to the office & sell imitation Le Corq Sportif T-shirts cheap. He would visit the office often & his sales were good. What he did, he took stocks from his father-in-law shop at the basement of Peninsular Shopping Centre & sold them cheaper. He was cheating his....so, if they don't cheat...I worry!!

grandtour

Alfrescian
Loyal
No cheating...I worry!. This was some, 40 years ago, where I worked in the Business District, there was this young Indian man ( the Mustafa type) would come to the office & sell imitation Le Corq Sportif T-shirts cheap. He would visit the office often & his sales were good. What he did, he took stocks from his father-in-law shop at the basement of Peninsular Shopping Centre & sold them cheaper. He was cheating his....so, if they don't cheat...I worry!!

Indiancobra.jpg

HBu5M5X.jpg

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I'm just surprised that so many hindus support this indian muslim enterrprise even though in principle, most indian muslims pray for the destruction of India and its Hindu culture. And now it turns out that Mustafa is accused of such shenanigans.

shittypore

Alfrescian
Loyal
MOM jolly knows this form of kick back has been going on ages since they started on scaled salary for FT working permits. If no kick back how the hell the heavy influx of Pinoys, Ah Nehs, Burmese and Vietnamese all holding SPass.

grandtour

Alfrescian
Loyal
https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/manpower/mustafa-centre-being-investigated-by-mom

Mustafa Centre being investigated by MOM

bp_mustafa_060818_20.jpg

An MOM spokesman said Mohamed Mustafa and Samsuddin Co is being investigated following several complaints against it recently. PHOTO: SHIN MIN DAILY NEWS

Published
1 hour ago
Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Email
David Sun

SINGAPORE (THE NEW PAPER) - The Ministry of Manpower (MOM) is investigating retail giant Mustafa Centre for alleged employment offences.

In a statement to The New Paper on Sunday (Aug 5), an MOM spokesman said the company is being investigated following several complaints against it recently.

"MOM has received complaints that Mohamed Mustafa and Samsuddin Co may have infringed the Employment of Foreign Manpower Act. Investigations are ongoing," said the spokesman without elaborating on complaints.

However, The New Paper understands the probe on the company, which is registered as Mohamed Mustafa and Samsuddin, is not limited to specific violations but covers offences under the entire Act.

Offences under the Act include work pass violations and receiving of kickbacks.

In a report by The Online Citizen (TOC) on Friday, a former employee alleged that Mustafa Centre's human resource (HR) department had been collecting "cashbacks" from employees.

The man, identified as Mr Abdul Haq Siddique, a senior sales executive in the store's jewellery department, was quoted as saying that after his monthly salary was deposited into his bank account, he had to go to HR to give back $600 to $1,000.

He said the amount to be returned depended on how much he earned in overtime that month.

Mr Abdul Haq, who did not disclose his basic salary, told TOC: "Every month, when I got my salary in my bank account, (the HR manager) and sometimes his assistant would ask me to bring the 'cashback' amount to him."

He said the practice stopped in October last year after the Mustafa families became embroiled in a legal dispute.

Mr Abdul Haq claimed that he was not the only worker who had to give back part of his salary and urged others like him to speak up.

"No one knows where the money goes to," he added.

Quoting Mr Abdul Haq and other ex-employees, TOC also reported that Mustafa had stopped renewing S-passes in May this year, affecting about 100 foreign employees.

MOM has issued Special Passes to affected workers so that they can remain here to assist in investigations, TOC said.

The MOM spokesman declined to comment on Mr Abdul Haq's allegations, citing the ongoing investigations.

Those convicted of kickback offences can be fined up to $30,000 and/or jailed for up to two years each charge.

Mustafa Centre is a 24-hour retail hub in Little India, selling 300,000 products across a retail space of 400,000 sq ft.

The company has also expanded to other businesses in the area, including a travel agency, hotel and restaurant.

Starting as a 900 sq ft shop in Serangoon Road in 1973, it grew to a 40,000 sq ft space in Serangoon Plaza in 1985.

Mr Mustaq Ahmad, the founder of the iconic centre and the company's managing director, was reportedly ranked 37th in Forbes magazine's list of the 40 richest people in Singapore in 2011, with a reported worth of US$240 million (S$328 million).

He was recently in the news over his stepfamily's high-stakes lawsuit against him and five others.

As directors of the company, Mr Mustaq, his wife, two children and brother-in-law were named as defendants in the suit filed by his step-siblings and their mother for alleged oppressive conduct under the Companies Act.

The defendants failed to strike out the lawsuit in the High Court last month, and the case will proceed to trial unless the assistant registrar's decision is reversed on appeal.

Topics:

grandtour

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yesterday
Indian Snake A : U give me Cashback, I give you S Pass. Promise? Deal?

Indian Snake B : Good, let's deal.

Today
Indian Snake B : No renew pass ??? I STAB u at the back !!!
Indian Snake A : MOM I am INNOCENT !!! They telling lies !!!

Never Ever Trust Indians.
Indiancobra.jpg

HBu5M5X.jpg

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm just surprised that so many hindus support this indian muslim enterrprise even though in principle, most indian muslims pray for the destruction of India and its Hindu culture. And now it turns out that Mustafa is accused of such shenanigans.

Why left out and no mention of the destruction of Babri Mosque by Hindu extemists? Talking cock and ur sure a Great Liar! If its 15yrs back i would have show u my long middle finger!