• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious [ Singapore News ] Beware of Jeffrey Law Lee Beng & Bernard Law C G Potato Family : All Singaporeans Should Be Monolingual & Speak Only English To Us

grandtour

Alfrescian
Loyal
https://www.straitstimes.com/forum/letters-in-print/use-of-english-is-vital-in-a-global-society
Use of English is vital in a global society

Published
8 hours ago
Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Email

It is good that Mr Bernard C. G. Law reminded us of the importance of using English as our official working language (Important to speak English at public service offices; Aug 21).

Oftentimes, I have much difficulty communicating with public service providers who have the notion that most Chinese like me can speak or understand Mandarin.

Whenever I visit government agencies such as a polyclinic, the Housing Board or Central Provident Fund Board, I have to respond in English when their front-line staff greet me in Mandarin, which I am unable to converse in.

As we live in a global and cosmopolitan society, it is vital for us to see English as a lingua franca not only when dealing with fellow Singaporeans, but also with foreigners and tourists.

Singapore is a preferred location for big-time investments and the many multinational companies here need English-speaking staff to operate at an international level.

Our public service providers are known for their efficiency and although friendliness can be expressed through some actions, a little conversation can also make a difference.

Given that Singapore is a multi-ethnic society, English is a language that can be used to unite Singaporeans.

Jeffrey Law Lee Beng

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on August 23, 2018, with the headline 'Use of English is vital in a global society'. Print Edition | Subscribe

https://www.straitstimes.com/forum/...nt-to-speak-english-at-public-service-offices
Important to speak English at public service offices

Published
Aug 21, 2018, 5:00 am SGT

I hope the authorities will reiterate the importance of the consistent use of English as our official working language at government agencies and public service offices.

Users of public services, such as hospitals and statutory boards, come from varied backgrounds.

Many can communicate with front-line staff only in English.

Of late, I have noticed that many of these staff, while on duty, tend to interact among themselves in their own languages.

While it is understandable that they do so when they are off duty or in the privacy of resting areas for camaraderie, it is inappropriate and, at times, even rude when they do so while serving visitors.

I have also noticed that, often, these interactions include private banter totally irrelevant to the business at hand.

These instances make them appear to be slacking off rather than working.

English, as Singapore's official working language, serves as an important bridge for our multi-ethnic population.

Any failure to speak in English at such agencies must not be allowed to take root or it will undermine our high standards of public service that many Singaporeans have become proud of.

Bernard C G Law

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on August 21, 2018, with the headline 'Important to speak English at public service offices'. Print Edition | Subscribe

grandtour

Alfrescian
Loyal
Excuse Me, Mr Jeffrey Law & Bernard Law The Potato Brothers:

Under The Constitution of the Republic of Singapore,

English Chinese Malay Tamil Are THE OFFICIAL LANGUAGES OF SINGAPORE.

Singapore Education System has also been consistently Bilingual.

All Singaporeans including Officials have every right to speak any of the Official Languages to anyone.

Even the Prime Minister is Multilingual speaking Malay, Chinese & English @ The National Day Rally every year.

A Chinese who can't understand Chinese should self-reflect instead of making a fool of himself whining on newspaper.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
human no rook like human, 4eign devil no rook like 4eign devil ... proud 2 b bananas ...