• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singapore Airline new mid budget Airline - SCOOT

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
All aircraft from SIA are relatively new. The B777 are not old aircraft if that is what is your perception. You will be surprised to know that many B747's manufactured in the 1970's are still flying and still reliable.

As for a pilot, all pilots that are qualified and licensed to fly the B777 are not by any means inferior to those from established full-service airlines. Pilots do not have Class A, B or C :biggrin:license.

SCOOT would probably be taking over the B772s bought in 1997. Yes, I agree old is relative. To me, a 15 yr old aircraft is old. To me, SCOOT's aircraft wld be older than SIA's aircraft. To me, the 772s have been well used by SIA..

Pilots go through qualifications..PPL, CPL, ATPL. All airlines pilots have ATPL...but depending on experience, some are FOs, some are SFOs, some are CAPTs.

SIA has comprehensive pilot training and currency programmes, with sectorial and simulator training and regular proficiency checks. These incur costs. Do TIGER or JETSTAR have such comprehensive training and monitoring of their pilots? will SCOOT be more like SIA or TIGER?

Last edited:

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
SCOOT will be the first to have a system whereby passengers can plug in their personal iPad. This was what I recall reading about..

they will need to pay to use the AC, i believe. Or they are trying to make use of the inflight entertainment system already existent on the planes, instead of ripping it out, they might as well milk it. But I don't think it would be AVOD.

SCOOT will have seat 1" wider than other similar airlines.

full service airline or similar long haul budget?

Not actually the case that they will be paid as per SIA pilots. SCOOT is a separate entity and thus have different company terms and conditions for employees.

I already mentioned in my earlier post that the pilots will be outsourced and will not be seconded from SIA.

ok, so savings for them and good move to avoid the union problems. however, for sure, the savings is not going to be passed to passengers.

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
2. Try to sell off old plane but no taker or asking price to high. So lan lan have to find a way to fully use it. That SCOOT

Bro...in today's business environment, aircraft now may lelong. In the past all customers of resale aircraft are keen to buy SIA secondhand as the aircraft are well maintained and in very good condition. SIA never stinge in parts replacement, do not look for cheapest supplier or take shortcuts in using old equipment. They always buy the best, and that is SIA's philosophy.

Since the market is bad for resale aircraft, it is better to hive their retired ones to SCOOT and still get the best deal for both parties. For SCOOT to buy from the resale market is not wise as they do not have the whole historical records not how well they were maintained in the past. Does that not make sense?

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bro...in today's business environment, aircraft now may lelong. In the past all customers of resale aircraft are keen to buy SIA secondhand as the aircraft are well maintained and in very good condition. SIA never stinge in parts replacement, do not look for cheapest supplier or take shortcuts in using old equipment. They always buy the best, and that is SIA's philosophy.

That's true..SIA's aircraft are very well maintained and serviced..

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Both SIA and SCOOT will suffer because same board director. They will have hard decision to make with one to cop or bigger benefit or budget.
Silkair will be stuck in between SIA and SCOOT. Now really dont understand how they manage. 1st tier 2nd and 3rd.
Like 1st class, business and economy,

silkair is basically created to feed traffic into SIA from the 2nd tier / business oriented / leisure business segments. that was before days of budget airlines enter the picture. Its more of a leisure airline.

when budget airlines enter the picture, it cause a problem for existence of Silkair - who is caught in between a full svc airline (but not premium) and budget airline. But they did survive but not exciting. But to stop it, is a risk, because you also lose the landing right. It is not transferable. And you lose precious landing rights secured in Indonesia. Until 2015, you cannot possibly secure more landing rights in Indonesia.

I think Silkair will continue to serve as feeder airline to SIA. Scoot serve different mkt - the med / long haul segment who will not take SIA otherwise, probably a cheaper full service airline. SIA is for those high heeled or those on company budget. On the leisure segment, it will suffer but i think they rather lose it through cannibalization that competition.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Since the market is bad for resale aircraft, it is better to hive their retired ones to SCOOT and still get the best deal for both parties. For SCOOT to buy from the resale market is not wise as they do not have the whole historical records not how well they were maintained in the past. Does that not make sense?

resale market is now so bad...now the sexy planes are single aisle A320 or B737.

Up to some time ago, I still see a A330 of SIA sitting on tarmac, painted all white. Think meant for SOF training?

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
SCOOT would probably be taking over the B772s bought in 1997. Yes, I agree old is relative. To me, a 15 yr old aircraft is old. To me, SCOOT's aircraft wld be older than SIA's aircraft. To me, the 772s have been well used by SIA..

Pilots go through qualifications..PPL, CPL, ATPL. All airlines pilots have ATPL...but depending on experience, some are FOs, some are SFOs, some are CAPTs.

SIA has comprehensive pilot training and currency programmes, with sectorial and simulator training and regular proficiency checks. These incur costs. Do TIGER or JETSTAR have such comprehensive training and monitoring of their pilots? will SCOOT be more like SIA or TIGER?

We need to know which are the aircraft that SCOOT is getting from SIA. I do not have the details but I will check as SIA has 50 of such aircraft. The average age of all SIA's fleet stands at 6 years four months.

SCOOT will be more like SIA as I already stated as it is a wholly-owned subsidiary. SIA only held 32% share of Tiger AIrways.

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
We need to know which are the aircraft that SCOOT is getting from SIA. I do not have the details but I will check as SIA has 50 of such aircraft. The average age of all SIA's fleet stands at 6 years four months.

SCOOT will be more like SIA as I already stated as it is a wholly-owned subsidiary. SIA only held 32% share of Tiger AIrways.

Yes, I too sense that SCOOT will be more like SIA than TIGER. But that wld mean that SCOOT's operating cost wld be more like SIA. Hopefully SCOOT will do well...an added airline is always good for air traveller

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes, I too sense that SCOOT will be more like SIA than TIGER. But that wld mean that SCOOT's operating cost wld be more like SIA. Hopefully SCOOT will do well...an added airline is always good for air traveller

SIA's cost come from: fuel , staff costs.

if Scoot, likely they will squeeze staff costs. Bcos fuel costs, they can do nothing about.

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
they will need to pay to use the AC, i believe. Or they are trying to make use of the inflight entertainment system already existent on the planes, instead of ripping it out, they might as well milk it. But I don't think it would be AVOD.

Yes passengers will need to pay.

full service airline or similar long haul budget?

For the moment the 4 in service has it. In future plans, we need to wait and see to find out.

ok, so savings for them and good move to avoid the union problems. however, for sure, the savings is not going to be passed to passengers.

The airfares already discounted which will be the savings. SCOOT has to find ways and means to save on costs in order to get their ROI.

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Up to some time ago, I still see a A330 of SIA sitting on tarmac, painted all white. Think meant for SOF training?

Bro...what is SOF?

The one on the tarmac I am not too sure but sometimes it may not even be SIA's plane. Other airlines when they want to sell their aircraft sometimes do bring to Singapore to do HM and then they paint it white before the buyer do the flight test, accept the aircraft after flight tests.

Then later they will paint the aircraft in their own livery colours.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bro...what is SOF?

The one on the tarmac I am not too sure but sometimes it may not even be SIA's plane. Other airlines when they want to sell their aircraft sometimes do bring to Singapore to do HM and then they paint it white before the buyer do the flight test, accept the aircraft after flight tests.

Then later they will paint the aircraft in their own livery colours.

special forces.

hurley

Alfrescian
Loyal
their uniform. colour is very matland....

scootuniform-1e.jpg

scootarticle-1.jpg

Last edited:

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
why the uniform like pe attire in schools?

I like the Jetstar uniform better - can show off the curves of the stewardess...Scoot? KNS, baggy and sloppy looking.