• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

[Singapore] - 16 cyclists arrested by Traffic Police & LTA for beating red light and riding against traffic flow on Apr 17 & 18

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
Spike in bicycle accidents on Singapore roads amid cycling boom last year
Cyclists on the on-road cycling lane at Tanah Merah Coast Road
File photo of a dedicated cycling lane on Tanah Merah Coast Road. (Photo: Elizabeth Neo)
Bookmark
SINGAPORE: There was an increase in the number of road traffic accidents involving bicycles last year, amid a COVID-19 inspired boom in the popularity of cycling.

There were 572 traffic accidents involving bicycles in 2020, up about 25 per cent from 459 accidents the previous year, according to figures provided by the Traffic Police.

The number of fatal accidents saw a slight drop, falling from nine in 2019 to seven in 2020.

In 2018, there were 501 accidents involving bicycles, of which 10 were fatal.

Though the figures for this year are not yet available, there have been several fatal accidents involving bicycles reported in the media.

In May, a 49-year-old woman died in a collision with a bus while cycling around the Nanyang Technological University campus.

Later that month, a 14-year-old male cyclist died after an accident with a trailer along Marina East Drive.

READ: Singapore sees cycling boom amid COVID-19, with increased ridership and bicycle sales
Mr Saktiandi Supaat, who chairs the Government Parliamentary Committee for Transport, said there were “various plausible reasons” for the spike in bicycle accidents, suggesting one reason could be an increase in the number of cyclists.

Many cities around the world, including Singapore, have seen more people taking up cycling amid the COVID-19 pandemic, with retailers reporting greater sales of bicycles and cycling accessories.

This could also mean more new cyclists with limited cycling experience and safety knowledge on the roads, said Mr Saktiandi (PAP-Bishan-Toa Payoh).

The Active Mobility Advisory Panel - which proposes regulations on the use of bicycles and personal mobility devices (PMD) in public spaces - is currently reviewing the rules surrounding cycling on the road to improve safety for both cyclists and motorists.

However, Singapore University of Social Sciences urban transport expert Park Byung Joon believes there may be no need for further regulation of bicycles.

“I think the current rules are robust enough; it is more a question of enforcement,” said Associate Professor Park.

READ: Panel to review rules on cycling on the road, registration of bicycles to be studied: Chee Hong Tat
Stricter regulations would not improve matters if the manpower and surveillance equipment needed to enforce the rules were not in place, he said.

Mr Saktiandi said he hoped any new regulations would not “curtail the exuberance of cycling for leisure and work commutes”, describing it as a fine balance that needed to be achieved.

More can be done to enhance the “sharing and safety culture” of roads and park connectors here, he believes.

“Enhancing cyclist safety awareness at point of purchase at shops or among cycling groups would be one, especially for cases when cyclists are dealing with pedestrians and motorists,” he said.

He suggested the authorities could work with apps such as Strava - an activity tracking app popular with cyclists and runners - to include safety tips and rules in Singapore.

“For motorists, maybe we could embed more situational elements in the basic and advanced theory tests as well as the practical tests on how to deal with cyclists and what cyclists are allowed to do on roads et cetera,” he said.

READ: Registration of bicycles, licensing of cyclists may not make roads safer, say observers
Observers have said on-road cycling lanes could help keep cyclists safe, though there would be trade-offs in introducing such a measure.

“The ideal solution would of course be dedicated lanes for cyclists and motorists and pedestrians, but given Singapore’s land constraints there are stretches that cannot see dedicated lanes,” said Mr Saktiandi.

Associate Professor Park said that while introducing dedicated cycling lanes would help boost safety, it would also require significant investments in infrastructure.

He suggested that registration of bicycles could help improve safety, as it would be easier to identify errant cyclists.

porcaputtana

Alfrescian
Loyal
Spike in bicycle accidents on Singapore roads amid cycling boom last year
Cyclists on the on-road cycling lane at Tanah Merah Coast Road
File photo of a dedicated cycling lane on Tanah Merah Coast Road. (Photo: Elizabeth Neo)
Bookmark
SINGAPORE: There was an increase in the number of road traffic accidents involving bicycles last year, amid a COVID-19 inspired boom in the popularity of cycling.

There were 572 traffic accidents involving bicycles in 2020, up about 25 per cent from 459 accidents the previous year, according to figures provided by the Traffic Police.

The number of fatal accidents saw a slight drop, falling from nine in 2019 to seven in 2020.

In 2018, there were 501 accidents involving bicycles, of which 10 were fatal.

Though the figures for this year are not yet available, there have been several fatal accidents involving bicycles reported in the media.

In May, a 49-year-old woman died in a collision with a bus while cycling around the Nanyang Technological University campus.

Later that month, a 14-year-old male cyclist died after an accident with a trailer along Marina East Drive.

READ: Singapore sees cycling boom amid COVID-19, with increased ridership and bicycle sales
Mr Saktiandi Supaat, who chairs the Government Parliamentary Committee for Transport, said there were “various plausible reasons” for the spike in bicycle accidents, suggesting one reason could be an increase in the number of cyclists.

Many cities around the world, including Singapore, have seen more people taking up cycling amid the COVID-19 pandemic, with retailers reporting greater sales of bicycles and cycling accessories.

This could also mean more new cyclists with limited cycling experience and safety knowledge on the roads, said Mr Saktiandi (PAP-Bishan-Toa Payoh).

The Active Mobility Advisory Panel - which proposes regulations on the use of bicycles and personal mobility devices (PMD) in public spaces - is currently reviewing the rules surrounding cycling on the road to improve safety for both cyclists and motorists.

However, Singapore University of Social Sciences urban transport expert Park Byung Joon believes there may be no need for further regulation of bicycles.

“I think the current rules are robust enough; it is more a question of enforcement,” said Associate Professor Park.

READ: Panel to review rules on cycling on the road, registration of bicycles to be studied: Chee Hong Tat
Stricter regulations would not improve matters if the manpower and surveillance equipment needed to enforce the rules were not in place, he said.

Mr Saktiandi said he hoped any new regulations would not “curtail the exuberance of cycling for leisure and work commutes”, describing it as a fine balance that needed to be achieved.

More can be done to enhance the “sharing and safety culture” of roads and park connectors here, he believes.

“Enhancing cyclist safety awareness at point of purchase at shops or among cycling groups would be one, especially for cases when cyclists are dealing with pedestrians and motorists,” he said.

He suggested the authorities could work with apps such as Strava - an activity tracking app popular with cyclists and runners - to include safety tips and rules in Singapore.

“For motorists, maybe we could embed more situational elements in the basic and advanced theory tests as well as the practical tests on how to deal with cyclists and what cyclists are allowed to do on roads et cetera,” he said.

READ: Registration of bicycles, licensing of cyclists may not make roads safer, say observers
Observers have said on-road cycling lanes could help keep cyclists safe, though there would be trade-offs in introducing such a measure.

“The ideal solution would of course be dedicated lanes for cyclists and motorists and pedestrians, but given Singapore’s land constraints there are stretches that cannot see dedicated lanes,” said Mr Saktiandi.

Associate Professor Park said that while introducing dedicated cycling lanes would help boost safety, it would also require significant investments in infrastructure.

He suggested that registration of bicycles could help improve safety, as it would be easier to identify errant cyclists.
Errr ... which motorist got killed ?

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
Errr ... which motorist got killed ?
Which pedestrian got killed by cyclists?

Netizens question S’pore judiciary system: One-week jail for cyclist for causing death of a pedestrian after a collision, but 20-days jail for an e-scooter rider who injuring LTA officer from the crash? - The Online Citizen Asia
by S.Ling
11/12/2020
Reading Time: 6 mins read
A Finnish cyclist was sentenced to one week’s jail after he collided into a 53-year-old pedestrian, causing his death.

The cyclist, Toni Timo Salminen, 42, was handed down the sentence on Thursday (10 December) after he pleaded guilty to causing the death of Chew Fook Yew by a negligent act.

According to the court documents, the fatal collision took place near the junction of Sims Avenue and Lorong 33 Geylang on 1 October last year at around 6.18pm, as reported by Mothership.sg.

It noted that Mr Salminen was cycling on the second lane from the right of the four-road lane along Sims Avenue while Mr Chew was standing on the footpath on the left side of Sims Avenue and stepped onto the left-most lane to cross the road.

Mr Salminen was about 40 to 50 metres away from Mr Chew when he noticed Mr Chew step onto the road.

As he saw Mr Chew “walking briskly” onto the third lane from the right, he did not brake to slow down at that point.

Continuing to cycle forward, Mr Salminen said he failed to notice that Mr Chew was walking into the lane where he was cycling and when he saw Mr Chew was on the second lane, he rang his bell and jammed his brakes, causing Mr Chew to turn towards him.

Mr Salminen, however, could not stop the bicycle in time and collided into Mr Chew, who fell backwards onto the road while Mr Salminen flung off his bicycle and onto the road.

After the collision, Mr Salminen attended to Mr Chew who was lying motionless on the road and waited until the ambulance arrived before leaving the scene.

He then filed a police report on the accident at 7.08 pm that day.

Mr Chew suffered from head injuries due to the collision and was pronounced dead on 6 Oct last year.

Deputy Public Prosecutor Rimplejit Kaur asked for a sentence of at least three weeks’ jail term, noting that Mr Salminen had “an unobstructed view” of the entire process of Mr Chew crossing the road.

Noting that the deceased was not “jaywalking”, the prosecutor said: “This is not a case where the deceased suddenly dashed onto the road, suddenly appeared onto the road from an obscured position, suddenly stopped while crossing the road, suddenly turned back while crossing the road, hesitated or lingered while crossing the road or suddenly bent down to pick up something while crossing the road.”

Adding to that, the accused did not brake to slow down until the deceased was already in his lane despite that he admitted that he saw Mr Chew on the road.

Meanwhile, the defence counsel asked for a S$6,000 fine and a disqualification period, reasoning that Mr Salminen was trying to avoid another pedestrian standing in the first lane and there was also a vehicle to his left, as reported by TODAY online.

He added that Mr Salminen has since been diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder, anxiety and depression, and has not ridden a bicycle since the accident.

Giving his judgement for the case, District Judge Christopher Goh said that by reviewing over 240 cases of causing death by a negligent act, fines were imposed in only eight per cent of them, where most of the deceased are significantly contributing to their own deaths and the accused caused the deaths of their loved ones or friends.

The judge also found no significant contributory negligence on the deceased’s part, hence a custodial sentence was warranted.

“While I can understand that a cyclist would be more inclined to concentrate on the road ahead by the nature of riding a bicycle, nonetheless, it cannot be an excuse of not keeping a proper lookout for other road users, including and, in particular, pedestrians,” the judge noted.

He continued, “I’m sure this will be on your mind for a very long time. What is done is done.”

For offences of causing death by a negligent act, Mr Salminen could face a maximum penalty of a fine and jail for up to two years or both.

Another man was jailed 20 days for crashing e-scooter into two LTA officer
Separately, a 41-year-old man was jailed for 20 days for crashing his e-scooter into a Land Transport Authority (LTA) officers at high speed.

It was reported by TODAY online that the offender failed to heed the instructions of two LTA officers who asked him to stop from riding his non-compliant e-scooter, and then rode his 31.4kg e-scooter at high speed towards one officer, causing the officer flung to the ground several metres away.

Aanother officer’s wrist was knocked by the handlebar of e-scooter when he attempted to hold on to the e-scooter but was pushed away by the offender forcibly.

The offender has pleaded guilty to one charge each of committing a rash act that endangered personal safety or lives, and riding a non-compliant personal mobility device.

Netizens’ reaction
Penning their comments on the Facebook page of Mothership.sg, The New Paper and TODAY -– who covered the news –- the netizens voiced disappointment with the sentence given to the cyclist who caused the death of a man.

They said that compared to the e-scooter rider who injuring an officer and was jailed 20 days, the one-week of jail was too light for causing death.

Some even alleged whether there is a different treatment in giving out the sentence between foreigners and locals.

Many netizens also criticised Singapore’s judiciary system for handing down what they viewed as an “unjustified” and “light punishment” – one-week jail – to the accused who caused the death of a man.

“1 death = 1-week jail. I seriously think there are flaws in our law…” a netizen wrote.

Some netizens called for the authorities to impose heavy punishment on cyclists who act “recklessly” on the road to deter more from causing the loss of lives.

Share this:

LordElrond

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
You have the logic of a porcelain garden gnome.

did u even finish school? At least PSLE perhaps ?
Might be related to some childhood trauma. He seems extremely traumatised by cyclists equating cyclists to terrorists. According to him cyclists destroy lives. Give him a break.

porcaputtana

Alfrescian
Loyal
Might be related to some childhood trauma. He seems extremely traumatised by cyclists equating cyclists to terrorists. According to him cyclists destroy lives. Give him a break.
Maybe he did hit a cyclist before and spent months in prison sucking dicks for scraps of food. No one comes out of that unscathed. :laugh:

LordElrond

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Maybe he did hit a cyclist before and spent months in prison sucking dicks for scraps of food. No one comes out of that unscathed. :laugh:
Either way his mouth and brain has suffered serious trauma as his ability to rationalised seems seriously impaired. His only remaining ability is pasting chunks of lengthy Straits Times articles. Poor thing.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
IMG_F9AB4A1A389C-1.jpeg

Does not look right to me. Shouldn't Taiwan feature somewhere?

porcaputtana

Alfrescian
Loyal
More importantly … what’s the consensus on rim vs disc brakes ?

New Pina and Dura Ace coming and I plan to spend some money since I am not paying a $5600 fine for punching some idiot motorist‘s fuck face.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

New Pina and Dura Ace coming and I plan to spend some money since I am not paying a $5600 fine for punching some idiot motorist‘s fuck face.

Disc brakes are more complicated. You cannot just swap wheels from one bike to the next. However in the rain they're a godsend because I'm sure you know the feeling when you ride rim brakes in the rain and when you hit the brakes nothing happens for 2 to 3 seconds.

However I hardly ever ride in the rain so I'm sticking to rim brakes.

LordElrond

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

I have a disc Cannondale. Will buy a second bike rim Pina F16 when the time comes. F14 too little change. One rim + one disc bike avoids having the debate.

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cyclists sure are crazy ppl... attacking the neighbour? Just like the way they ride their bikes.
47 y/o man allegedly attacked by neighbour with bike chain for placing bicycle by the corridor - The Online Citizen Asia
47 y/o man allegedly attacked by neighbour with bike chain for placing bicycle by the corridor
A Singaporean man, who goes by the moniker Alex Tohsw, encountered “a horrifying experience” on Sunday (13 June) when his neighbour allegedly attacked him from behind with a bicycle chain attached to a lock pad, while he was cleaning the window panel outside his house.

He first posted about the incident on the Complaint Singapore Facebook group, which has now garnered about 1.9k shares and 1.4k likes.

Mr Alex wrote that he was cleaning the window panel outside his house while standing on a metal ladder, when his neighbour suddenly attacked him from behind with a bicycle chain, which was attached to a lock pad.

“He claimed that I was blocking his path to go back home just because I placed his bicycle by the walkway,” he noted.

Mr Alex also alleged that the neighbour hit him twice on the head and shoulder with the bicycle chain.

“I shouted for help as my head was bleeding profusely and I was in severe pain. My 2 kids were in the living room and were startled to see me covered in blood,” he added.

Mr Alex noted that his other neighbour intervened and quickly stopped the assailant from attacking him.

“My helpful neighbour lay me down as I was feeling unconscious but I was very worried for the safety of my 2 kids as the main door was unlocked. Thankfully my helpful neighbour was keeping an eye on the assailant,” he noted.

Following the incident, the police told Mothership that a 65-year-old man has been arrested for “voluntarily causing hurt with a dangerous weapon” and it is currently under police investigation.

The police said it was alerted about the incident at 10.26am on Saturday at Block 130 Ang Mo Kio Avenue 3.

“A 47-year-old man had sustained a laceration on his head, and was conscious when conveyed to the hospital,” it noted.

Netizens question what triggered the neighbour to attack Mr Alex
While many netizens expressed their wishes for Mr Alex’s speedy recovery under the comment section of his post, several Facebook users seem to question the assailant’s side of the story and what triggered him to assault Mr Alex in the first place.

One netizen wrote: “No sane man wanna attack another without a reason…waiting to hear the neighbour’s side of the story….”

However, many netizens pointed out that the neighbour should not use violence against Mr Alex nonetheless, as causing injury to others is wrong unless if it was for self-defence.

“Whether he is only telling one side of the story doesn’t matter, as I can’t imagine a situation in which a physical attack is justifiable, unless in self-defence,” said one netizen.

Share this: