• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

SIA pilots urged by union to boycott dinner

Spock

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Man

I am a shareholder and I would hate to see SQ getting screwed by a bunch of smart ass pilots. Mandatory retirement age of 62 or 65 for airline pilots means basically that RETIREMENT and fucking off. In the US when a pilot is fucking retired he fucking retires and does not come back wether at 60 or 65/

The fact is rehiring a pilot wether at 60 62 65 is a favor and a nice to have from management not a given. If they do not like the conditions then they should just not work.

Locke

I thought it was SIA that wanted to rehire them but at a much lower pay? Right now, there is no obligation for SIA to rehire them and they can certainly retire for good if they think they are underpaid. The question is also about whether the rehiring agreement extends beyond 2012.

The fact that you are a shareholder makes you a biased observer.

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Black

Firstly I believe the fight to be unjustified. The rules are rules, I mean the fact that it is unlucky for those who turned 62 in 2011 and in 2012 the retirement age increases to 65 with SQ following in all probability. They are just well plain unfortunate and if SQ choses to hire them back at a lower rate its a willing seller willing buyer market. Retirement is Retirement.

Locke

Last edited:

Spock

Alfrescian
Loyal
if SQ choses to hire them back at a lower rate its a willing seller willing buyer market.

Hello, if it is really SIA's choice, I don't think the union would be fighting their guts out on this. More likely that SIA is very keen to rehire the old pilots but also wants to drastically reduce their pay at the same time.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
most of the customers of SIA are:

a) foreigners flying into Singapore. Its the rule of the airlines...the fares always cost more expensive flying out of the carrier's home country, where they are the major player. So Singapore-India-Singapore is always cheaper than India-Singapore-India on SIA. Applies for all airlines.

This is caused by the protected nature of the industry.

b) flying on company's account. For duty travel, most companies use SIA. If you are the employee of the company, why would u not fly SIA?

I doubt SIA will fall into the re-hiring act to be in force. They are already long time out of it. Already their retirement age don't apply to the stewardess...unlike flying aunties that you see on other airlines, you won't see many of them in blue kebayas...only a handful in red, rarely in brown.

Of the unions in SIA, the pilot union is the strongest and the rest of the unions look to them for their Collective Agreements. Really its the training that goes into making a pilot that makes their pay so high. Nowadays one can land a A380 on autopilot if one chooses to.

In a certain sense, a pilot is no different to a MRT train driver. The only difference is that, if there is an accident, the stakes are higher - more high value passengers in first and business class and in the air, something happens, chances of survival is slim.

Other than that, there are no strong reasons. I think the management recognise this, and not for the first time, they always throw in new things during the CA negotiations. From scrapping allocated first class seats for non-flying pilots to reduced allowance...

Actually the incentive for the pilots to switch is high but not many actually do it. I heard alot once wanted to go over to Middle East as Emirates is expanding - but the overall package is not big enough. Yes, these airlines (China and Middle East - these are the only airlines hiring actually) pay higher, but other factors - eg: exchange rate of the US dollar, etc makes it not so attractive.

LKY once said, Singapore don't need an airline, he can practically come in and sack the entire lot of pilots and start a new airline. Lets see if the latest spat ends up with a visit to Istana.:biggrin:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
LKY once said, Singapore don't need an airline, he can practically come in and sack the entire lot of pilots and start a new airline. Lets see if the latest spat ends up with a visit to Istana.:biggrin:

I dare him to sack everyone in SIA & wind up the company. To us lesser mortals we won't suffer.

SIA is supporting many PAP loyalists. So too are other less profitable GLCs. LKY likes to go on his global jaunts to preach, if it wasn't for SIA he would have to fly commercial with the other "lesser mortals":smile:

Which other carrier would willingly send a special plane to pick up a sick "relative":confused: There is also the day when the Lee clan will have to leave Spore in a hurry. You think they'll fly economy :eek:

In his threat about SIA I think LKY is just posturing, all bluff & bluster:rolleyes:

maxpower

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bottom line: They will scarifice the airline but not the airport.

Can start a new airline anytime.Look at Eithad,Gulf,Qatar,Emerites all using ex Sq 'expertise' -soon will overtake all of us.

Qatar -with their Super jumbos, building an Air hub to handle 50mil pax.
Already can by-pass Singapore!.

What is SQ future?

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bottom line: They will scarifice the airline but not the airport.
hahaha...yes, waiting for this to come up from somebody with helicoptor view.
Importance of SQ cannot be compared with importance of Changi as airhub status.
Those who think Singapore cannot do without SQ are sadly mistaken.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
When the newly built MRT was weeks way from running their first train, the few of the newly trained drivers decided to go on strike and demand higher pay.

The ringleaders were swiftly arrested and thrown in CID lock-up. After the ordeal, a number were sacked and the rest were warned.

hahaha...if I remember correctly, old man had threatened to sack the pilots at that time.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re-read properly. My stance and advice has nothing to do with fares and service. Nothing to do with SIA being good, better, best or not. Just don't take your own local carrier unless no other choice, applying to all countries, carriers and nationalities. You didn't even bother to ask why and come out all guns blazing.

Guns back in the holster. Tell us why then?

Law. You're subjected to more laws in your local carrier. Regardless of over which territorial sky it's flying over or land it's heading to, your local laws plus international laws apply to you too until you physically leave the plane and become subjected to the laws of the land you step into exclusive of local laws. Fly with a foreign carrier, only international laws apply. Anyway, no big deal. Just for minor misdemaours and mishiefs. For big matters like molestation and terrorism, practically all international laws apply equally harshly all the way to death penalty. But I'm mischievous and like misdemeanors that harm no one but just against the law.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Now it makes sense. Locals who can't hold their liquor tend to avoid SIA.

Law. You're subjected to more laws in your local carrier. Regardless of over which territorial sky it's flying over or land it's heading to, your local laws plus international laws apply to you too until you physically leave the plane and become subjected to the laws of the land you step into exclusive of local laws. Fly with a foreign carrier, only international laws apply. Anyway, no big deal. Just for minor misdemaours and mishiefs. For big matters like molestation and terrorism, practically all international laws apply equally harshly all the way to death penalty. But I'm mischievous and like misdemeanors that harm no one but just against the law.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hehehe...and those who can't hold their nicotine craving and sneak a puff too.

Ah Ram, in the late 90s, I took several puffs while on board SIA! Beh tahan coz after makan, without cig, I was dying. I took about 4-5 puffs at the back of the plane, outside toilet, but stopped when a passenger came out of the toilet. Minutes later, I took another 4-5 puffs before a stewardess approached from a distance. The passenger was aware I smoked. Not the stewardess.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
she came to tell you go smoke outside !

eh! bro, how come today so early log in already, I thot at this hour you are still over at RWS counting your 300

Mission at RWS accomplished at about 6am. Went breakfast. Came home read newspapers. After shitting and bathing, here reporting to you, Sir. My timing very flexible. Sometimes too drunk never masuk RWS coz there are always road blocks and I cannot afford to lose my license.

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Aiyah, just ask the lao kok kok RSAF pilots to take over the duty then all settled.