• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Shd PM call his sick MP to step down and hold BE in TP GRC soon

jw5

Loyal
When choosing MPs, the electorate looks at both their party affiliations and the candidates. So, it's not so clear-cut that losing one's party membership would lead to the loss of the seat. The law was put in place to prevent defections that led to unstable governments. But one side-effect has been to hand too much power to the party. I believe there's a middle ground - any MP resigning from his party should lose his seat, but if the party sacks him, he should be allowed to retain his seat.

Second, I would even accept this law as it is if the PM did not have such overwhelming discretion over calling by-elections. A combination of these two is a recipe for serious abuse.

Yes, the PM should not have overwhelming discretion over calling by-elections.

MPs losing their seats if they leave their parties, whether via resignation or being sacked? I say let them start all over again and let people decide for themselves whether what he did to get himself sacked was for the good of ordinary folk or not. The people will also decide for themselves about the party's actions.

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If the MP had been sacked because of a serious misdemeanour, it should be the Disciplinary Committee of Parliament that removes him, not the party.

Yes, the PM should not have overwhelming discretion over calling by-elections.

MPs losing their seats if they leave their parties, whether via resignation or being sacked? I say let them start all over again and let people decide for themselves whether what he did to get himself sacked was for the good of ordinary folk or not. The people will also decide for themselves about the party's actions.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This sick MP is costing taxpayers lots of money. He has a security detail - he is just an MP - which costs us big bucks; what's the pay of 4 SB officers? Then he has Gurkha policemen guarding his residence. This super MP should just step down and save taxpayers some money.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
This sick MP is costing taxpayers lots of money. He has a security detail - he is just an MP - which costs us big bucks; what's the pay of 4 SB officers? Then he has Gurkha policemen guarding his residence. This super MP should just step down and save taxpayers some money.

Yeah if he wants ecurity, let him live in Pedra Branca

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

the Old Fark is..................eMPeror mah...................

Dreamer1

Alfrescian
Loyal
son get his father chap gor cheng minister pay as inheritance. This is double dipping, what else?
PM Lee has no gut to tell dad who declared to the whole world that he would never step down,to step down but not to worry,Almighty God will take care of this.as tribulation time is now.

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
This post sure hit a raw nerve. You oppositionists sure can't handle the truth. Lee Kuan Yew is in much better shape than Chiam See Tong was. But then again, who can outdo Lina Chiam in Parliament?

By that standard, SPP should have asked Chiam See Tong to step down before the last GE.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
selfish is what the old man is about. He cleverly put his son is PM even though he knew he had a incapable leadership quality.

i think it is a good idea to step away from a highly stressful job like being an mp.

for god sake he is suffering from serious stroke. not some minor ailments.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree. PP may not be lost if CST hand over his ward to a younger man. By doing so he would have shamed LKY.

This post sure hit a raw nerve. You oppositionists sure can't handle the truth. Lee Kuan Yew is in much better shape than Chiam See Tong was. But then again, who can outdo Lina Chiam in Parliament?