• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Sharp, Panasonic, Sony - Are Jap electronic giants dying?

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Good Work Towards Poor Koreans

Cyclical, I think. Not karma but is everyone's luck sinusoidal ? Japs had their fair share of good lucks but now they ran out of luck while its war victims are now rising fast to replace them as the examples of successes. Japan must now pay its due ? I dono.

How true.

风水轮流转

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

-------

The baggage from the War really does them in. If they had accepted repentance to pay for their past misdeeds, I think they would have done the right things to turnaround their economy. As it is, their hands are tightly constrained. For example they cannot go all out to embrace China. If they do, they can tap into this market, do a lot more to take advantage of its low cost and be a big investor there.

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
-------

The baggage from the War really does them in. If they had accepted repentance to pay for their past misdeeds, I think they would have done the right things to turnaround their economy. As it is, their hands are tightly constrained. For example they cannot go all out to embrace China. If they do, they can tap into this market, do a lot more to take advantage of its low cost and be a big investor there.

you mean to tell me my $90 Pioneer DVD player is made in Japan ???!!!

and my $50 Panasonic cordless phone also made in Japan ???!!!

if the Japs move anymore manufacturing to China, etc etc.................their jobless rate will exceed USA liao lor.................real jobless rate for USA is at least double that of the official figures

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
you mean to tell me my $90 Pioneer DVD player is made in Japan ???!!!

and my $50 Panasonic cordless phone also made in Japan ???!!!

if the Japs move anymore manufacturing to China, etc etc.................their jobless rate will exceed USA liao lor.................real jobless rate for USA is at least double that of the official figures

What the Japs have done in China is only a fraction of what they can do? In some parts of China, e.g. in Nanjing, they practically have no chance. They are more successful in places like Thailand or Indonesia.

Regarding jobless rates I don't think so. Unless the assembly line type of jobs is what they hope to keep. Anyway as far as possible wherever possible, it has been replaced by automation. If they need these, they are already goner.

I know a lot of people cannot accept the fact that Japan is a goner. Give it a couple more years to see if there is any improvement to their fortunes.

Last edited:

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What the Japs have done in China is only a fraction of what they can do? In some parts of China, e.g. in Nanjing, they practically have no chance. They are more successful in places like Thailand or Indonesia.

Regarding jobless rates I don't think so. Unless the assembly line type of jobs is what they hope to keep. Anyway as far as possible wherever possible, it has been replaced by automation. If they need these, they are already goner.

I know a lot of people cannot accept the fact that Japan is a goner. Give it a couple more years to see if there is any improvement to their fortunes.

Tell that to PAP dog gaijin fake Japanese drifter who has been so offline. lol. Wonder who is banging the wife now. lol.

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

mai leh.................liek that very few things made in Japan mah jialat...............

strange that Samsung doing well leh.................their products not cheap also............their quality better than the Japs meh............looks better maybe lah..........

the only way i'll buy Samsung/LG is if they're quite a bit cheaper than the Japs.................otherwise no point mah............

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
One thing i have noticed is japanese brands of cell phones aren't popular outside of japan. The only brand i have heard of is sony ericsson which i think has already closed down.

Seriously why don't japanese brands branch out of japan with cell phones?

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
For a long time now, these Jap brands,Nakamichi, Akai and Sansui, are owned by Hongkong & Macau businessmen. But the holdings company, Grande, is currently being wind up due to massive losses.

http://www.grandeholdings.com/english/company_info.php

Arh.....Nakamachi. They made the best cassette decks in the world with azimuth correction, best known which is the Nakamichi "Dragon" cassette deck and "Dragon" CT turntable. Well-known for over-engineering their products that squeezed the best out of any tape and LP.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Funny - 2 decades ago, the Japanese were applauded a across the world for their innovative engineering designs, understanding customer needs, use of new colours and artistic designs and building of highly automated and mind boggling factories.

No one ever accused them of being cheap, copying or even coming close to following a product line.

These things come and go in phases. The ball is now in their court to lift the game.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Funny - 2 decades ago, the Japanese were applauded a across the world for their innovative engineering designs, understanding customer needs, use of new colours and artistic designs and building of highly automated and mind boggling factories.

No one ever accused them of being cheap, copying or even coming close to following a product line.

These things come and go in phases. The ball is now in their court to lift the game.

That cannot be said for all industries. US auto companies in the 80s were threatened by an emergent Japan which made cheap, reliable and fuel efficient sedans compared to their home grown gas guzzlers. Japan had persistent trade surplus with the US until they got conned by Reagan in the Plaza Accord. The result we all know lah. Japanese companies innovate to beat counter Yen-Dollar appreciation. Admirable but alas to no avail as yen strengthens further. Then the real estate bubble. Then the lost decade.

Korea and China are in the same shoes as Japan was decades ago. Surely you see the similarities.

Last edited:

Enforcer

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Japanese are too proud to admit their wrongdoings. It is good to see the Koreans and Chinese giving them a run for their money.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
One thing i have noticed is japanese brands of cell phones aren't popular outside of japan. The only brand i have heard of is sony ericsson which i think has already closed down.

Seriously why don't japanese brands branch out of japan with cell phones?

There is a historical reason why Japanese makers are not strong players in cellular phones. Back in the days when they define the GSM specifications, the Japanese proposal lost out to the European proposal which was adopted as the international standard. Instead of making for lost time and begin making GSM phones for the world market, the Japanese makers, Sony and Panasonic stubbornly adhered to their proposal and got operators to develop unique domestic networks based on the Japanese standard, thus missing the chance to dominate the world GSM market.

Ericsson, Nokia and Mororola took advantage of this and dominated the market followed by Samsung. Ericsson eventually lost its leadership to Nokia, then to Samsung.

The Ericsson's decline was ironic because in addition to being a leader in mobile phones, they were also a leader in cellular networks. When new frequency bands were released around the world, not only did Ericsson provided supplier loans for equipment to the network service providers, they even gave loans for the auction bids for operating licences which ran into several billions of dollars, often with grossly overvalued fees.

When these loans could not be repaid, Ericsson had to write these off as losses. Because of this financial difficulty, Ericsson could not allocate the required funds for marketing and product development for their phone business and lost their leadership to Nokia. This is very reminiscent to our own loan to IMF.

Nokia's own decline was their inability to foresee the role that smartphones led by Apple will dominate the market. Only Samsung could keep up.

Motorola's decline was another matter. Traditionally, the US could not agree to a common standard with the European and as a result, the rest of the world, partly because of allocation of different frequency bands for cellular service. So instead of GSM, USA has CDMA standard and a GSM like standard. Having to support its home market, Motorola lost out in the international GSM market, even though it produces phones for that.

What finally did everybody in is the arrival of Apple with its smartphone and it seems only Samsung is able to keep up. Although wars still have to be fought over the choice of OS but I feel the next battle ground is on 4G/LTE coverage.

At the moment, most of the LTE networks are still being built but once these networks are fully built, the battle will intensify. At the first crossing of swords, Apple and Samsung offered 4G/LTE in their respective home markets e.g. Apple made iPad 3rd Gen with LTE for only the US market.

But Apple has thrown the next salvo by having iPhone 5, both the iPad mini and iPad 4th Gen to have LTE coverage for both the US and the rest of the world. The ball is now in the court of Samsung and the rest to see how they would react. Interesting.

Last edited:

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Arh.....Nakamachi. They made the best cassette decks in the world with azimuth correction, best known which is the Nakamichi "Dragon" cassette deck and "Dragon" CT turntable. Well-known for over-engineering their products that squeezed the best out of any tape and LP.

waaaah, you know your hifi ah................

back in those days, when really good tape decks are better than cd players.........

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sony phones are still selling, but its a real shame that docomo phones are not available in SG.

Their docomo phones require a different kind of network. As the Japanese networks are not of the agreed international standard, no country other than Japan installs them.

Last edited:

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
waaaah, you know your hifi ah................

back in those days, when really good tape decks are better than cd players.........

Ya man.

Last time, so many different tape types like normal, chrome and metal tapes were available from TDK, Sony and Maxell. And you need to tune bias and EQ of each tape to squeeze the best sound out from it. Nakamichi has an auto tape-tuning for this. Teac also has some high-end decks with auto tape-tuning but no azimuth correction as Nakamichi. There was also esoteric brand like Revox then.

And the best Walkman in those days was this huge baby below, around SGD700. Having Dolby-C in a Walkman was unheard of in those days hor....

SONY%2520Walkman%2520WM-D6C%252001.jpg

Last edited:

Dreamer1

Alfrescian
Loyal

The Japanese may seen like a loser now but it is hard to imagine the number of fellow human beings especially those from Asia and Africa emerging powers who wish like MAD that they can have a living standard nearer to what the Japanese are having for so long.

On the other hand,it seems to be that the real Asian power that is set to replace old aunty Japan is not PRC or India,but South Korea,a small country with small pupulation of only 40 million plus,I have always urge PAP to look to S.Korea,a asian liberal democracy known for its nasty workers on strike,but they will give PAP elites a few lessons on how to run a smaller country.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There is a historical reason why Japanese makers are not strong players in cellular phones. Back in the days when they define the GSM specifications, the Japanese proposal lost out to the European proposal which was adopted as the international standard. Instead of making for lost time and begin making GSM phones for the world market, the Japanese makers, Sony and Panasonic stubbornly adhered to their proposal and got operators to develop unique domestic networks based on the Japanese standard, thus missing the chance to dominate the world GSM market.

Ericsson, Nokia and Mororola took advantage of this and dominated the market followed by Samsung. Ericsson eventually lost its leadership to Nokia, then to Samsung.

AH i see.

Is the phone network in japan also GSM?

When i was in the US and i had to change cell phone cos it didn't use gsm and there was no need for a sim card. Somehow the phone itself was registered to the network. Come to think of it that was quite fucked up.