• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Shameless WP Yaw Shin Leong Bootlick The PAP Again

LaMei

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear La

I take the bus and the MRT and I am happy to see all the foreigners in town all dressed in their F1 gear :_)) . Its just a week of F1 madness which I have borne with in terms of the public transport, well worth the price in my view. I can only hope that more Singaporeans drivers, non drivers aside will take the inconvnience in their stride as a price worth having for F1

Locke

My dear Locke..

I am not talking about taking own transport for personal luxury..

I am meaning people who are trying to get in to Marina Center for work..

Delivery can only be made between 12am - 5am..
all other work are almost at a standstill throughout the entire F1 period..

These are inconvenience caused to many of the business there..

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Latest

Ohhh I have called for YSL to resign over his "vote" issue so in no way I can be consider as biased. However this whole issue reeks somewhat of hypocrisy and double standards masquerading as political ideologues and puritans.

1. La Mei's rails against the inconvnience because she drives :_)) I take the public transport and borrow rides and she rails against the F1 as an event for the rich and the elites ? I believe the inconviencies suffered thus far by all Singaporeans concerned are a worthwhile sacrifice to host a global brand name event. I hope that F1 in Singapore becomes a permanent fixture.

2. Ejay's rails against YSL because he views F1 as highlighting Singapore's economic success. He lists in detail how Singapore has failed economically in terms of ensuring equitable growth. Simply put he wants to rail and rant against the growing in any way of the economic pie until he sees the succuess as being shared equally. For me its rather more simple, celebrate anything that grows the damm pie and argue to hell about how to divide the growing pie later. Its always better to be a poor man in a rich country than a poor man in a poor country.

3. Ejay's the political puritan views F1 as an evil and not worth celebrating because we do not have complete full civil and political rights. I guess for him hosting and celebrating the Youth Olympics will not be in order because we do not have have full civl and political rights, or any event of international stature and status. I hold that view point to be utterly small minded and petty. F1 fans are of all sorts, rich famous, branding he fails to understand comes not only from those that attend but those who view TV and in news reports. If we see F1 as part an parcel of an economic blueprint that includes integrated resorts, wealth management and financial services, and manufacturing then the whole value equation makes sense policy wise

Locke

I think its not wise to talk over people's head and dismiss their opinions just because they 1. disagree with yours, and 2. you believe that just because they're SDP means they are not worth your time.

Simply put, I don't look at government spending as a short term thing. Let's face it: this government is not fiscally conservative. It spends billions and returns very little. It can spend $600k for a renaming exercise, and rename it its original name.

As I said clearly, I would rather spend money conservatively and more on the people themselves. "Invest and grow" is not just a mantra for Bill Clinton, and for those who agree with it. Its actually true that if we spend more on education, public infrastructure for public transport, on roads and on high speed broadband networks, it would pay for itself, as Singapore, as a business city, would take advantage of such infrastructure upgrade, by improving productivity. South Korea has done just that, and they are growing better than us.

In short, I don't look at short term gains only. Your view is that as long as everything 100% goes according to plan, F1 may return the projected earnings, and we may have our reputation. Everything is "may", "possibly", "could", "should"- but nothing certain. And when you invest say hundreds of millions of dollars that returns a mere ten million(returns doesn't mean profits by the way; it only means ten million dollars worth in ticket receipts and tax invoices), then what's the point?

I'd say this: I would continue to oppose the F1 competition, even if that view is unpopular with the majority of people within the party I'm in. I don't mind taking unpopular positions within the party just as long as I know I've taken the right position in the first place. I don't want to be popular just because its good short term. I don't think of that; instead the bigger picture is more important.

In the end, the stance Sen. Obama took in Iraq is not unlike my own within my own party right now. Would I care if my views coincide with SDP currently? No. Its up to you guys however, whether is right to take such an opposing position just because its politically convenient in the first place... when you know its principally wrong.

LaMei

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think its not wise to talk over people's head and dismiss their opinions just because they 1. disagree with yours, and 2. you believe that just because they're SDP means they are not worth your time.

Hi Latest H..

Thank you for your above posting..

I believe we are all entitled to our own opinions...and just because most of the time my ideas do not resonate with them does not make my opinions a biased one..

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Radio

Ohhhh I slammed YSl as well the last time the ho incident surfaced and it did not make me to popular :_)). Just that this time I do not see a problem with his praise of a successful F1 for Singapore :_)). Your views coincide with SDP supporters not the SDP itself and my critique has been directed primarily at certain comments from individuals not the party. Honestly I do not think there is an official position thus far vis sa vis F1 and the SDP.

Btw there is no WP party position with regards to F1 and SG so one can say or argue anything.

Locke

Last edited:

one2unite

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Latest H..

I believe we are all entitled to our own opinions...and just because most of the time my ideas do not resonate with them does not make my opinions a biased one..

F1 is an event for the rich, the powerful who are mainly foreigners, unlike the Grand Prix of the past which involved the total, enthusiastic participation of ordinary Singaporeans.

What is the use of holding the F1 by excluding the locals and call it an event that Singaporeans are proud of? Only the PAP fat-cats, their toadies and cronies can take pride in the event that did not resonate well with the people.

The PAP also boasted that in the first half of this year, it created a record number of 144,600 jobs. What is the use of creating jobs for foreigners and letting our elderly clean tables, collect empty cans and cardboards for a meagre living?

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ohhhh I slammed YSl as well the last time the ho incident surfaced and it did not make me to popular :_)). Just that this time I do not see a problem with his praise of a successful F1 for Singapore :_)). Your views coincide with SDP supporters not the SDP itself and my critique has been directed primarily at certain comments from individuals not the party. Honestly I do not think there is an official position thus far vis sa vis F1 and the SDP.

Blame who? You're always blur and you can't read your compass with correct orientation. You're always defending the wrong side and attacking the wrong side. Remember, oriental compass points south and occidental compass points north.

You end up unpopularly disorientated whether you defend or attack the same thing.

Last edited:

myjohnson

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fifteen years ago, looking at the way Singapore had evolved, I can't help but equate it's social structure to that of a country club. The government is the central committee, the elite; foreigners included, the favoured members. the citizens are the staff, the servants. I tried to post this opinion on TOC but it wasn't published. Cut too close to the bone perhaps?

Avantas

Alfrescian
Loyal
TOC will never dare to publish any comment that is remotely anti-PAP.

That's why they have a MDA Film committee person Gerald Giam on its team.

You can try sending it to the wayangparty club at [email protected]. I am sure they will publish it.

Fifteen years ago, looking at the way Singapore had evolved, I can't help but equate it's social structure to that of a country club. The government is the central committee, the elite; foreigners included, the favoured members. the citizens are the staff, the servants. I tried to post this opinion on TOC but it wasn't published. Cut too close to the bone perhaps?

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Latest H..

If we want freedom of speech, expression and from fear and want, then we have to apply that to ourselves as to other people as well. If not we are just gonna be no different from the PAP.

Summerbee

Alfrescian
Loyal
F1 is a private consortium owned by this white haried guy, it was NEVER a sporting body. Car companies had to (or can) pay to be part of the race. There had been many instances of criticism against this private organisation and how a few particular companies were always favoured. American car manufacturers had always stayed away from F1 and it was a dying sport in Europe associated with class differeniation and the filthy rich (tobacco adv were rampant at one time). I find it funny how a country's PM would came forward to present the trophy on waht was essentially a private ran event rather than a world wide sporting body like the Olympics. To compared F1 to the Olympics, as in the papers, was laughable seeing that rich companies have to and can pay to be part of this private race.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I agree with Summerbee. F1 is not a sport. It's elite entertainment.

If Singaporean children cite being F1 driver as ambition, then that's worrying.

mustpaycashhhh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Andrew Moh Lan Yong, found a job yet? Hows ur mom? :rolleyes:

How is your cheebai? Got business or not? We all still waiting for you to tell us about your Phantom F4 Lawyer from Nehson Building who is bonking his customer wife who call herself Tak Bulay Tahan Mei. Is it she Tak Bulay Tahan down there need a Lawyer to bonk her? LOL.

popdod

Alfrescian
Loyal
In the party...also have to sing the same tunes?
No difference from PAP wor...if that is the case.

:o :confused: :o

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree with Summerbee. F1 is not a sport. It's elite entertainment.

If Singaporean children cite being F1 driver as ambition, then that's worrying.

Even so, if anyone wants to be an F1 driver, one needs to leave this country to train as one. And most preferably, one has to be in Europe, learning. And usually top champions like Alonso and Hamilton started by joining the go-kart circuit at age 9 in their home countries.

And not many actually succeed. Like professional football, and basketball, and other sports, not many who start in these sports manage to make it till the top. Being an elite athlete for club and country, or for country is not easy; you need a lot of talent and persistence. So F1 isn't easy and its certainly not cheap. Can any local middle class family have enough money to send his/her kid to Europe to learn? Not many- barely even a handful.

Summerbee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Even so, if anyone wants to be an F1 driver, one needs to leave this country to train as one. And most preferably, one has to be in Europe, learning. And usually top champions like Alonso and Hamilton started by joining the go-kart circuit at age 9 in their home countries.

And not many actually succeed. Like professional football, and basketball, and other sports, not many who start in these sports manage to make it till the top. Being an elite athlete for club and country, or for country is not easy; you need a lot of talent and persistence. So F1 isn't easy and its certainly not cheap. Can any local middle class family have enough money to send his/her kid to Europe to learn? Not many- barely even a handful.

You still don't get it. F1 is a private setup, not a normal sport body where you can train from young and qualify to race. You have to pay money to join them. Alternatively, if you have lots of money, you can pay to setup a team or to host the event, you do not have to bid or compete in any qualifying rounds. Singapore pay alot to host the event. If you are good in racing (many more people are good in racing cars than those few you saw in F1), it does not mean you can simply participate, you need to be part of a team that pay membership fee to the F1 company to join the race. And this private company is said to be biased towards a few of the car companies, sometimes not allowing some competitors to even join in the race. You will not see American car manufacturers inside and many previous companies like subaru has left. It is said to be rather discriminatory against companies it does not like. Companies participate to raise their profile, not because it is really a premier sport. You don't pay to host or join an Olympics if you undertsand my point, this F1 is not a sporting body, it is a private company.

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
You still don't get it. F1 is a private setup, not a normal sport body where you can train from young and qualify to race. You have to pay money to join them. Alternatively, if you have lots of money, you can pay to setup a team or to host the event, you do not have to bid or compete in any qualifying rounds. Singapore pay alot to host the event. If you are good in racing (many more people are good in racing cars than those few you saw in F1), it does not mean you can simply participate, you need to be part of a team that pay membership fee to the F1 company to join the race. And this private company is said to be biased towards a few of the car companies, sometimes not allowing some competitors to even join in the race. You will not see American car manufacturers inside and many previous companies like subaru has left. It is said to be rather discriminatory against companies it does not like. Companies participate to raise their profile, not because it is really a premier sport. You don't pay to host or join an Olympics if you undertsand my point, this F1 is not a sporting body, it is a private company.

I'm not talking about that; you have missed my point. My point is that even if a handful of parents want their kids to be F1 drivers, they face a lot of challenges to get into the pro circuit. It is expensive, and you have to move your entire family to Europe.

So I merely pointed out the fact that people shouldn't have that pipe dream- thinking F1 driving is easy;just like any other pro sport in Europe and the US, it calls for tons of sacrifice on part of the kid and his family. So I merely stated this as a fact for all Singaporean families.

It has nothing to do with the fact that F1 is private and is controlled by business elites. I already know that as a fact. That's why I opposed the F1 circuit here as the PAP's first choice to fire up the economy. I mean, if its their first choice as an economical policy, that's when we have to start worrying whether have they ran out of ideas millions of years ago.

nanana1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yesterday when I drove past Beach Road towards ECP heading home,
there was a long queue of trucks, lorries, cars waiting to get in to Marina Centre..and that was way past midnight, at least 2 hours after the race ended..

success???at whose expense may I ask?

ask the writer to tell that to the many small time biz owners and shop keepers who suffered losses as a result of the road closures

and also ask the writer to tell dat to all the people who had to work overtime so as to give the RICH and ELITE a chance to enjoy themselves..
F1 is bad because people lives get disrupted and some people cannot go home in normal time. Better no F1 or anything, even National Day celebration also cos they closed roads and people are inconvenienced.

Only for the rich and elite ? Funny, my grandparents and I also enjoy leh.

Oops, got to go now, my bus coming. :p