• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

[Sg] - 70-Year-Old Man Loses Over $70,000 After Fake Google Play Was Installed On His Mobile Phone

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
The man, known as Loo (not his real name), told Shin Min Daily News that he had received a call from a DBS Bank staff at around 9am on Jan. 29.

Why bother to give him a name when it does not matter and not real.

Just call him “victim”.

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
S'pore man, 70, loses S$71,000 in 2 hours after clicking on malware-infected Google Play app
S$30,000 was his pension.

A 70-year-old man in Singapore lost about S$71,000 in two hours after he allegedly clicked on a malicious fake Google Play application on his phone.

The man, known as Loo (not his real name), told Shin Min Daily News that he had received a call from a DBS Bank staff at around 9am on Jan. 29.

The staff informed Loo that from 3am to 5am, multiple transfers of money were made from his account to foreign countries.

The amount transferred totalled S$71,000.

Only about S$2,000 was left in his account.

Loo told the staff to freeze his account immediately.

Lost his pension in the process
Loo's S$30,000 pension, which he received in January, was lost.

More than S$6,000 was also charged to his credit card, which he has not repaid.

He subsequently reported the matter to the police and handed his phone over to them for investigation.

"The police said if the money has been transferred to a foreign country, I can't get it back. It is my hard earned money and it really hurts for it to be transferred away like this. This matter has caused me and my wife many sleepless nights," Loo told Shin Min.

Loo also insisted that he did not receive a one-time password (OTP), nor was he redirected to any alternative links.

This left him wondering how his account was compromised.

Loo said he shared his story to warn others.

Phone was compromised: police
Responding to Mothership's queries, a DBS spokesperson said police investigations revealed that Loo's phone was compromised by malware.

This can happen when one downloads applications laced with malware from unauthorised sites.

The malware allow hackers to "take control" of a mobile device to perform fraudulent online transactions.

"Given these circumstances, consumers will have to bear responsibility for exposure to malware, which led to their phones being compromised," the DBS spokesperson said.

However, the spokesperson also mentioned that the bank has reached out to Loo to make a goodwill offer.

"Consumers can also consider seeking assistance from the Financial Industry Disputes and Resolution Centre Ltd. (FIDReC), which is an independent and impartial mediation party, and can be assured that DBS will fully support the review process," the spokesperson added.

The Singapore police and the Cyber Security Agency of Singapore issued a joint statement on April 11 warning the public about downloading applications from third party or dubious sites.

They also advised the public on the steps to follow to be adequately protected.

Top photo via Shin Min Daily News

If you like what you read, follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Telegram to get the latest updates.

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
Maybe Android have to go the way of faggot phones and just lock out all down loads from external sites. Also all banks should just not allow transfers unless the external overseas account has been 'registered' with the bank. But it's just too much work for the bank

butoh6050

Alfrescian
Loyal
If the bank is offering a goodwill offer, i think they know they are at fault and with a good lawyer, old man got a case against them.
No banks are going to offer an amount first.

Don't the banks have security setup in a way that no money can be transferred into an overseas bank without prior approval?

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
malware-google-play.jpg

https://mothership.sg/2023/04/googl...ghMWzWbQv9C-oY4SC4vDOZgvZFgBk&mibextid=unz460
Another lao hero bites the dust

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
S'pore man, 70, loses S$71,000 in 2 hours after clicking on malware-infected Google Play app
S$30,000 was his pension.

A 70-year-old man in Singapore lost about S$71,000 in two hours after he allegedly clicked on a malicious fake Google Play application on his phone.

The staff informed Loo that from 3am to 5am, multiple transfers of money were made from his account to foreign countries.

The amount transferred totalled S$71,000.

Only about S$2,000 was left in his account.

Loo told the staff to freeze his account immediately.

Lost his pension in the process
Loo's S$30,000 pension, which he received in January, was lost.

More than S$6,000 was also charged to his credit card, which he has not repaid.

He subsequently reported the matter to the police and handed his phone over to them for investigation.

"The police said if the money has been transferred to a foreign country, I can't get it back. It is my hard earned money and it really hurts for it to be transferred away like this. This matter has caused me and my wife many sleepless nights," Loo told Shin Min.

Loo also insisted that he did not receive a one-time password (OTP), nor was he redirected to any alternative links.

This left him wondering how his account was compromised.

Loo said he shared his story to warn others.

Phone was compromised: police
Responding to Mothership's queries, a DBS spokesperson said police investigations revealed that Loo's phone was compromised by malware.

This can happen when one downloads applications laced with malware from unauthorised sites.

The malware allow hackers to "take control" of a mobile device to perform fraudulent online transactions.

"Given these circumstances, consumers will have to bear responsibility for exposure to malware, which led to their phones being compromised," the DBS spokesperson said.

However, the spokesperson also mentioned that the bank has reached out to Loo to make a goodwill offer.

"Consumers can also consider seeking assistance from the Financial Industry Disputes and Resolution Centre Ltd. (FIDReC), which is an independent and impartial mediation party, and can be assured that DBS will fully support the review process," the spokesperson added.

The Singapore police and the Cyber Security Agency of Singapore issued a joint statement on April 11 warning the public about downloading applications from third party or dubious sites.

They also advised the public on the steps to follow to be adequately protected.

Top photo via Shin Min Daily News

If you like what you read, follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Telegram to get the latest updates.
Scammer left $2k for Lao Hero to buy a IPhone15

A Singaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal
Retard Sinkies should be banned from any online banking. Should stick to having a bank book and q at counter in person. Xia Suay.

sbfuncle

Alfrescian
Loyal
However, the spokesperson also mentioned that the bank has reached out to Loo to make a goodwill offe
You can see that the recent scams, the bank has made offer and returning most of the money.
Simply having a malware can cause this to happen simple means online banking should be decommissioned anytime now. Banks are still not acknowledging it. Maybe soon.

sbfuncle

Alfrescian
Loyal
You can see that the recent scams, the bank has made offer and returning most of the money.
Simply having a malware can cause this to happen simple means online banking should be decommissioned anytime now. Banks are still not acknowledging it. Maybe soon.
1 of my friend also recently got a fraudulent transaction done to her account.
She has always been a careful person.
It shows that online banking and financial app is no longer safe. Use at your own risk.
My friend had to terminate all her cards.
Bank also made the restitution.

sbfuncle

Alfrescian
Loyal
1 of my friend also recently got a fraudulent transaction done to her account.
She has always been a careful person.
It shows that online banking and financial app is no longer safe. Use at your own risk.
My friend had to terminate all her cards.
Bank also made the restitution.
Previously Banks can offer advice on How to avoid scams, how to identify fake urls, not to click on links etc.
Now the scam is many levels above and I think bank can no longer give advices.
You cannot prevent a malware app from self installing into your phone when they are tagged to a legit app, can you ?
I would say, uninstall all your app today and just leave something to pass time eg sbf website, play games, WhatsApp chat.

LexLuthor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Classified national secrets, just like the race of perpetrators in certain crimes, or the identity of child rapists.

Magical 'gag orders' from the kangaroo court of a shithole regime. :cool:
According to the article, the app is the Google Play app itself, which makes me wonder why it didn't come with the phone as a preset software.

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
A 70-year-old man loses more than $70,000 within 2 hours after a fake Google Play application was installed on his mobile phone. As a result, his personal data was stolen by hackers who then transferred away money, which includes his pension from his bank account.

According to Zaobao, Mr Lu told the newspaper in an interview that at around 9am on 29 January, he received a call from someone from DBS Bank. The DBS staff told him that since 3am that day, there were multiple overseas transactions within just two hours.

And based on transaction history, about $71,000 was transferred out of his account, leaving only about $2,000 left in his account. Mr Lu then immediately asked the staff to freeze his bank account.

“The money includes a pension I received in January this year, which was about $30,000,” said Mr Lu.

Mr Lu said he has since reported the incident to the police and handed over his mobile phone to the police for investigation. Investigation showed that his personal data was stolen due to a fake Google Play application installed on his mobile phone.

“The police told me that if the money is transferred to a foreign account, I will not be able to get it back. It is my hard-earned money. It really hurts that my money is being transferred out of my account like this. My wife and I are losing sleep every night because of this incident,” said Mr Lu.

Mr Lu emphasised that he did not provide any one-time password (OTP) at that time, and neither did he click on any suspicious link.

He felt that there were lapses in the bank’s security measures and he should be given an explanation. He approached the bank in February, hoping that the bank will return his money.

Mr Lu also hopes that his unfortunate experience can remind others to be careful and avoid their personal information from being stolen.

https://sureboh.sg/2023/04/12/70-ye...oogle-play-was-installed-on-his-mobile-phone/
Thank u for the news... Must have awareness

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
cannot fathom why so many sinkie aunties, unkers, ah mahs and ah kongs use huawei or other android phones in sg. i have an old relative who is used to the convenience and safety of an iphone but switches to a huawei on the persuasion and insistence by her chink helicopter elder sister

Many Dickson Yeo and George Yeo types in Sinkieland. You can easily identify them by them always taking the opportunity to put in a good word for China, even when there is no need to do so. :cool: