• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

SDP, NSP not contesting Hougang by-election

rainnix

Alfrescian
Loyal
For what I see NSP never wanted to contest HG in the first place. They had more guts when GMS is the SG, now under scholar Hazel the party became cowardly.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for your insight. Really valuable. Let us know what else you see. Looking forward to it. We all missed it by a mile.

For what I see NSP never wanted to contest HG in the first place. They had more guts when GMS is the SG, now under scholar Hazel the party became cowardly.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You are wrong. WP can lose this BE. You will be surprised cos you don't really know what the people are thinking until they vote

Want to bet? Kidney? Liver?

This BE between WP and PAP is machiam Spain vs S'pore in soccer. 15 minutes into the counting of votes and all present will know game over liao.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
I won't be that optimistic as you are.

Yahoo news is generally quite pro-opposition but this time round, it has hinted a change of hearts by residents in Hougang:

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/hougang-residents-adopt-wait-and-see-stance-to-by-election.html

Hougang residents adopt wait-and-see stance to by-election
Yahoo! Newsroom – 3 hours ago

Email
Print
View Photo
One year after the General Election, Hougang residents are heading for the polls again
By Lin Wenjian and Elizabeth Soh

As news of the by-election in Hougang broke on Wednesday afternoon, most residents there that Yahoo! Singapore spoke to said they would wait until Nomination Day on 16 May, when the candidates will be announced, before deciding who to vote for.

Civil servant Jason Chua, 30, said he is "keeping an open mind" this time.

"I have always been a staunch Workers' Party (WP) supporter, but for the upcoming by-election I will listen to the PAP candidate's plans for the constituency before deciding," Chua said.

The longtime Hougang resident admitted that his confidence in WP has taken a hit, following the Yaw Shin Leong fiasco.

Yaw, the former WP Member of Parliament (MP) for Hougang single member constituency (SMC), lost his seat after he was expelled from the party on 14 February for refusing to account for his alleged extra-marital affairs.

But three months after his removal from office, his alleged misdemeanours still figured prominently on the minds of many residents contacted by Yahoo! Singapore for their views on the by-election.

Housewife R. Lee, 35, said she hoped to hear WP chief and former Hougang MP Low Thia Khiang’s explanation on Yaw during the campaigning. “Only if he gives an unconvincing answer will I consider voting otherwise. WP has been consistently serving our ward well and I have no reason to consider Desmond Choo,” she added.

Choo, the candidate fielded by the PAP against Yaw in the general election last May, garnered 35.2 per cent of votes, the lowest electoral percentage result for the ruling party in the Hougang SMC since the 1988.

Company secretary Linda Koo, 42, on the other hand, hoped to see “candidates who are more responsible about the personal life choices they make, as well as be responsive in crisis situations”.

She said: “If the candidates are not up to mark, I feel that I would be inclined to make a more practical decision that can get us things like lift upgrades and better facilities faster.”

Retiree Lim David added that he felt “turned off by elections after Yaw let us down”.

“You really can’t tell from a couple of days how good a candidate will be. New candidates won’t have time to work the ground so I expect that we won’t be spoilt for choice anyway,” Lim explained.

Another resident, undergraduate Randall Ong, 24, said he would be looking out for a candidate with honesty and transparency.

Ong, who has been a Hougang resident all his life, added: “Although this time it won’t be as exciting as the general election, it will still be important. Hougang has been under Worker’s Party for so long but no one is sure if it will go back to the PAP this time. I’m hopeful residents will elect someone able to represent our interests best."

He added that he would be looking out for candidates with solid plans to improve the SMC, such as increasing the number of sheltered walkways as well as a stronger focus on the elderly residents.
But at least one resident said only one party will emerge victorious come polling day. Freelance writer Leow Mei Xue, 34, said. “We have always been a WP stronghold, so unless the WP candidate is really not up to standard, I think the result is predictable.”
WP is expected to field Png Eng Huat in the by-election after the 49-year-old was seen making his rounds at the constituency earlier this year.
Meanwhile, PAP's Choo, who has continued his grassroot outreach in the area after last year's poll, said he will be honoured if given the chance to contest in the ward again.

Hougang residents must keep faith in WP.. the YSL saga was just a blip.. Workers Party have been serving them well over the years.. People in Hougang should remember that..

The Shit Times and other papers have been giving more spotlight to Desmond over these last 2 months.. His so called good deeds like giving free hearing aids to the Hougang elderly and the free porridge treat, these are all typical PAP wayang show..

The Potong Pasir residents kena conned big time by the fuck faced Sitoh and the PAP.. The good people of Hougang should learn from the stupidity of their Potong Pasir counterparts..

AhFook

Alfrescian
Loyal
what a joke! the self proclaimed expert analyst now even quoting yahoo news! wdf happens to his 'news from the grounds' that he boasted so often here

deepblue0911

Alfrescian
Loyal
I won't be that optimistic as you are.

Yahoo news is generally quite pro-opposition but this time round, it has hinted a change of hearts by residents in Hougang

Mr. Goh

The only consistency I see in your postings is your anti-WP stance, which is fine as everyone is entitled to take a position regardless of what others think. Consistency is good although consistently being wrong and in denial, we usually call it stubborn. You belong to the latter category, but that's just my take.

But inconsistencies are generally frowned upon, especially if a person flip-flops without clearly discernible reasons and logic. I hope I don't appear to be stalking you but you've not answered my questions posed to you in the thread you started. I'm reproducing them here for your easy reference. And hope I hear from your learned self.

"Mr. Goh

Scroobal is saying PAP is now terrified that a 3-corner fight will split PAP's votes while WP's votes will remain largely intact, with the exception of NS coming in, which she isn't. Is that the reason why you're now singing a different tune? i.e. You're now saying it should be a straight fight between PAP and WP, which is a position I did not hear from you previously. If you've stated this position before, please share with me again (I must have missed that). However, if this is a new position of yours, can you come clean on your change of heart?

GD says you're paid to do this. I don't know whether this is true. But this is a serious allegation and I'm concerned for you. If it's not true, you must do something to protect your integrity, no? So far you did not even respond to GD so I'm assuming you missed that. Please also do not say you ignore it so as not to lend credibility to a wild accusation. Otherwise, your silence will be construed as admission, and not dissimilar to how YSL handled his adultery allegations. "

I'm less interested in whether you're paid to do this, even though the suggestion by GD conveys you as a rather sinister person with hidden agenda.

What I'm interested is your response to what I see in your change in position, in blue above.

Last edited: