• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

SDP member Ang Yong Guan say WP fielding Ms Lee Li Lian is "brilliant"

brocoli

Alfrescian
Loyal
SDP member Ang Yong Guan - who was among the names thrown up by the media - said he decided not to run as "there are already enough good candidates".

Asked what he thought of the WP's decision to ignore the SDP's overtures, Dr Ang said he was not surprised, adding that their decision to field Ms Lee Li Lian was "brilliant, as they can leverage on the 41 per cent (the percentage of votes that Ms Lee garnered in the last GE), so they are putting up a familiar face. They also show they aren't worried about the credentials of (PAP candidate) Dr Koh (Poh Koon)."

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1247970/1/.html

player26

Alfrescian
Loyal
i think this is an expected move for anybody familiar with WP.. cant seem them sacrificing an NCMP...

SDP should just forget it... they are looking like opportunist...same goes for RP

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
Comments like this do not mean anything. What he said is a great example of how opposition politicians should behave.

It is like Alex Ferguson saying before Man U - Liverpool that "Liverpool have great players". Before you go into a contest, you must respect your opponents, especially if they are not PAP members.

There are lot of shitheads in WP and SDP and they should learn from him.

captainxerox

Alfrescian
Loyal
SDP member Ang Yong Guan - who was among the names thrown up by the media - said he decided not to run as "there are already enough good candidates".

Asked what he thought of the WP's decision to ignore the SDP's overtures, Dr Ang said he was not surprised, adding that their decision to field Ms Lee Li Lian was "brilliant, as they can leverage on the 41 per cent (the percentage of votes that Ms Lee garnered in the last GE), so they are putting up a familiar face. They also show they aren't worried about the credentials of (PAP candidate) Dr Koh (Poh Koon)."

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1247970/1/.html

ang yong guan was one of the 2 sdp members in that contest who sank sdp's chances in bt timah-holland. the other was tjs. vw and michelle would have been in parliament if not for those 2 deadweights. michelle smart and moved on to....wp! http://www.sammyboy.com/showthread.php?121702-Michelle-Lee-(Ex-SDP-member-now-is-the-new-WP-member-)

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have been hearing that AYG had left or distanced himself. These remarks add weight to the rumour.

At this point when SDP is very likely to contest and WP and SDP become competitors, I will save my praises if I were a SDP man. I also won't forget that the biggest potential from SDP was my team mate in the last election.

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
Comments like this do not mean anything. What he said is a great example of how opposition politicians should behave.

It is like Alex Ferguson saying before Man U - Liverpool that "Liverpool have great players". Before you go into a contest, you must respect your opponents, especially if they are not PAP members.

There are lot of shitheads in WP and SDP and they should learn from him.

An analogy cannot be drawn between politics and football.
To give praise to your presumed opponent in politics means those remarks will be played back again and again.
What is even worse is that Ang Yong Guan was being sincere and not ironic.

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
AYG was being sincere but diplomatic at the same time. Mark of a maturing politician.

Then, friend, I have to say that you do not know the meaning of politics.
If someone is already an established elected politician, to offer praise to someone who is much your junior is not a real issue.
It is all a matter of careful calculation. If that is not politics, then what is? Giving your opposite number a chance?

WP should repeat AYG's remarks at its rallies.

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
AYG was being sincere but diplomatic at the same time. Mark of a maturing politician.

AYG could have kept quiet or need not ravish with such praise using words like brilliant. It is obvious to me that he's not with SDP in heart. Not that it matters in the BE.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
WP should repeat AYG's remarks at its rallies.

"brilliant, as they can leverage on the 41 per cent (the percentage of votes that Ms Lee garnered in the last GE), so they are putting up a familiar face. They also show they aren't worried about the credentials of (PAP candidate) Dr Koh (Poh Koon)."

It is praise, but nothing more than stating the facts:

1. LLL can leverage on her 41%;
2. WP aren't worried about Koh's credentials.

Every Tom, Dick and Harry can see the self-evident truth of the two points raised. How does it change the fortunes of WP or PAP if they're raised during the rallies?

sgpools

Alfrescian
Loyal
heyyy
no money no talk Ang
u talk 3 for 4 for what arh...
another alex tok????
Dr Koh poke yr anus then u know....

Last edited:

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
"brilliant, as they can leverage on the 41 per cent (the percentage of votes that Ms Lee garnered in the last GE), so they are putting up a familiar face. They also show they aren't worried about the credentials of (PAP candidate) Dr Koh (Poh Koon)."

It is praise, but nothing more than stating the facts:

1. LLL can leverage on her 41%;
2. WP aren't worried about Koh's credentials.

Every Tom, Dick and Harry can see the self-evident truth of the two points raised. How does it change the fortunes of WP or PAP if they're raised during the rallies?

Let WP raise it at its rallies again and again.
All it shows is that instinctively many people are gravitating to just one candidate.

ah_phah

Alfrescian
Loyal
actually, i think its perfectly alright that AYG declines to run for candidacy in punggol-east. in fact, its quite evident that the party he's in is democratic & liberal enough to accept the member's decision.

AYG is right to say that there is enough good candidate(s)... actually, there is only 1 good candidate. LLL did pretty well in GE2011 despite it being a 3cornered fight. perhaps, if there werent wasted sympathy votes for the fella who lost his election deposit, LLL couldve already secured a seat in the house as MP/ NCMP.

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The 'brilliant' is the diplomatic part.

Not that simple, I feel. Why don't Paul Tambyah also ravish praise on LLL. I am sure he would be asked to comment. He's not diplomatic?

It's the same thing. If VW or PT is announced and Yee JJ says something like "VW is an outstanding candidate", I won't think it's diplomacy.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not that simple, I feel. Why don't Paul Tambyah also ravish praise on LLL. I am sure he would be asked to comment. He's not diplomatic?

No, simply because PT or VW could be standing. AYG has ruled himself out, so a comment like that is OK.

There's a difference between what a candidate can say (or not) and what his comrades/supporters can say. That's politics.

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There's a difference between what a candidate can say (or not) and what his comrades/supporters can say. That's politics.

Of course there is, but cannot be against party interests or contradict one another.

Maybe SDP is liberal to the extent of it being much over discipline. Both are important, but I think a balance needs to be struck.

Last edited: