• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

SDP Home of the Faggots

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Gay News: Dr Wijeysingha of SDP is first openly gay politician here, sparks debate

6a00d83451b52369e2015431f30f4e970c-580wi

SINGAPORE - Opposition politician Vincent Wijeysingha has come out of the closet as the first openly gay politician in Singapore, sparking discussions on whether it signals that society has moved on homosexuality.

Last Friday, Dr Wijeysingha posted on his Facebook page that he was going for the Pink Dot gathering the next day. "And yes, I am gay," wrote the 43-year-old social work lecturer. "PS. And no, I don't have a gay agenda."

The latter was a reference to a controversy during the 2011 General Election, when Dr Wijeysingha was fielded as a Singapore Democratic Party (SDP) candidate in Holland-Bukit Timah GRC.

The People's Action Party had highlighted an online video showing Dr Wijeysingha at a forum on gay issues and asked if he or SDP intended to pursue a gay agenda.

At that time, without commenting on Dr Wijeysingha's sexual orientation, SDP chief Chee Soon Juan declared that neither the party nor any of its candidates was pursuing a gay agenda.

After last Saturday's Pink Dot, Dr Wijeysingha posted a longer explanation on Monday of his decision to speak openly of his sexuality. "In truth, I wasn't intending to 'come out'. I merely wanted to encourage every LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) person in Singapore to attend Pink Dot and therefore I had to say why it means so much to me."

The gay rights event drew a record 21,000 turnout. Dr Wijeysingha also spoke against the "oppression" that LGBT people experience, paid tribute to activists and urged the community to participate in a national census.

Dr Wijeysingha did not reply to queries on Tuesday.

Observers like Associate Professor Reuben Wong from the National University of Singapore yesterday said Dr Wijeysingha's coming out sends a signal that SDP is "comfortable with being seen as one of the more liberal parties in Singapore".

Dr Wijeysingha's courage in coming out was praised by People's Action Party MP Baey Yam Keng. Asked if the move represents a shift in Singaporeans' acceptance of homosexuality, Mr Baey and Dr Wong felt it was hard to say how the silent majority felt but agreed that there has been a shift towards greater acceptance, especially among the young.

Associate Professor Eugene Tan from the Singapore Management University said while some voters might count Dr Wijeysingha's sexual orientation against him, "Singapore society has become a lot more accepting and there will be voters who will look at the total package that Dr Wijeysingha is".

singham

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Gay News: Dr Wijeysingha of SDP is first openly gay politician here, sparks debat

Nothing wrong and he should be applauded for his frankness.

AhGuan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Gay News: Dr Wijeysingha of SDP is first openly gay politician here, sparks debat

I wouldn't want to see the likes of Kurt Tay, Steven Lim or Kumar frolicking in the parliament. Would you ?

singham

Alfrescian
Loyal

but he isn't like that of kurt and gang, he is more composed but i think he is quite a deep person from his look.

I wouldn't want to see the likes of Kurt Tay, Steven Lim or Kumar frolicking in the parliament. Would you ?

AhGuan

Alfrescian
Loyal

but he isn't like that of kurt and gang, he is more composed but i think he is quite a deep person from his look.

Politically, Dr Wijeysingha is gone case. SDP will be dragged down because of him. He will still garner votes, but never enough to win a seat.

singham

Alfrescian
Loyal

i dun think so, i think he is quite a good talker. i respect him for his guts and he is better than boss, the ah neh...who switch sides like flipping prata.:p but of course, i am speaking from the views of a proud pap supporter.:o

Politically, Dr Wijeysingha is gone case. SDP will be dragged down because of him. He will still garner votes, but never enough to win a seat.

AhGuan

Alfrescian
Loyal

i dun think so, i think he is quite a good talker. i respect him for his guts and he is better than boss, the ah neh...who switch sides like flipping prata.:p but of course, i am speaking from the views of a proud pap supporter.:o

Fuck PAP :oIo:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
One day some PAP politicians will also come out of the closet.

It is only a big deal and a hoo-ha because an opposition party member (even more so from CSJ's SDP) is doing it.

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Err...I dunno if he is really "deep" unless I get it on with him.

leetahbah

Alfrescian
Loyal

Nothing to hide.

More than 21,000 people attended pink dot event. Thousands more stayed home. Dr Wijeysingha going public may benefit him during the elections.

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
What you guys think? This is the end for SDP?

on contrary, this is a very sinister and diabolical beginning for sdp. they know that the gays are growing in numbers. just look at this year pinkdot day at honglim -20K +

an estimated total population of the gay community in sgp now is about 300K+. that would be enough to garner votes to overturn some hopeless and useless mps.

even baey yam keng the closet gay has cum out to praise botakman vincent about his courage to cum out. so what do u think the best representative from the pap's camp be?

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
there is a very important vital clue that immortal lee almost unwittingly revealed. once he agreed on the gay issue and even sided it by saying that it was all in the genes and no fault of the gay person. he also hinted that sgp should try to leegalise it or if not at least liberalise it.

now go think deeper and probe deeperer..... why would lau lee suddenly so interested in this unmonetary issue?

ah.....look at pinky's mannerism and his handsome youngest loctor. u should roughly get the hint. got it?:biggrin:

leetahbah

Alfrescian
Loyal
What you guys think? This is the end for SDP?

Your attack on the SDP is baseless. There are many talented people who join the SDP and these are doctors, lawyers, engineers, accountants, etc. Some examples are Dr Vincent Wijeysingha, Assoc Prof Paul Ananth Tambyah, Dr Ang Yong Guan, Dr Cheng Shin Chuen (Consultant Surgeon), Dr Patrick Kee (Palliative Medicine), Dr Leong Yan Ho, Dr Neo Eak Chan, Dr Tan Lip Hong, Dr Toh Beng Chye, Dr Wong Wee Nam etc.

Poomer

Alfrescian
Loyal
on contrary, this is a very sinister and diabolical beginning for sdp. they know that the gays are growing in numbers. just look at this year pinkdot day at honglim -20K +

an estimated total population of the gay community in sgp now is about 300K+. that would be enough to garner votes to overturn some hopeless and useless mps.

even baey yam keng the closet gay has cum out to praise botakman vincent about his courage to cum out. so what do u think the best representative from the pap's camp be?

300K!!! Sodom and Gonorrhea :biggrin:

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
They will only come out when 377A is gone.

One day some PAP politicians will also come out of the closet.

It is only a big deal and a hoo-ha because an opposition party member (even more so from CSJ's SDP) is doing it.

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal

botakman and ding lawyer would definitely match such a loving compatible couple. :smile: