• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Sam Leong's band of brothers - cyclists

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Question.

Why in the world do they need to have so many cyclists competing in the race?

Mind you these people are all going at high speed.

It is like have a 100m sprint event with 50 runners crammed into the 100m track.

Or maybe 300 runners on the track for 400m race.

Or 200 cars for Daytona 500.

I dunno from a safety perspective it is just asking for it.

Sure cycling is generally so safe that if they crash no one dies. But really you cram until a crash happens means mass casualty/injuries. Who is the safety officer? Downright negligent if you ask me.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Question.

Why in the world do they need to have so many cyclists competing in the race?

Mind you these people are all going at high speed.

It is like have a 100m sprint event with 50 runners crammed into the 100m track.

Or maybe 300 runners on the track for 400m race.

Or 200 cars for Daytona 500.

I dunno from a safety perspective it is just asking for it.

Sure cycling is generally so safe that if they crash no one dies. But really you cram until a crash happens means mass casualty/injuries. Who is the safety officer? Downright negligent if you ask me.

Road cycling is a team sport. Each team has 8 riders. 20 teams therefore have160 riders.

For the TDF the top teams will have some guys for the mountains, some for the sprints on a flat stage and some for the lumpy stages.

Of course there is the cycling equivalent of the 100m sprint and that takes place on the velodrome not open roads.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Road cycling is a team sport. Each team has 8 riders. 20 teams therefore have160 riders.

For the TDF the top teams will have some guys for the mountains, some for the sprints on a flat stage and some for the lumpy stages.

Of course there is the cycling equivalent of the 100m sprint and that takes place on the velodrome not open roads.
I think they should reducec to 10 teams lah.

Seriously the road is overcrowded with them. Anyone with some sense will know it is an accident waiting to happen.

In big stadiums when the spectators leave the stadium at the staircases and exits they will always say dont run slow and steady. If people run.....very easy to have stampede.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

Seriously the road is overcrowded with them. Anyone with some sense will know it is an accident waiting to happen.

In big stadiums when the spectators leave the stadium at the staircases and exits they will always say dont run slow and steady. If people run.....very easy to have stampede.
Most of the other races are fine it’s only the TDF that has this problem of everyone wanting to be in front at the same time for the first few stages. That’s because there are so many jerseys up for grabs to start off with.

by stage 6 or 7 things will have calmed down.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Most of the other races are fine it’s only the TDF that has this problem of everyone wanting to be in front at the same time for the first few stages. That’s because there are so many jerseys up for grabs to start off with.

by stage 6 or 7 things will have calmed down.
any sinkie team made the cut so far?

LordElrond

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Tour de France is the most beautiful sport in humanity. It has been there for 104 years, stood the tests of times including 2 world wars. From time to time there are idiots who spoil the fun but TDF cyclists are tough people, they continue cycling for a 100km with blood dripping. One ever completed the ride with a broken collarbone. All these riders know the risks but the toughness is part of the game. Every other top riders have some serious injuries that took them out for months, but that will not deter them. To even get to the start line is a huge prestige. Take any of these riders, most of us can’t keep up with them for even a minute.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Tour de France is the most beautiful sport in humanity. It has been there for 104 years, stood the tests of times including 2 world wars. From time to time there are idiots who spoil the fun but TDF cyclists are tough people, they continue cycling for a 100km with blood dripping. One ever completed the ride with a broken collarbone. All these riders know the risks but the toughness is part of the game. Every other top riders have some serious injuries that took them out for months, but that will not deter them. To even get to the start line is a huge prestige. Take any of these riders, most of us can’t keep up with them for even a minute.

Well.....when one of the riders gets into a bad accident and dies....maybe they will relook it then.

It is always like that lah.

LordElrond

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Btw, traffic are not allowed on the roads during the race

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Btw, traffic are not allowed on the roads during the race
Oh that's a must!

But even without other cars look how dangerous the crowding is. I think it is too much really.

They can always do staggered starts and then rank them by time.

Split them into groups with different seeding etc.

There are ways lah.

Wah lau one guy falls and causes domino effecr and tens maybe hundreds crash?

This sort of thing happens on snow covered slick roads also. A car crashes or a Semi truck crashes then all the cars coming cant see and crash into the truck and then boom boom boom.

LordElrond

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
1624851497895.png

LordElrond

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Cyclists are not insured n no license...so how can the pedestrians be liable...it cuts both ways n now these cyclists got their just desserts... pay backs a bitch...
Tour De France is a race for real men, not pussies like you. At the end of yesterday’s stage 3 a rider was asked “was it the worse day your team has ever encountered”? The rider simply brushed it off by saying this is part and parcel of Tour de France, not new to him.
Chaos, Carnage and Mayhem at Pontivy:
1) Robert Gesink, Jumbo Visma captain - had to abandon race, pending hospital assessment
2) Jack Haig, Bahrain Victorious leader, had to abandon race, pending hospital assessment
3) Geraint Thomas, dislocated shoulder, fixed back, complete the remaining 100+km with just 26s down from winner
4) Primoz Roglich, potential winner, completed the race with half torn jersey, 3rd crash in 3 days
5) Peter Sagan and Caleb Ewan crashed 100m from finish, Ewan broke collarbone, race is over for him

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
The cycling terrorists at work

Fan who caused massive Tour de France crash arrested
Posted 6h
Play Video. Duration: 25 seconds
Fan takes out dozens of Tour riders with cardboard sign
A woman who caused a massive pile-up during the Tour de France's opening stage has been arrested after handing herself in to French police.

Key points:
The woman faces a fine, but could also be subject to further legal action
Two riders were forced to abandon cycling's biggest race after the crash
Defending champion Tadej Pogačar took control with a blistering performance in the stage five time trial
Footage showed her looking in the other direction, apparently at a camera, and not at the approaching peloton.

The woman, who was not publicly identified, was arrested by gendarmes in the Finistère region on Wednesday local time.

They tracked her down based on "solid" accounts from people questioned this week, local radio station France Bleu Finistère said, citing a source close to the probe.

The Reuters news agency said the woman had been arrested after handing herself into a police station.

A woman holds a cardboard sign in front of a group of cyclists.
The woman fled the scene after the crash.( Supplied )
Tour de France deputy director Pierre-Yves Thouault told the AFP news agency: "We are suing this woman who behaved so badly."

German rider Jasha Sütterlin was unable to continue the stage, abandoning the race, while Marc Soler completed the stage but was later revealed to have suffered fractures in both arms, meaning he too was forced to abandon.

Eight other riders were seen by the race doctor, while many others suffered minor injuries.

The woman is likely to be fined 1,500 euros for endangering the riders, although several of those affected have hinted at taking further action.

Soler told Spanish daily newspaper La Vanguardia that he was thinking of suing the spectator.

"I don't know what to do, I'm thinking of taking the spectator to court, because that's an entire Tour thrown away and I feel a lot of anger," he said.

"It wasn't just a race incident, it was because of a spectator who obviously doesn't like cycling. All that preparation has gone into the bin."

Local police refused to comment on the reported arrest.

Fans gathering on the sides of roads and in villages as riders pass by is part of the tradition and charm of the Tour.

But the woman in question leaned into the path of cyclists with her sign that read "Allez Opi-Omi," a mix of French and German-language terms of endearment for grandparents: "Go Grandpa-Grandma."

Tadej Pogačar powers to time trial victory, cements race favouritism
Tadej Pogacar sticks his tongue out while riding, wearing a white skin suit
Tadej Pogačar laid down a marker in the opening time trial of the race.( AP: Christophe Ena, Pool )
In the day's racing, Slovenian defending champion Tadej Pogačar took control with a blistering performance in the stage five time trial.

Pogačar, who stunned compatriot Primož Roglič in the penultiumate time trial stage of last year's race, laid down a serious marker for his rivals with a blistering time on the 27.2km-long ride around Changé.

"Today was a really good day for me. I didn't do any mistakes," Pogačar said.

The 22-year-old UAE Team Emirates leader did not seize the yellow jersey, which remains on the shoulders of Mathieu van der Poel by a mere 8 seconds.

But he gained significant time over his main rivals, completing the technical course in 32 minutes at an average speed of 51kph.

Pogačar was 44 seconds faster than Roglič, while 2018 champion Geraint Thomas dropped 1 minute, 18 seconds.

His Ineos Grenadiers teammate Richard Carapaz, a former Giro champion with big ambitions at the Tour this year, was 1:44 off the pace.

Mathieu Van Der Poel rides with his mouth open, wearing a yellow skin suit
Mathieu van der Poel emptied the tank to stay in yellow for another day.( AP: Christophe Ena, Pool )
Their Australian teammate Richie Porte fared better, losing just 55 seconds, but as he lost significant time during the crash-marred Brittany stages earlier in the race, he still sits 3 minutes , 50 seconds off the pace overall.

The Tour is a race of attrition and remains wide open, with bigger tests to come in the mountain stages of the Alps and Pyrenees.

However, Pogačar proved last year — when he became the second-youngest winner in the race's history — that he can compete with the best climbers.

In addition, he has a stronger team this year, and the Tour is less mountainous.

More importantly, another long time trial will be on the program on the eve of the finish on the Champs-Élysées.

Roglič, who was Pogacar's main rival last year, said he was proud of his performance following his heavy crash two days earlier.

"It's hard, definitely. All the time trials are always very painful, let's say it like that," he said.

Thomas was also recovering from a crash and said he did the best he could.

"Obviously, I didn't feel 100 per cent, but I don't want to bang on about that, I tried to do what I could and it wasn't enough really," he said.

"I woke up this morning and felt terrible, but once I got going and loosened up it was better. It's just one of those things that you have to crack on and deal with — just keep fighting I guess."

ABC/wires

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The cycling terrorists at work

Fan who caused massive Tour de France crash arrested
Posted 6h
Play Video. Duration: 25 seconds
Fan takes out dozens of Tour riders with cardboard sign
A woman who caused a massive pile-up during the Tour de France's opening stage has been arrested after handing herself in to French police.

Key points:
The woman faces a fine, but could also be subject to further legal action
Two riders were forced to abandon cycling's biggest race after the crash
Defending champion Tadej Pogačar took control with a blistering performance in the stage five time trial
Footage showed her looking in the other direction, apparently at a camera, and not at the approaching peloton.

The woman, who was not publicly identified, was arrested by gendarmes in the Finistère region on Wednesday local time.

They tracked her down based on "solid" accounts from people questioned this week, local radio station France Bleu Finistère said, citing a source close to the probe.

The Reuters news agency said the woman had been arrested after handing herself into a police station.

A woman holds a cardboard sign in front of a group of cyclists.
The woman fled the scene after the crash.( Supplied )
Tour de France deputy director Pierre-Yves Thouault told the AFP news agency: "We are suing this woman who behaved so badly."

German rider Jasha Sütterlin was unable to continue the stage, abandoning the race, while Marc Soler completed the stage but was later revealed to have suffered fractures in both arms, meaning he too was forced to abandon.

Eight other riders were seen by the race doctor, while many others suffered minor injuries.

The woman is likely to be fined 1,500 euros for endangering the riders, although several of those affected have hinted at taking further action.

Soler told Spanish daily newspaper La Vanguardia that he was thinking of suing the spectator.

"I don't know what to do, I'm thinking of taking the spectator to court, because that's an entire Tour thrown away and I feel a lot of anger," he said.

"It wasn't just a race incident, it was because of a spectator who obviously doesn't like cycling. All that preparation has gone into the bin."

Local police refused to comment on the reported arrest.

Fans gathering on the sides of roads and in villages as riders pass by is part of the tradition and charm of the Tour.

But the woman in question leaned into the path of cyclists with her sign that read "Allez Opi-Omi," a mix of French and German-language terms of endearment for grandparents: "Go Grandpa-Grandma."

Tadej Pogačar powers to time trial victory, cements race favouritism
Tadej Pogacar sticks his tongue out while riding, wearing a white skin suit
Tadej Pogačar laid down a marker in the opening time trial of the race.( AP: Christophe Ena, Pool )
In the day's racing, Slovenian defending champion Tadej Pogačar took control with a blistering performance in the stage five time trial.

Pogačar, who stunned compatriot Primož Roglič in the penultiumate time trial stage of last year's race, laid down a serious marker for his rivals with a blistering time on the 27.2km-long ride around Changé.

"Today was a really good day for me. I didn't do any mistakes," Pogačar said.

The 22-year-old UAE Team Emirates leader did not seize the yellow jersey, which remains on the shoulders of Mathieu van der Poel by a mere 8 seconds.

But he gained significant time over his main rivals, completing the technical course in 32 minutes at an average speed of 51kph.

Pogačar was 44 seconds faster than Roglič, while 2018 champion Geraint Thomas dropped 1 minute, 18 seconds.

His Ineos Grenadiers teammate Richard Carapaz, a former Giro champion with big ambitions at the Tour this year, was 1:44 off the pace.

Mathieu Van Der Poel rides with his mouth open, wearing a yellow skin suit
Mathieu van der Poel emptied the tank to stay in yellow for another day.( AP: Christophe Ena, Pool )
Their Australian teammate Richie Porte fared better, losing just 55 seconds, but as he lost significant time during the crash-marred Brittany stages earlier in the race, he still sits 3 minutes , 50 seconds off the pace overall.

The Tour is a race of attrition and remains wide open, with bigger tests to come in the mountain stages of the Alps and Pyrenees.

However, Pogačar proved last year — when he became the second-youngest winner in the race's history — that he can compete with the best climbers.

In addition, he has a stronger team this year, and the Tour is less mountainous.

More importantly, another long time trial will be on the program on the eve of the finish on the Champs-Élysées.

Roglič, who was Pogacar's main rival last year, said he was proud of his performance following his heavy crash two days earlier.

"It's hard, definitely. All the time trials are always very painful, let's say it like that," he said.

Thomas was also recovering from a crash and said he did the best he could.

"Obviously, I didn't feel 100 per cent, but I don't want to bang on about that, I tried to do what I could and it wasn't enough really," he said.

"I woke up this morning and felt terrible, but once I got going and loosened up it was better. It's just one of those things that you have to crack on and deal with — just keep fighting I guess."

ABC/wires
is she a tiongbu? wuhan whore?