• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat SAF captain claims trial over death of NSF in Bionix accident

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
SAF captain claims trial over death of NSF in Bionix accident

Ong Lin Jie, an SAF captain, allegedly failed to keep a 30m safety distance between his vehicle and the Bionix. TNP FILE PHOTO

The Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) captain charged over his role in the incident that led to the death of full-time national serviceman Liu Kai will be contesting the matter.

Regular serviceman Ong Lin Jie, 28, was in court yesterday with his lawyer, who said that the officer will be claiming trial.

A pre-trial conference is slated for Dec 23. Ong was charged last month with committing a rash act causing death.

He had allegedly failed to keep a safety distance of 30m between the Land Rover that he and Corporal First Class (CFC) Liu were in and a Bionix infantry fighting vehicle.

The Bionix reversed and mounted the driver's side of the Land Rover during a training exercise at Murai Urban Training Facility on Nov 3 last year.

CFC Liu, a 22-year-old transport operator from SAF's Transport Hub West, was then driving Ong, who is from the Active Unit Training Centre.

The captain was there to evaluate the exercise troops. The 42nd Battalion Singapore Armoured Regiment was conducting a two-sided company mission exercise that day.

CFC Liu died after the Bionix, despite repeated commands by its rear guide to stop, mounted the Land Rover.

If convicted, Ong could be jailed for up to five years or fined, or both.

songsongjurong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ong Lin Jie, class of 2011 (SAF (Local) Study Award): Lin Jie is an undergraduate student with NTU, pursuing a degree in Life Sciences.

knowwhatyouwantinlife

Alfrescian
Loyal
If he is not guilty why is he masking himself? Go out to work already black mark across public and civil service liao...you cant beat the "courts"...still can drive grab and grab food

songsongjurong

Alfrescian
Loyal
the other 4 heroic and valiant whistleblower were not masked by media,instead, thrown under the bus.. by SAF....and PAP

SAF would have absolved theimselve of their own safety lapse and swept under carpet.

- pnned blame on NS slave Liu Kai
- non compensation to deceased family
- all saf fat cats untouched

the next new SG govt. must repeal their sentence and pay due compensation for their undue stress and suffering.

Our valiant sons of SG soil
nz_leaked_261019_0.jpg

Valium

Alfrescian
Loyal
the other 4 heroic and valiant whistleblower were not masked by media,instead, thrown under the bus.. by SAF....and PAP

SAF would have absolved theimselve of their own safety lapse and swept under carpet.

the next new SG govt. must repeal their sentence and pay due compensation for their undue stress and suffering.

nz_leaked_261019_0.jpg

These kids exposed the chaocheebyeness of SAF.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That kapitan is being throw under the bus by saf. A military court would be more fair as TSRs are known to the occifers. Civilian court dunno head dunno tail confirm use “outside” logic on the case. Is AUTC part of Armour or just an evaluation center where it evaluators come from all vocations? Is this 30m rule known to him? It an accident but make a scapegoat out of him is unfair.

I know the driver is dead but why he didn’t get out of the way when BX is reversing? The BX VC also at fault for not making sure nothing is behind when ordered BX driver to reverse. Or the BX driver reversed without order? And I haven’t even started on the safety and conducting occifers. It a string of mistakes that that caused the accident.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
If he is not guilty why is he masking himself? Go out to work already black mark across public and civil service liao...you cant beat the "courts"...still can drive grab and grab food

U don't know the SAF, that much is obvious. His case has already been determined even before he stepped into the court. He is going to be found guilty. And because he claimed trail, he will get hit with a worse punishment then if he had just do what they ask him, which is to plead guilty.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
That kapitan is being throw under the bus by saf. A military court would be more fair as TSRs are known to the occifers. Civilian court dunno head dunno tail confirm use “outside” logic on the case. Is AUTC part of Armour or just an evaluation center where it evaluators come from all vocations? Is this 30m rule known to him? It an accident but make a scapegoat out of him is unfair.

I know the driver is dead but why he didn’t get out of the way when BX is reversing? The BX VC also at fault for not making sure nothing is behind when ordered BX driver to reverse. Or the BX driver reversed without order? And I haven’t even started on the safety and conducting occifers. It a string of mistakes that that caused the accident.

Not exactly. A military court is just as bad as a civilian court, in many cases, worse. There is a 3 judge panel. Only 2 of them actually need to be qualified lawyers. And these 2 are usually circuit court or lower court judges doing their reservist. The 3rd judge is an NS regular, who summarize the case for the 2 judges behind the scene and tell them what the punishment is. Because this Capt. defied the SAF and claim trial, he will be whacked to the max. The same judge he sees in the civil court is likely the same judge in the military court.

This is not a case of TSR. In fact, to my recollection, there is no TSR that states that there is a minimum safety distance of 30m. The 30m distance makes no difference if you are directly behind the AFV. When I was safety officer, we always park at an offset angle to the AFV or tank. That makes sure that even if the AFV reverses suddenly, they have to turn and reverse at the same time to get to you. Not likely to happen. In fact, we used to keep as little as a 10m distance or less, but we would be almost parallel to the AFV. SO, no chance of being run over, even if the AFV reversed.

The blame on this whole shit scene can be laid on the head of some scholar SAF Genital who thought it was a good idea to re-organize and centralize everything. I don't know whether it was to save money or be more efficient, but I believe it was done to create more post to park more jiakliobee scholars. This re-organization resulted in the SAF Transport Hubs and in the AUTC.

First the SAF Transport hubs. There are 2 of them, East and West. I guess the theory is that if all soft skinned vehicles like land rovers, 3 tonners, etc and their drivers can be consolidated in 2 locations, then its easier to indent them and draw them out when required. In the old days, all land rovers, unimogs, 3 tonners, etc needed for an armour exercise was drawn from the own armour unit's MT line. This drivers and their vehicles are all located in the same armour camp. These drivers only drive for the armour unit and no one else, hence they are familiar around AFVs and tanks. They know how to keep a safe distance even without a TSR. They know how quickly AFVs can move and how blind they are. In fact, when I am in this position, I keep my jeep or land rover in reverse gear, because I know the armour vehicle has to move out quickly. Speed is one of the evaluation criteria. In all my years in the SAF, I have never seen a vehicle get reversed into like in this case. If the driver is not from the Armour formation, and he was just pulled out of the Transport Hub, he will not know anything about all these safety requirements. And this is how this accident happened. No driver in my Armour units would park themselves behind a AFV this way, even if the vehicle commander ordered him to do so.

Second, the AUTC. I have no idea what the fuck this unit is. I am guessing once again, its a centralized unit that sends staff out to oversee the training of SAF combat units. But unless you are from the armour formation, u don't and can't know shit about training an armour unit. In fact, there are more then enough qualified personnel at Armour Training Institute and SOA to conduct this sort of training. I don't know if this Capt is from Armour. But I suspect not. when I was in the SAF, our own officers are the ones that accompany their AFVs and Tanks in this sort of a dry run or live firing exercise. We don't use outside personnel from AUTC or anywhere else. But its likely that this Capt is not an armour trained officer and hence his unfamiliarity with AFVs contributed to this tragedy.

The setting up of these transport hubs and AUTC basically is duplicating what is already in existence. But they create additional commands for scholars to be put in. Unfortunately, in this case, some poor guy paid for it with his life.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
U don't know the SAF, that much is obvious. His case has already been determined even before he stepped into the court. He is going to be found guilty. And because he claimed trail, he will get hit with a worse punishment then if he had just do what they ask him, which is to plead guilty.
I didn’t know he claimed trial. Military Court confirm can cover up so make saf come out smell like roses. Saf happy the kapitan go kranji physical training 30 days contract continue. Now confirm PT training longer plus discharge upon release.

As u know I only trooperkia but I too never heard of the 30m rule. I being trained never stand directly behind ALL army vehicles at all time other than boarding or alighting. When within 10m of vehicle in the field, stand up let the driver or VC see when in open area. Safety more important than tactical. When in doubt, just stand up and nobody will scold. Never take cover at roadside, move in 5m so that don’t be in the way when vehicles suddenly take evasive action. In armour battalions, vehicle safety is very important. Must always respect the size of the vehicle and know the drivers are half blind driving the damn vehicle. I remember armour battalions local evaluations were conduct by brigade and ACTC and rovers drivers were from armour MT lines. But toward the last few ICTs, can see senior occifers who came to see see look look at the field were driven around by Filipinos.

rushifa666

Alfrescian
Loyal

nz_leaked_261019_0.jpg
Liu kai parents vote for who? Liu kai wins! Fatality!

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I didn’t know he claimed trial. Military Court confirm can cover up so make saf come out smell like roses. Saf happy the kapitan go kranji physical training 30 days contract continue. Now confirm PT training longer plus discharge upon release.

As u know I only trooperkia but I too never heard of the 30m rule. I being trained never stand directly behind ALL army vehicles at all time other than boarding or alighting. When within 10m of vehicle in the field, stand up let the driver or VC see when in open area. Safety more important than tactical. When in doubt, just stand up and nobody will scold. Never take cover at roadside, move in 5m so that don’t be in the way when vehicles suddenly take evasive action. In armour battalions, vehicle safety is very important. Must always respect the size of the vehicle and know the drivers are half blind driving the damn vehicle. I remember armour battalions local evaluations were conduct by brigade and ACTC and rovers drivers were from armour MT lines. But toward the last few ICTs, can see senior occifers who came to see see look look at the field were driven around by Filipinos.

We have Filipinos in the SAF? We have a foreign legions now? or soon you will say, driven by the Ah Neh from Pondicherry? Did the PAP says, not so long ago that NS is PRIVILEGE? so, it is. a Privilege & honour to die in the line of duty to the Nation or is it to PAP?