• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Rogue trader is sorry

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Saturday, Aug 06, 2011
AFP

20110806.124431_nick.jpg

Rogue trader Nick Leeson finally tells boss 'sorry'
blank.gif
LONDON - Rogue trader Nick Leeson for the first time told his old boss "sorry" for single-handedly bringing down Barings Bank, in a face-to-face meeting to be broadcast Sunday.

Peter Norris told Leeson he wanted to punch his "lights out" as the scale of his deeds emerged.

Leeson's risk-taking deals bankrupted Britain's Barings Bank in 1995 after losing $1.3 billion (S$1.576 billion) on bond derivatives.

"Remorse is a word that is bandied around an awful lot, but I am sorry and my apology to Peter is genuine," Leeson said on the BBC radio programme "The Reunion".

Leeson was given a jail term of six-and-a-half years in Singapore for illegally concealing trading losses and served four years of his sentence.

He admitted he did not know whether his apology would "make any difference".
Leeson took ever greater risks in an attempt to recoup his losses, which spiralled out of control.

He went on the run, leaving a note on his desk reading "sorry". He was brought back to Singapore to face trial. While in prison he was diagnosed as suffering from colon cancer and his first marriage broke down.

After his conviction Leeson wrote a bestseller, "Rogue Trader", which was made into a film starring Ewan McGregor.

"I was losing tens of millions of pounds (dollars) on a daily basis," he said.

"Towards the end it could have been more - hundreds of millions. I was blinkered, attempting to extract myself from the situation. I never thought that the bank would collapse. I didn't even know what the bank was worth."

Norris, who had not met Leeson since the bank's collapse, recalled seeing the first television pictures of him being taken into custody at Frankfurt airport in 1995.

He told him: "I think I wanted to punch your lights out".

What remained of Barings, which counted Queen Elizabeth II among its customers, was bought by the Dutch group ING for a nominal fee of one pound.

<tbody>
</tbody>

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Rogue Trader a HERO... truly, who won't be tempted when they have such huge powers to trade?

Back in 95 when the Barings scandal was the headline news, I was just about to go for my degree. Nick Leeson became the hero for my friends and I. In fact, that was why I busted my ass to get a second major in finance.

HedgeTrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
Back in 95 when the Barings scandal was the headline news, I was just about to go for my degree. Nick Leeson became the hero for my friends and I. In fact, that was why I busted my ass to get a second major in finance.

Nick Leeson majored in nothing. He's A-Levels only.

Sperminator

Alfrescian
Loyal
since Options thrive in a volatile market... don't you traders here think it's a good time to stash USD 15K for trading in Options? Blue Chips Stocks Options only.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
since Options thrive in a volatile market... don't you traders here think it's a good time to stash USD 15K for trading in Options? Blue Chips Stocks Options only.

I've suspended myself from all market trading since the crash in 08.. only been doing special deals since. Not following the market lately because my day job's been taking up too much time.

HedgeTrader

Alfrescian
Loyal

There's no such thing as a thriving options market just because the underlying stock market is volatile or not. Depends on whether you're on the call side or put side. In a one-sided bull run or one-sided bear run, taking the wrong side can mean wipe out and run road because liquidity and volume on your counterparty side ran for safety too.

Sperminator

Alfrescian
Loyal
can consider taking up Short Positions for USD... with QE3 in effect, USD will surely lose value, but not crash... many nay sayers say that USD will crash, I still doubt that this will happen.

HedgeTrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
can consider taking up Short Positions for USD... with QE3 in effect, USD will surely lose value, but not crash... many nay sayers say that USD will crash, I still doubt that this will happen.

My USD target is S$1.10 by year-end 2011, but step-by-step. Trade bit by bit. Accept and take loss when I'm wrong. Also disclaimer, in this forum, I discuss, I don't give advice. You make up your own mind. Don't need to pay me if you win and also don't blame me if you lose.

Last edited:

Sperminator

Alfrescian
Loyal
My USD target is S$1.10 by year-end 2011, but step-by-step. Trade bit by bit. Accept and take loss when I'm wrong. Also disclaimer, in this forum, I discuss, I don't give advice. You make up your own mind. Don't need to pay me if you win and also don't blame me if you lose.

My view is USD : RMB will move from USD 1 : RMB 6.44XX to maximum USD 1 : RMB 5.5XXX till end of this year... we are all witnessing a massive fraud going on, and nobody can do anything... inflating away your debts is the same as stealing...

HedgeTrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
My view is USD : RMB will move from USD 1 : RMB 6.44XX to maximum USD 1 : RMB 5.5XXX till end of this year... we are all witnessing a massive fraud going on, and nobody can do anything... inflating away your debts is the same as stealing...

Agree. On the short side, hitting S$1.00 parity will be a bonus, but S$1.10 is good enough to expect. S$ also must track RMB within brackets. Cannot fall too low for the sake of US$ because the imported inflation and the imported PRC labour.

Sperminator

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree. On the short side, hitting S$1.00 parity will be a bonus, but S$1.10 is good enough to expect. S$ also must track RMB within brackets. Cannot fall too low for the sake of US$ because the imported inflation and the imported PRC labour.

Actually it is not an absolutely bad thing for this to happen. It will be cheaper to import from USA, or in China case, to massively import cheaper materials, and stock them up for all over the world.

For Singaporean, it'll be cheaper for Internet Transactions for buying stuffs online, especially those items quoted in Dollar.

Whereas for the case of EURO, it's adios amigos for good... the domino effect is happening... by 2012, EURO will be decimated, and all EURO Union will fall back to their own currency systems...

And USD is still here to stay... just lower in value only, as it got the Petroleum, and OPEC nations, to support it's value through the Petroleum Recycled Dollar Scam.

USD CANNOT CRASH. If it did, the world economy will go down with it...

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
yucks! you horrible blowjob monster!

I've suspended myself from all blow jobs since the the last one in 08.. only been doing special blow jobs since. Not following the market lately because my day's blow job's been taking up too much time.