• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Rig toppled in Shipyard

wMulew

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: JUST IN: Major incident at Jurong Shipyard

All the opposition supporting retards complaining about how this is FT fuck. Remember the Nicoll Highway incident? It was local engineer's negligence that caused it. Hotel New World disaster, nothing to do with FTs :oIo::oIo::oIo:

Last edited:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
you cannot expect lau jiao in their 60s and 70s to continue working in such conditions. younger generation sinkies would not step up to the plate. there's nothing wrong with shipyards thinking ahead, plan long term, and continually phasing out workers within their desired age (and health and physical condition) range.

We are not talking about those in their 60's, 70's or even 80's, who had been working at Keppel yards in the wharves or those from the British naval Bases or the various shipyards dotted all over SINgapore, Tanjong Rhu etc.. These people are retired & many were slowly phased out over the years. There are few or almost negligible number of SINgaporeans working as blue collared Shipyard workers, for even the uneducated ones shun the job for reasons we already know.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Possible.. I personally know of this local Mat with 10 years of experience as freelance diver.. Back then he was paid at least $500 for a salvage project.. The project can be between 2 weeks to a few months depending on the magnitude of the job.. But its very high risk being divers..

There was this Malay chap who used to do freelance diving jobs for my old company.. He was killed by a vessel propeller while he was diving to do some repairs on the propeller years ago.. The vessel was then at Eastern Anchorage.. His body was found few days later at a Batam beach..

I know one Pinoy who died, was part of the group of divers consisting of Filipinoes & Thais, very hard working chap, died while working in a dive to do some maintenance work for a ship anchored.

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
Oh pls lah.. I wonder if you ever step foot in a shipyard before.. Back then in the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s, our Marine Industry consisted mostly of our local Sporeans.. You can find all Sporeans of various races workin as Foremen, riggers, welders, electricians, yard crane operators..

They were the ones that make our shipyards prosper.. From Keppel to Sembawang shipyards, the local workers were the ones that slogged it out hard under the hot sun onboard the many foreign vessels that were berthed in these shipyards for maintenance service..
You're giving too much credit to these India Kelings Marine Engineers, Project Engineers workin in our local shipyards.. Many locals workin there know that these Kelings only know how to talk.. But when it comes to getting their hands dirty and do real work, you can see the '' true capabilities '' of these FT Kelings..

Why I know how these Kelings work? Thats because I'm from the Marine Industry and I had personally work with some of these FT Kelings before..
hahaha......u claimed to be in the marine industry but not sure u know what u are talking about........
in the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s.......where got bangalas and indians???
many shipyard workers were of course were locals or Malaysians......then came the Chinese, Indians and Bangalas...
of course there is a sprinkling of pinoys and myamese....
it has nothing to do with credits as this is evolution of time and you have to face the reality.......
you can hardly find any more Malaysian welders (those still in the industry are now foremen/supervisors).....don't even talk about Singaporeans.
Sources of skilled workers are drying up as there is competition for skilled workers worldwide......many of the workers now are have never worked in a shipyard before arriving in Singapore.
In all the big yards......more than 95% of the workersare sub-contractor workers....
there are still some foremen/supervisors in their fifties and sixties around...but they will not be around for long
the future is really a concern as there is a big gap...
It is not just pay and pay......Singaporeans simply do not want to work as Shipyard workers because.....long working hours (7 days week), harsh and dangerous environment, ulu locations, etc....etc.....
When I got time, I will elaborate more on various aspects of shipyard operations.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
hahaha......u claimed to be in the marine industry but not sure u know what u are talking about........
many shipyard workers were of course were locals or Malaysians......then came the Chinese, Indians and Bangalas...
it has nothing to do with credits as this is evolution of time and you have to face the reality.......
you can hardly find any more Malaysian welders (those still in the industry are now foremen/supervisors).....don't even talk about Singaporeans.
Sources of skilled workers are drying up as there is competition for skilled workers worldwide......many of the workers now are have never worked in a shipyard before arriving in Singapore.
In all the big yards......more than 95% of the workersare sub-contractor workers....
there are still some foremen/supervisors in their fifties and sixties around...but they will not be around for long
It is not just pay and pay......Singaporeans simply do not want to work as Shipyard workers because.....long working hours (7 days week), harsh and dangerous environment, ulu locations, etc....etc.....
When I got time, I will elaborate more on various aspects of shipyard operations.

"kukubird" from the MT Industry?? Interesting...

sirus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you step inside JSL, you turn to your right, you'll see a Keling.. Turn to your left will be another Keling.. All these Kelings are from India.. JSL deserves it for makin that place into a haven for the India Kelings..
That's why they name the road: Tanjung Keling.

t123

Alfrescian
Loyal
SINGAPORE: The Migrant Workers' Centre (MWC) has assured workers injured in Monday's rig accident at Jurong Shipyard that they'll get the assistance they'll need.

It said in a statement on Tuesday that it's confident that their employer will do all that's necessary to see to their needs in this critical time.

MWC said it's in touch with the Manpower Ministry on the provision of assistance.

Eighty-nine workers were injured in the accident on Monday, when a jack-up rig that was being constructed tilted to one side.

MWC was set up in 2009 by the National Trades Union Congress and the Singapore National Employers Federation to improve the welfare of migrant workers in Singapore.

- CNA/ck

They will help workers find lawyers, advice them to look injured, go MOM ask for compensation. It happened where I am working now. Especially the Bangladeshis, better actors than the bollywood ones

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Where the hell in my post where I said there were Bangla and Indians working in our local Marine Industry back in the 60s, 70s?

lorrydriver

Alfrescian
Loyal

Lucky Plaza collapse next week. Peninsular Plaza next....

all filipino maids will strike on monday after singapore wins the semi-final match AFF Suzuki Cup from a penalty awarded to Singapore from an obvious dive, then we see how....no one carry full pack to bus stop for boy-boy, no one iron shirts for sir, no one cook dinner

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

all filipino maids will strike on monday after singapore wins the semi-final match AFF Suzuki Cup from a penalty awarded to Singapore from an obvious dive, then we see how....no one carry full pack to bus stop for boy-boy, no one iron shirts for sir, no one cook dinner

don't forget no one to carry the NS boy alibaba bag when they book out too.

Mammoth

Madras farker was a slimy snake.. Will supervise his workers till lunch time.. After lunch time will sit at Gul Rd coffeshop with his fellow Keling buddy till 4 pm.. When asked where he went, he would claim to have a meeting with a supplier

Snakey indeed. irresponsible. a dangerous dude to work with.

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[h=2]Oh PM Lee, how could you have said that about Jurong Shipyard accident?[/h]
PostDateIcon.png
December 4th, 2012 |
PostAuthorIcon.png
Author: Contributions

lhl2.jpg
PM Lee on Jurong Shipyard accident: "But could have been worse..."

I was taken aback and appalled when I read a quote made by PM Lee in the New Paper today regarding the tragic Jurong Shipyard accident. He said “My sympathies to all those injured in the Jurong Shipyard accident. It was a serious accident, BUT COULD HAVE BEEN WORSE…“!
What the…??? How could he have said those words? And as a country’s leader too? What was his intention by adding those few unnecessary heartless words? Is it to tell the workers they should count themselves lucky it wasn’t worse? Gee, Thanks Prime Minister.
Many reasons can be cited as to why those extra words were added in his comment, such as perhaps to minimise blame. But still, did he not have any heart or good common sense as a Prime Minister not to say them even if they were crafted by an unthinking Corp Comms adviser and a kiasu ministry?
Seriously, an accident is still an accident and some 90 people were injured as the more than 1,000 workers scrambled to flee the tilting rig via ONE measly single-file gangway. Sembawang Marine, the GLC which owns the shipyard should have done much better in taking care of the workers’ safety by providing proper gangways for them. First SMRT’s strike by unhappy PRC drivers, and now Sembawang Marine’s accident.
Are lowly paid workers worth so little that employers can’t invest more to give them better care?
Jentrified Citizen
* The writer blogs at http://jentrifiedcitizen.wordpress.com/

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

You mean they won't eat Longanisa & say, "mahal, sarap"?? wahhh!!:biggrin: