• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Rig toppled in Shipyard

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Is there any singaporean..who want to get dirty to to do that shipyard work.. you should b thankful that singapore can still run these shipyards ..if not for these lowlife indians it would have closed for long..

Oh pls lah.. I wonder if you ever step foot in a shipyard before.. Back then in the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s, our Marine Industry consisted mostly of our local Sporeans.. You can find all Sporeans of various races workin as Foremen, riggers, welders, electricians, yard crane operators..

They were the ones that make our shipyards prosper.. From Keppel to Sembawang shipyards, the local workers were the ones that slogged it out hard under the hot sun onboard the many foreign vessels that were berthed in these shipyards for maintenance service..

You're giving too much credit to these India Kelings Marine Engineers, Project Engineers workin in our local shipyards.. Many locals workin there know that these Kelings only know how to talk.. But when it comes to getting their hands dirty and do real work, you can see the '' true capabilities '' of these FT Kelings..

Why I know how these Kelings work? Thats because I'm from the Marine Industry and I had personally work with some of these FT Kelings before..

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Oh pls lah.. I wonder if you ever step foot in a shipyard before.. Back then in the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s, our Marine Industry consisted mostly of our local Sporeans.. You can find all Sporeans of various races workin as Foremen, riggers, welders, electricians, yard crane operators..

They were the ones that make our shipyards prosper.. From Keppel to Sembawang shipyards, the local workers were the ones that slogged it out hard under the hot sun onboard the many foreign vessels that were berthed in these shipyards for maintenance service..

You're giving too much credit to these India Kelings Marine Engineers, Project Engineers workin in our local shipyards.. Many locals workin there know that these Kelings only know how to talk.. But when it comes to getting their hands dirty and do real work, you can see the '' true capabilities '' of these FT Kelings..

Why I know how these Kelings work? Thats because I'm from the Marine Industry and I had personally work with some of these FT Kelings before..

These people don't know, talk 'cock" only...they have not worked or managed these "kek Lengs" before...they should see how their tongue slide from left to right, when they screw up big time & still insist they are right..had been in your industry for a while.. I know! hmmmm!!

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
These people don't know, talk 'cock" only...they have not worked or managed these "kek Lengs" before...they should see how their tongue slide from left to right, when they screw up big time & still insist they are right..had been in your industry for a while.. I know! hmmmm!!

Agree.. My company employed a Marine Engineer before from Keling Land.. Madras farker was a slimy snake.. Will supervise his workers till lunch time.. After lunch time will sit at Gul Rd coffeshop with his fellow Keling buddy till 4 pm.. When asked where he went, he would claim to have a meeting with a supplier.. Bloody snake.. Thankfully he was out within 1 year..

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Hehehe. How can you miss this thread? :smile:

Heard there are also lots of Pinoy and Indo FT in SG/Batam yards now. So far, feedback from these 2 groups of FT not bad.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Agree.. My company employed a Marine Engineer before from Keling Land.. Madras farker was a slimy snake.. Will supervise his workers till lunch time.. After lunch time will sit at Gul Rd coffeshop with his fellow Keling buddy till 4 pm.. When asked where he went, he would claim to have a meeting with a supplier.. Bloody snake.. Thankfully he was out within 1 year..

Gul Rd Coffee shop..can't that "snake" hide somewhere deep in Tuas?...ha ha ha "meeting with supplier"..most likely involve in other "business" other than company's or using company as business...called "connection" like selling "food packages" to his own Country man, taking a cut for commission, money lending, selling "spares" he get his hands on, or siphoning off diesel....the list goes on! ha ha ha

Last edited:

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Heard there are also lots of Pinoy and Indo FT in SG/Batam yards now. So far, feedback from these 2 groups of FT not bad.

Yes you're right.. One example is the diving industry here.. Last time mostly local Mats who will work as divers.. Now Pinoy divers aplenty workin in our Marine Industry.. Indons, guys from Sarawak also alot now workin the yards.. But so far I got no problems workin with them..

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes you're right.. One example is the diving industry here.. Last time mostly local Mats who will work as divers.. Now Pinoy divers aplenty workin in our Marine Industry.. Indons, guys from Sarawak also alot now workin the yards.. But so far I got no problems workin with them..

can a diver make $5-6k a month?

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Left this industry for some time liaoz. :wink: Hope something is done about the safety. Me used to work alongside with these workers in the same environment so I understand the dangers.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Depend on the hours and the additional skills. If diver cum certified welder, will be much much more. If work in production rigs, even more. And they also get paid on their rest days.

But don't forget that divers got problem with nitrogen levels in their blood so not possible to do the same job after certain years in the industry.

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

True, I know a Singapore company that bought over 3 shipyards in Batam.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Possible.. I personally know of this local Mat with 10 years of experience as freelance diver.. Back then he was paid at least $500 for a salvage project.. The project can be between 2 weeks to a few months depending on the magnitude of the job.. But its very high risk being divers..

There was this Malay chap who used to do freelance diving jobs for my old company.. He was killed by a vessel propeller while he was diving to do some repairs on the propeller years ago.. The vessel was then at Eastern Anchorage.. His body was found few days later at a Batam beach..

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Possible.. I personally know of this local Mat with 10 years of experience as freelance diver.. Back then he was paid at least $300 a day for a salvage project.. The project can be between 2 weeks to a few months depending on the magnitude of the job.. But its very high risk being divers..

There was this Malay chap who used to do freelance diving jobs for my old company.. He was killed by a vessel propeller while he was diving to do some repairs on the propeller years ago.. The vessel was then at Eastern Anchorage.. His body was found few days later at a Batam beach..

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Possible.. I personally know of this local Mat with 10 years of experience as freelance diver.. Back then he was paid at least $500 for a salvage project.. The project can be between 2 weeks to a few months depending on the magnitude of the job.. But its very high risk being divers..

Sorry.. He was paid $300 to $500 a day for his diving job..

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
a malay friend told me his uncle work as a diver. uncle boast my friend that he make ard $8k a month yet he staying in a hdb rental flat. so freelance =undeclared income aka unemployed.

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
a malay friend told me his uncle work as a diver. uncle boast my friend that he make ard $8k a month yet he staying in a hdb rental flat. so freelance =undeclared income aka unemployed.

The job is so dangerous that they are not insured. This is what I heard. No wonder they are paid well as after a certain number of years, before 40 they cannot work as a diver any longer.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

This Mat freelance diver that I knew is presently driving a Forester.. Staying in a 3 rm flat.. Married with 2 wives.. One in Sinkie Land and another young wife in Tanjong Pinang.. But now he cannot do many diving jobs as there are problem with his right ear and competition from the Pinoy divers..

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

that should be the way. those got cert, sit in office blow air con use brain to work and earn his keep.

those no cert learn a skill, work hard facing the adversity of the climate and earn his keep.

both also can make money or even good money for the risk involved. not like now, no choice. all lanlan must get degree, then those cannot study one all cannot earn a living. then mom said this is structural unemployment. let our people do all these job like last time with good pay. where got structural unemployment? simi lanjiao si structural unemployment! can make good money people will go in and learn the trade. that means last time economy more developed than now? more varieties of jobs with good pay compare to now. now security guards, cleaners, utensil collectors only. take your pick.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You are very wrong, I have spoken to two ex-retired shipyards BLUE COLLARED workers who lived near me, men in their late 60's to 70's, weather wizened face, sun browned tight skins, shuffling around, but still tough,interesting to hear then talk about their days in the shipyards & tales on how they were phased out, our own people for they were getting expensive etc..

you cannot expect lau jiao in their 60s and 70s to continue working in such conditions. younger generation sinkies would not step up to the plate. there's nothing wrong with shipyards thinking ahead, plan long term, and continually phasing out workers within their desired age (and health and physical condition) range.