• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Renovation to your homes

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
The contractor quoted the following for 3 storeyed terrace house:

To supply and install whole house grilles in white colour powder coating finish - RM10,200.00

Also quoted RM1500 for below to make current gates automatic:

Automatic Gate System
VITEC M3 Swing Gate System c/w
. Motor Actuator
.Electric Lock c/w stopper
.Alarm Control Panel In Casing
.3 Wireless Remote Controller
.Installation & Commisioning

Expensive? Reasonable? Any idea?

Last edited:

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal

To supply and install whole house grilles in white colour powder coating finish - RM10,200.00

Automatic Gate System
. Motor Actuator

Sounds okay except to get ready for discoloration if there is any rust. Better to go for any color other than white.

Lptang24

Alfrescian
Loyal

I was quoted rm1650 - autogate (not sure the details), 7k - grilles (powder coat) 2 storey terrace.

(The 500 characters limit is very annoying)

Lptang24

Alfrescian
Loyal
Based on my market survey early this year:
1-hp inverter is in the region of $1.3k RM with installation and piping
2-hp inverter is in the region of $2k RM with installation and piping

And Johor (Nusajaya) is the most expensive place to renovate in Malaysia due to proximity to Singapore and lack of competition.

Ok, now I feel like I am a carrot.

SandySwee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sounds little pricey for grills. Go chk around first.

Automatic Gate System
. Motor Actuator

cow138

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anyone got experience with contractors who like corner the renovation work in a new development. Kinda like a cartel.

Heard that there were some stories like this. Is this common practise?

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was quoted rm1650 - autogate (not sure the details), 7k - grilles (powder coat) 2 storey terrace.

(The 500 characters limit is very annoying)

Thanks. What about house alarm system? Which systems are reliable and not too expensive? How much is reasonable? I see the renovation costs also scared. Already hit RM90000 still not including things like fridge, sofa, TV, dining table, additional lightings, fans, heaters. Sweat already.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks. What about house alarm system? Which systems are reliable and not too expensive? How much is reasonable? I see the renovation costs also scared. Already hit RM90000 still not including things like fridge, sofa, TV, dining table, additional lightings, fans, heaters. Sweat already.

Welcome to Malaysia! If you want to furnish 4 bedrooms, the living hall, and the small family hall (complete with curtains), be prepared for at least RM 60K for furnishing cost alone.

My renovation & full furnishing cost is around RM 200K (all-in). It can be done for lesser, but 一分钱,一分货 lor....

PS: for house alarm, I use blugard. Around RM 1.5k I think, one of the cheaper items here.

Last edited:

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Welcome to Malaysia! If you want to furnish 4 bedrooms, the living hall, and the small family hall (complete with curtains), be prepared for at least RM 60K for furnishing cost alone.

My renovation & full furnishing cost is around RM 200K (all-in). It can be done for lesser, but 一分钱,一分货 lor....

PS: for house alarm, I use blugard. Around RM 1.5k I think, one of the cheaper items here.

I do hope my reno cost is low because my unit already comes with kitchen cabinets, sink, toilets, aircon, so I am only making cabinets full heights, add island, tv console, some tables and shelving, extension of balcony, lightings. Looks like I need to cut out more things. Running a tight budget lah.

Bigfatfish

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anyone got experience with contractors who like corner the renovation work in a new development. Kinda like a cartel.

Heard that there were some stories like this. Is this common practise?
Not sure but can find out since I know a few of them.

Bigfatfish

Alfrescian
Loyal
Pls note that I need to know ur room size to buy correct size aircon . Buy too big waste , buy too small underpowered

Bigfatfish

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can anyone explain what is a bypass technique for better water flow. Has the water tank ever collaspe under pressure? Access to the tank is very difficult .

Bigfatfish

Alfrescian
Loyal
My kitchen is the "open-concept" type (ie. no walls to segregate it from the living room) and the living room tends to get very oily whenever we fry vegetables or deep fry chicken wings or fish. I am thinking of doing a "false" wall to enclose the kitchen so that the oil doesn't travel to the living room.
Does anyone know of a good contractor who can construct a false wall and door to enclose the kitchen area? Any good recommendations would be much appreciated!

Hi Twinnigal

How is ur kitchen now? I am also planning an open concept kitchen but will try do heavy cooking outside .

Bigfatfish

Alfrescian
Loyal
ya lor , had a hard time sourcing for painter , some quoted the price like 10k if paint internal and external.
for this contractor , if external and internal , the most 5k plus ....
of coz with have sealer .

true abt the paint , developer using ICI for extenal and the fence area just keep peeling off...

my painter told me the crack lines on the walls is due to the construction of houses too fast ?

Hi Crystal

Yes construction too fast.

3 k for internals? Good price.

5 k for both?

I guess this is based on 20-70 house size price?
Cuz one quoted me 8-9 k inside only n say his paint confirm best quality.
Thanks.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I thought I read somewhere in this forum that if we use the services of Interior Designers we sure tio tok because they will mark up high. Is this true? But ID will help with sourcing for contractors to do other works, right? Or is it better to find your own contractors as far as possible?

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
I thought I read somewhere in this forum that if we use the services of Interior Designers we sure tio tok because they will mark up high. Is this true? But ID will help with sourcing for contractors to do other works, right? Or is it better to find your own contractors as far as possible?

ID charged for the concept, integration and coordination of renovation. Unless you are quite into this or found a good main contractor that can do a simple ID, if you have to pay for a professional service. I found out the hard way...

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
I do hope my reno cost is low because my unit already comes with kitchen cabinets, sink, toilets, aircon, so I am only making cabinets full heights, add island, tv console, some tables and shelving, extension of balcony, lightings. Looks like I need to cut out more things. Running a tight budget lah.

If you want to decorate to a gd std, it's no joke. You will need the following:-

Foyer furniture, living room sofa & coffee table, living room TV console, living room air-con, dining table & chairs set, hood, hob, oven, kitchen sink,

6 fans, 4 bedroom set (including wardrobes, side tables, mattresses, bedframes), staircase cabinet, down-lights & dining light, 4 heaters, 4 washroom cabinets,

fridge, washer, curtains, water purifier, autogate, alarm, balcony furniture set, small family hall sofa/coffee table / TV console,