• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Renovation to your homes

Narmi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi all

My reno contractor quoted 8500rm for whole house (3 storey semi-d) painting including wall perimeter. Not sure price is reasonable or not. Any comments?

Narmi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi all, I am looking for a iron gate supplier. Please share the contacts if you know one. Thank you.

Hi Moochi

My neighbour went to the gate supplier factory and get them to install his gate. Accordg to my neighbour its reasonable (6400rm for a motorised gate) :

Mr Hafiz +60177854122

I yet to install mine tho cos it will be last for me after evrythg is done. Do update us if you got contact him ok. If he ask say your friend fr NI gave u his no.

moochi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Moochi

My neighbour went to the gate supplier factory and get them to install his gate. Accordg to my neighbour its reasonable (6400rm for a motorised gate) :

Mr Hafiz +60177854122

I yet to install mine tho cos it will be last for me after evrythg is done. Do update us if you got contact him ok. If he ask say your friend fr NI gave u his no.

Thank you Narmi , I will ask him for quote when i collect the keys. :wink:

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi all

My reno contractor quoted 8500rm for whole house (3 storey semi-d) painting including wall perimeter. Not sure price is reasonable or not. Any comments?

I guess it is about there for three storey semi d, someone ever quoted me rm6800 for double storey cluster.

SandySwee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Kitchen Cabinet

I'm making my cabinet and have source a few cabinet makers. Mt Austin and Jln satria have many woodwork shops. They range cheapest RM400 to as high as RM700 per ft run. Some of them charge as RM1000 over and usually high end customers or ID designers doing for clients. Obviously, the material differs in many ways. First, the RM400 usually finish in simple woods, white PVC inside cabinet, normal Formica, ordinary hinges. After much education from my contractor,I decided just let him source for me. I will pay average RM550 pfr because I wanted the inside wood to look different from the normal white PVC.Cheers

Skooz

Alfrescian
Loyal

seems the price xpensive .have u considered buying from ikea spore n assembling there as ive done in spore hse much more cheaper except for the top is very long u must buy from there but other parts u can assemble easily

captainjones

Alfrescian
Loyal

seems the price xpensive .have u considered buying from ikea spore n assembling there as ive done in spore hse much more cheaper except for the top is very long u must buy from there but other parts u can assemble easily

Hi Skooz, Ikea Sg does not make delivery outside of Sg. To bring it to johor, it's considered exporting.

Walker

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hi Skooz, Ikea Sg does not make delivery outside of Sg. To bring it to johor, it's considered exporting.

If you want buy lots of Ikea stuff make a trip to KL.
I heard also the furniture is cheaper and have better choices in KL.
Just shop there and arrange for transportation back to JB.

nameno

Alfrescian
Loyal

Any reliable renovation contractor with quality workmanship and reasonable pricing?

SNSD2

Alfrescian
Loyal

Very difficult to find as the contractor will sub contract out to other smaller contractors to do the various parts of the house and their quality can never be guaranteed.

Skooz

Alfrescian
Loyal

What i mean is bring it in by own car as the doors n shelves r packed in a box except for the table top which is too long to fit in a car ,assembly is easy (only if no tax by malaysian side .

captainjones

Alfrescian
Loyal

What i mean is bring it in by own car as the doors n shelves r packed in a box except for the table top which is too long to fit in a car ,assembly is easy (only if no tax by malaysian side .

A friend of mine who is a Malaysian (SPR) tried to bring a unpacked Ikea kitchen cabinets back to jb. Couldn't put in the boot, so kept in the back seats. At malaysia custom (1st link), he got stopped and was asked to pay tax Rm 200.

Skooz

Alfrescian
Loyal

A friend of mine who is a Malaysian (SPR) tried to bring a unpacked Ikea kitchen cabinets back to jb. Couldn't put in the boot, so kept in the back seats. At malaysia custom (1st link), he got stopped and was asked to pay tax Rm 200.
not a good idea then ,unles can neg. with them .

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal

Aiyo , cabinets mostly made of compress chips boards , that is why cheap lah. It is not fair to compare Ikea with those customise furniture which made of solid plywood .

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal

Many of Ikea Furniture is made of compressed chipboard and cannot last but their kitchen comes with 25 years Guarantee!
So they may outlast many customised kitchen cabinets.

http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_MY/pdf/FAKTUM_Guarantee.pdf

I think you must read at the fine prints . Most likely you cant claim as they will tell you damage ( chip board wrap) is due to mis use . Example moisture sip in , heat source , etc . I got one set of these kitchen cabinets doors made of chipboard with a stainless steel skin . Use less than 2yrs gone liao , it wraps badly due to moisture and the stainless got rusty spots .

Walker

Alfrescian
Loyal

I think you must read at the fine prints . Most likely you cant claim as they will tell you damage ( chip board wrap) is due to mis use . Example moisture sip in , heat source , etc . I got one set of these kitchen cabinets doors made of chipboard with a stainless steel skin . Use less than 2yrs gone liao , it wraps badly due to moisture and the stainless got rusty spots .

Hmm your Kitchen Cabinet from Ikea?
Did they reject your claim?
I guess we really have to clarify if their Guarantee covers the high humidity conditions of Malaysia and Singapore.
Anyone claimed guarantee on Ikea products before?

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hmm your Kitchen Cabinet from Ikea?
Did they reject your claim?
I guess we really have to clarify if their Guarantee covers the high humidity conditions of Malaysia and Singapore.
Anyone claimed guarantee on Ikea products before?

Used it for my SG home , didnt claim . I changed it to glass doors , problem solved. How to avoid moisture , water slippage in kitchen ? Unless you dont cook or your kitchen is just a show piece.

Walker

Alfrescian
Loyal
Panic Room

I was reading in Lowyat forums, 1 guy said he built an underground safe-room / panic room were he and his family could hide with food and water in case of emergency or attack from intruders.

Some said they build shutters to lock up the upper floors at the stairs to prevent intruders from getting to their bedrooms when they were asleep.
Some say they would just use a solid security door for the Masterbed room to function as a panic room in time of need.

I think these are interesting ideas especially for those who live in Landed properties.
We can have cctv, alarms and guards but what happens if they manage to get in?
Things stolen can be replaced... but our loved ones cannot....