• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

remember these places ?

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Does any remember SILO supermarket? This harks back to the early 80s when Singapore still had more than one trade union confederation.

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
you mean the wantan mee guy? When he was in joo chiat i chanced to patronise him. I found him familiar so we chatted and thats when he told me he

was originally from the library. He said he was getting old and a bit tired and was considering retiring. Not long after that he closed shop.

He was near where the Smokey's grill presently is along joo chiat place.

I don't whether it is the same NLB stall but there is one stall not reported to be at Far East Square.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Does any remember SILO supermarket? This harks back to the early 80s when Singapore still had more than one trade union confederation.

Those days, SILO was supposed to be the union supermarket co-operative and NTUC Wellcome was supposed to be the union department store co-operative. Then came Phey Yew Kok who started a basketball league but himself bounced away with lots of cash missing from NTUC. To help NTUC plug the hole in the account, SILO was given over to NTUC Wellcome that became the NTUC FairPrice of today. It was something like POSB given over to DBS minus the corruption and abscondment.

Last edited:

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
yes...its was a culture and although many things are lost for good eg the shops , buildings.....they must have evolved. This is definitely our culture

if not in whole then at least in part. Just need to trace it and then 'in your face ' it to BosSam

leongsam started a thread asking 'what is singapore culture'.

perhaps this thread is the answer.

rofthelper

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wah, I don't even know those places you guys mentioned! If there is one place I missed in Singapore and is no longer around, it has to be Marina South. Used to spend $10 eat BBQ buffet, ended the meal with a nice free potong ice cream and finish the night off with a bbbj at some dark place along the coast.
Some people will remember the Dragon Health Spa there :biggrin:

Bro, never mention Canto? Where the famous William Scropion was originally frm there?

Really missed there place.... And the skating ring in united square, the former 97 @ international building, the kallang spa in badminton hall, executive spa in marina south, europa in changi village, teo chew porridge @ owen road, EGOS, BOSS, MG ktv and the recently closed BS Ktv.

Last edited:

Borat

Alfrescian
Loyal
Let us not forget places of ill-repute such as Lorong G, Telok Kurau, Desker Road and Bugis Street and their beautiful Ah Quas.

rofthelper

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ha ha... I missed my beh kee machines (horse machines) and not forgetting the snooker establishments inside thompson road private estate. Is that called "si gor"?

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
ya...cant think of anymore of these establishments. ah Ram may know of a few more.

Now that you name them yes I now do recall all these. I think these are all we had apart from the infamous Geylang Lorongs.

Last edited:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bugis Street before Bugis Junction and Bugis MRT was for mostly Brit and Yank sailors to have fun with drinks and ladyboys. After the decision was made to develop Bugis, police chased the ladyboys away to Johore Road where it became Petain Road (Banana Leg) brothel style. No more entertainment and sweet talk servicing. That turned out to be bad location as it as it was just next to a convent school and a major Singapore-Johore bus terminal.

So police chased them away again and they ran to Clifford Pier. Bad location again, central financial district even if they only came out at night after office hours. So police chased them away again, all the way to Changi Village. No more choice, can't chase them away any further, otherwise they all fall into the sea.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Borat said:
Lau's Arcadia seems to have bad feng shui. Most tenants there did not survived and there were countless. I know the place well as my old family doctor was located there next to the duck rice stall.

If you ask me, the lease is probably too high. Therefore no tenant can survive.

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
haha good post ah Ram...good insights too. I only knew the first and last bits.

Bugis Street before Bugis Junction and Bugis MRT was for mostly Brit and Yank sailors to have fun with drinks and ladyboys. After the decision was made to develop Bugis, police chased the ladyboys away to Johore Road where it became Petain Road (Banana Leg) brothel style. No more entertainment and sweet talk servicing. That turned out to be bad location as it as it was just next to a convent school and a major Singapore-Johore bus terminal.

So police chased them away again and they ran to Clifford Pier. Bad location again, central financial district even if they only came out at night after office hours. So police chased them away again, all the way to Changi Village. No more choice, can't chase them away any further, otherwise they all fall into the sea.