• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Recruitment of Local Policemen In Singapore - Why Is "Anyone" Acceptable.

Kohliantye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In the early period, when the ang-mors ruled this tiny island, policemen were all burly, tall and fit.
Today it is a world of a difference.
Anyone possessiing "paper quaslifications"is accepted within the ranks.
What could be the main reason?

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
now they want surly , small and twit ....those blessed with the papers fit the bill

In the early period, when the ang-mors ruled this tiny island, policemen were all burly, tall and fit.Today it is a world of a difference.

Last edited:

Sir_Fcuk

Lunch Corporal
Loyal
In the early period, when the ang-mors ruled this tiny island, policemen were all burly, tall and fit.

Look at Chan Chun Sing..... with his skinny arms.... was he a gilat junior commander? Or rosse so fast no one noticed he fights in the 55-60kg category?

jw5

Loyal
Look at Chan Chun Sing..... with his skinny arms.... was he a gilat junior commander? Or rosse so fast no one noticed he fights in the 55-60kg category?

I remember a peekture of him in the ST crouching in his number 4 talking to a group of soldiers all wearing number 4.
He looked like a NCC guy. :biggrin:

jw5

Loyal
Today it is a world of a difference.

Interesting question, but I have another question.
Are policemen or people signing up to join the police required to take some kind of ethics or morality test?
Are these tests ongoing during their period of service?
What is the requirement before someone can become a policeman? No criminal record?

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Are policemen or people signing up to join the police required to take some kind of ethics or morality test?
What is the requirement before someone can become a policeman? No criminal record?

For the intel service (ISD and SID), polygraph test is a must.

For mata mata, quite straight forward. Meet the academic requirements. Look fit. Speak decent English during the interview. They will screen you against their criminal and at times, intel record. Your family background also taken into consideration. I know. Coz I interviewed these applicants before.

GagakHitam

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many Malays like mata job because of the old perception of 'iron ricebowl', of which now the term is obsolete la.
On the question of anyone granted acceptance into the police force, there are still have minimum requirements. So your anyone is rather hasty generalisation la.

jw5

Loyal

For mata mata, quite straight forward. Meet the academic requirements. Look fit. Speak decent English during the interview. They will screen you against their criminal and at times, intel record. Your family background also taken into consideration. I know. Coz I interviewed these applicants before.

Bro, so no ethics and morals assessment at any time for mata including intelligence personnel?
The polygraph tests would be more for any possibility of intelligence issues rather than ethical ones?
Tks.

jw5

Loyal
It's only an illusion. Last time they look tall because they wear shorts.

hehehehe. :biggrin:
Still remember the times when we would term anything archaic or outdated as being "when the mata used to wear shorts". In fact, sometimes still do. :biggrin:

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bro, so no ethics and morals assessment at any time for mata including intelligence personnel?
The polygraph tests would be more for any possibility of intelligence issues rather than ethical ones?
Tks.

Yes, you are right. In the intel world, there is no ethics no morals involved. You do what your political master wants. When LKY was PM, the identity of informers wasnt the top priority. LKY's demands were.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

As far as I recall, no ethics or morality test, just an interview with three wise men.
My experience is that if you talk too much about ethics and morality, you'd be sent back to army.
The answers they want to hear are about upholding laws in force regardless of ethics and morality you believe.
They'd ask you some questions like why you want to join police, what would you do in certain situations etc.
The physical checkup must be at least PES B and show no tattoos, the criminal screening must show no records.
You can tattoos if you want to after you've passed out from PA, but not before recruitment.
My time, 4 O levels including English was a must, I'm sure with education requirements now.
Ongoing tests during period in service are only IPPT and shooting (day shoot and night shoot).

Last edited:

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
1. Polygraph test only test is the person is lying to a given question, tio bo? Questions like; Is your name Irene? Or Did you vote opposition? This type of question:confused::o

2. Family background is taken into consideration; does it mean "GOOD" family background OR "SUITABLE" family background are considered desirable:confused:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The answers they want to hear are about upholding laws in force regardless of ethics and morality you believe.

So the 3 guys who interviewed u not so wise lah? :biggrin:
Just joking man, thanks for the reply. :wink:

No problem. I emphasize by requoting myself above. That's police job, to uphold laws in force. It can't be about ethics or morality since everybody can be of different religions, cultures and creeds holding different values. That's why police got criticised and even chided every now and then.

If you want police to enforce different laws, laws that are to your liking, vote into Parliament different legislators, i.e. MPs. If the side you vote for is in minority, then majority wins. That's democracy, law and order. Accept it unless you're going for coup, rebellion or anarchy.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The poly is much more than that. For the the family background, the parents must be born in Singapore and none of the parents' siblings are born outside of the country. There are exceptions. Those who join midstream in their career, no longer important as your past work speaks for itself. There are also different stream. Low profile and small family preferred. Hopeless family and those with criminal record also not issue. Those who are born out of wedlock also taken in. There is much to all this.

1. Polygraph test only test is the person is lying to a given question, tio bo? Questions like; Is your name Irene? Or Did you vote opposition? This type of question:confused::o

2. Family background is taken into consideration; does it mean "GOOD" family background OR "SUITABLE" family background are considered desirable:confused:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Recruitment into the Police, Immigration, SAF are all major issues for years. Attrition is also very high. Even for Police senior officers. There have been instances where nearly the entire cohort for the year disappeared within 10 years. At 4 year mark, nearly 60 % of senior officers would have left. ISD will start raiding within 2 years so as not lose the opportunity.