• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Racism the reason for the difference in award

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Officer saves recruit from exploding grenade
Mon, Sep 15, 2008
The Straits Times

SECOND-LIEUTENANT Kok Khew Fai was overseeing a grenade-throwing exercise earlier this year when he saw one of the live explosives slip through the hand of a recruit. It landed just 4m away, and the pair had six seconds before it went off.

So, the platoon commander from the Basic Military Training Centre (BMTC) pushed the recruit to the ground and threw himself over him.The grenade exploded, and while shrapnel flew over their heads, the pair escaped unscathed.

Yesterday, the 20-year-old 2nd Lt Kok became the first full-time national serviceman (NSF) to receive the nation’s top award for courage – the SAF Medal for Distinguished Act.

http://news.asiaone.com/News/the+Straits+Times/Story/A1Story20080915-87709.html

Why 2nd LT Kok get this medal but 2nd Lt Kamalasivam only get coin? Is it due to the race? or something esel

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Lt kok is outstanding that's why. Would you have called it racism if it was kok that just got the coin? Rhetorical question cos the answer would be no

andyfisher

Alfrescian
Loyal
Jah, your post is another example of nonsensical circuitous logic. When will you ever learn to think, I await the day :biggrin:

Steffy, this is racism, pure and simple, but of course idiots will say no.

Lt kok is outstanding that's why. Would you have called it racism if it was kok that just got the coin? Rhetorical question cos the answer would be no

Wildfire

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why 2nd LT Kok get this medal but 2nd Lt Kamalasivam only get coin? Is it due to the race? or something esel

Yes, yes … Racism? :confused:

It's like one get the Dollar .. .
The other got loose change …

Right?

Nay, more like population inflation and wage erosion …

In 2008, population was 4.8 million
In 2013, population is 5.3 million

With the influx of more higher priced FTs ...
Singaporean's life becomes cheaper …

So, The Coin … symbolically Good!

Life is Cheap!

Last edited:

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
As I'd said elsewhere, the coin is likely to have been a first token to express the COA's appreciation for his courage. It probably could have been given out without consulting anyone else. A medal, on the other hand, can only be given out by the SAF Council, which will take time to convene and investigate the incident thoroughly.

Last edited:

looneytan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Medal must have ceremony to give, coin can give anywhere even in hospital

* alamak, similar to HTOLAS's

Last edited:

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

So, the platoon commander from the Basic Military Training Centre (BMTC) pushed the recruit to the ground and threw himself over him.

i think that is the diff.

Last edited:

Wildfire

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am sure MINDEF would have carefully evaluated the merit of each case before deciding on the class and type of award.

I doubt there is such thing as "a gesture" or "a token" award to be handed out quickly.

Awards are recognition and appreciation given out with utmost sincerity for the personal sacrifice and/or exemplary service
beyond the call of normal duty.

Do not muddled this honor with racism!

I may joke about the use of coin as a symbol of value for the recognition but never doubt my sincerity, respect and
appreciation for the recipients!

Last edited:

General

Alfrescian
Loyal

Lt kok is outstanding? Well he is. So is 2nd Lt Kamalasivam.
But the fact that the grenade landed 4metres away , after being thrown by the recruit himself, only then did the officer shield him.
But nevertheless, he was still shielded.
But for 2nd Lt Kamalasivam's case, he SAW that the lever was out and therefore asked the recruit to throw it out immediately before it explodes and sheilded him. If he wasnt alert, it would have been very drastic for the both.
And so, fact of the matter is, kok didnt get the coin, but rather got the distinguished award. But Kamalasivam got the coin. How is that in Jah Rastafar's opinion and hes twisting and turning the facts playing mind games and asking questions and answering himself, trying to brainwash the publics mind with baseless propoganda

Last edited:

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
As I'd said elsewhere, the coin is likely to have been a first token to express the COA's appreciation for his courage. It probably could have been given out without consulting anyone else. A medal, on the other hand, can only be given out by the SAF Council, which will take time to convene and investigate the incident thoroughly.

So to twist it the other way round, Kok ddin't get any appreciation at the start until there was a long drawn out debate?

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lt kok is outstanding? Well he is. So is 2nd Lt Kamalasivam.
But the fact that the grenade landed 4metres away , after being thrown by the recruit himself, only then did the officer shield him.
But nevertheless, he was still shielded.
But for 2nd Lt Kamalasivam's case, he SAW that the lever was out and therefore asked the recruit to throw it out immediately before it explodes and sheilded him. If he wasnt alert, it would have been very drastic for the both.
And so, fact of the matter is, kok didnt get the coin, but rather got the distinguished award. But Kamalasivam got the coin. How is that in Jah Rastafar's opinion and hes twisting and turning the facts playing mind games and asking questions and answering himself, trying to brainwash the publics mind with baseless propoganda

But there has to be a difference, coin awarded immediately and medal later

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
my personal opinion, 2nd Lt Kamalasivam saved a malay boy. He is not suppose to do that. The malays are the front line troops that are suppose to absorb enemy bullets and so are dispensable.
Don't tell the malays that though. the official stance is that they are at the front because of their courage.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Which is deadlier: a grenade or a coin?

rio-ferdinand-coin.jpg

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Jah, your post is another example of nonsensical circuitous logic. When will you ever learn to think, I await the day :biggrin:

Steffy, this is racism, pure and simple, but of course idiots will say no.

It isn't at all cos we all know the answer. If it was kok that got the coin instead would anyone even be offended? Of course not. Steffy wouldn't have started such a thread and you wouldn't be here typing jibberish.

It's this so called ultra sensitive shit stirrers around that want to start shit when there is none in the first place and call it racism only when a non chinese is supposedly being discriminated.

At the end of the day if kok was the one that got the coin instead this thread would not have been started.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
my personal opinion, 2nd Lt Kamalasivam saved a malay boy. He is not suppose to do that. The malays are the front line troops that are suppose to absorb enemy bullets and so are dispensable.
Don't tell the malays that though. the official stance is that they are at the front because of their courage.

Didn't one forummer television say malays were the toughest fuckers around? You see you have a precarious balancing act whereby you need to positively stereotype them and then you say it's cos they are dispensable here. You see how tough it is to actually satisfy ppl like you having to uphold a positive stereotype that malays are the toughest but are not dispensable and then when you award one soldier a different award the reason is cause it's racism. It's plain BS of the highest order here.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Actually when i looked around some forums i noticed that fewer ppl actually praised lt kok for his act while that kamal fella got more praise but yet kok was more garang kamal told the recruit to throw the grenade away.

Again and again it just goes to show this is racist to chinese.