• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Qst about past: National & Bata

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Wonder if that Bata's sLogan : First to Bata then to schooL; stiLL stands ?..
:wink:

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
that was in the 60s/70s when people not so affluent. These days Bata = buy and throw away.
i remembered how proud we were in schooL wearing our Badminton masters ! .The boys wouLd be donning the
green soLes' ; and the girLs' red ..
Btw; wonder if Bata is stiLL big in MaLaysia ?..

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I was visiting the area around Peninsula & noticed that they are upgrading the area around Capitol again. I can remember back in the old days when there was a car park next to Capitol Theatre, next to this was the National show room, then Bata, then some shops like Balbir selling sports gear, a music shop selling musical instruments, etc.

Trying to remember what was behind the National showroom. I think it was something to do with the British forces, a club for the British:confused: Does anyone have memories of what was in that area? In particular behind the National showroom?

Was it Kangaroo Club or some other name, later it moved to opposite "ang teng Bay Tow" the Old Clifford Centre, used to be deep in. Ram would know, his Khaki Shorts, baton carrying Police days, might have attended , brawlers & drunken sailors or servicemen.:biggrin:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Unless you're sure you're bringing the right woman up there, it can become Registry of Nighmares! :eek:

No lah!, I brought my girl friends up there using the long hard climb stairs, between the Hill Street Fire Station & Hill Street Police Station now ministry of?? with all the gaudy paint work. Brought them up the stairs for a round of 'rubba rubba' till 'fire' started & one gets wet & clammy. Back then, you don't 'shoot' the girls ( shy lah!) and going to hotel...very malu, one you know!.

But I have avoided the Registry of "nightmares" on the other side of Fort Canning, I do my shooting at Botanic Gardens, before the gates closes at midnight with PROTECTION!:biggrin:

Every time I go to Botanic Gardens I see that ornate Pavillion, I sighed! don't know how many nights of passions were spent there & the tourists are taking photos... ha ha ha ha :rolleyes:

Last edited:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The carpark had many hawker stalls, the most famous of which was the Beef Kwayteow soup.

Not to mentioned the Indian Mutton Soup, thinking of it now, makes me salivate!! There were hawkers at the back lanes of Eu Court, was it LKY dentist used to be there?? They used to have very good Malay food, not the kind of crappy Malay Food we have today..real stuff.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Except for bata shoes, school uniform, jeans, sports equipment and psychdelic t-shirts, i can't recall it as gathering place after school.

You don't remember Magnolia Snack Bar, The Noodle Shop there with the "ow lam mien" with Almond Flavoured Soya Bean drink , the Malacca eating house, & the Indian Kachang Putih?? No?

looneytan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I only can recall the car park had a vehicle lift, first of its kind here then.
that is Peninsula Plaza car park, the lifts are still there

Some people might be confused about the discussion about Bata. There was the original Bata, in it's own buildiing and the old location but in the new Peninsula building Bata II.
The plot of land where Bata building stood was merged with the adjacent plots where Peninsula Plaza is now, and yes the Bata corner occupied the spot where the old building used to be

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No lah!, I brought my girl friends up there using the long hard climb stairs, between the Hill Street Fire Station & Hill Street Police Station now ministry of?? with all the gaudy paint work. Brought them up the stairs for a round of 'rubba rubba' till 'fire' started & one gets wet & clammy. Back then, you don't 'shoot' the girls ( shy lah!) and going to hotel...very malu, one you know!.

Yeah, those days, Royal Hilltop (Fort Canning) was favorite for rubba rubba. The Central Fire Station actually doubled up as Gang 24 Communication Centre between Big Town and Small Town branches until Fire Brigade got reorganized into SCDF. Most of the firemen then were gang members. I think now it's non-functional, just a museum.

chuckyworld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have never walked into the lane leading to the Capitol Theatre. Usually, I'd just walk past Peninsula Plaza and Capitol Centre, or cross the road and walk along the pavement next to St Andrew's cathedral.

You can still see Capitol Centre and Capitol Theatre in Google Maps street view.

I use to sell tickets at Capitol and Oden theatre...young and restless with no direction....:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Was it Kangaroo Club or some other name, later it moved to opposite "ang teng Bay Tow" the Old Clifford Centre, used to be deep in. Ram would know, his Khaki Shorts, baton carrying Police days, might have attended , brawlers & drunken sailors or servicemen.:biggrin:

I think ah Ram would still be in school shorts, as this was in the 60's:smile:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
that was in the 60s/70s when people not so affluent. These days Bata = buy and throw away.

Bata has moved with the times, now they are selling school versions of runners such as New Balance. They still have a presence in Spore & Malaysia. They are probably doing better than Creative:wink:

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bata has moved with the times, now they are selling school versions of runners such as New Balance. They still have a presence in Spore & Malaysia. They are probably doing better than Creative:wink:
What is the history of BATA? Is this a Sinkee brand? Quite popular in LOS too. See many branches all over the place.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What is the history of BATA? Is this a Sinkee brand? Quite popular in LOS too. See many branches all over the place.

Bata is a Swiss company. Over 100 years old worldwide MNC. Selling mid-range shoes, i.e. better than pasar malam shoes but cheaper than branded shoes.

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Bata started from MaLaysia; where rubbers' were abound then.Even when i was staying in the quiet town
of Bentong, Pahang ; there was a Bata shoes' distributorship in town.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thanks. Really long history. Thought it was a SG or MY brand. Anyway, me don't even wear BATA shoes, it's either Panda brand in primary school or Double Happiness when secondary school.