• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Puteri Harbour Community

Funniman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just saw today's newspapers, a 4 storey 66 unit Casa del Rio Residences along the Melaka river developed by Spore businessman Ong Beng Seng in his personal capacity is selling for RM1500psf. Malaysian property prices had gone crazy....:confused:

Last edited:

DCputeri

Alfrescian
Loyal
He is owner of HPL. The one who started F1 race in Singapore.
Just saw today's newspapers, a 4 storey 66 unit Casa del Rio Residences along the Melaka river developed by Spore businessman Ong Beng Seng in his personal capacity is selling for RM1500psf. Malaysian property prices had gone crazy....:confused:

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Yes. And most of em are leasehold!

kopikong99

Alfrescian
Loyal
The benchmark yield for my own standard should always be 200 basis points above that designated country's risk free rate ( which we k use their Fixed Deposit rate) as reference at 3% average.

Freehold - 3% + 2% = 5%
99 yrs - 3% + 3% = 6%

This for the extra risk we take in property investment as compared to Fixed Deposit. And for covering outgoing costs like maintenance, assessment and other related costs n fees. Its a rough guide and everyone is free to set their own benchmarks so don't pinpoint on the mechanics hor.

Then once you are invested in a freehold property in a good location (meaning marketable at all times, just a matter of price), you can depend on the property to help you beat inflation over time, must keep long enough to ride through all correction cycles (so freehold is important)

So for the recent buys at RM1300psf, based on 5% yield, you need to get RM5.40psf. It is already higher than KL standards.

Good lessons and sharing on making shrewd investments and managing the risks in property investment when read together with the insights from Investor.

kopikong99

Alfrescian
Loyal
Rental yield in KL is also rather low. Why people sell Singapore property that was bought years ago and move into Malaysia?

3 years back, 1 Singapore property sold then could exchange for 4 properties in Johor and these 4 properties is enjoying good appreciation while the price of that property tanked.

Entry and exit points is important to catch the wind in your sails.

I guess everyone has their own reasons to sell a Singapore property and that does not means that Singapore property is not a good investment. I get good rental returns on the Singapore property that I would like to keep.

wolverine23

Alfrescian
Loyal
3 years back, 1 Singapore property sold then could exchange for 4 properties in Johor and these 4 properties is enjoying good appreciation while the price of that property tanked.

Entry and exit points is important to catch the wind in your sails.

I guess everyone has their own reasons to sell a Singapore property and that does not means that Singapore property is not a good investment. I get good rental returns on the Singapore property that I would like to keep.

I would always keep more Singapore properties than Malaysia properties...

Funniman

Alfrescian
Loyal

My take is:

Always invest in areas you are familiar with starting with your home ground.
Spread out your property investments geographically essentially spread out your risks. There will be some with high yield yet some with different capital appreciation.
Invest in different type of properties. Actually there are factories that give you a more stable yield compared to residential but at the same time condos tend to give you better yield compared link houses.

Last edited:

h530251

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wa... this is chim leh....

What is 200 basis point above that designated country's risk free rate ? Why 200 ?

DCputeri

Alfrescian
Loyal
Have simiar strategy as Singapore properties had more than 70% of capital appreciation in less than 4 years and rental yield of at least 6% as they are in CBD and city fringe. Foreign Exchange rate and its garment policy are still the main risk in foreign property investment. Got to invest carefully.

Mingchye

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wa... this is chim leh....

What is 200 basis point above that designated country's risk free rate ? Why 200 ?

Thats how interest rates are quoted in financial markets and by central banks.
100 basis points = 1%
Eg The BNM has decided to increase the interest rate by 50 basis points ie increase by 0.5%

wolverine23

Alfrescian
Loyal
Have simiar strategy as Singapore properties had more than 70% of capital appreciation in less than 4 years and rental yield of at least 6% as they are in CBD and city fringe. Foreign Exchange rate and its garment policy are still the main risk in foreign property investment. Got to invest carefully.

I am thinking of investing more in Malaysia but the key risk is actually, like what you mentioned, garment policy.... that is the main stumbling block to allocate a larger amount to Johor investments..... :smile:

DCputeri

Alfrescian
Loyal
Retirement home is ok and for not rental.
I am thinking of investing more in Malaysia but the key risk is actually, like what you mentioned, garment policy.... that is the main stumbling block to allocate a larger amount to Johor investments..... :smile:

Funniman

Alfrescian
Loyal

Just curious...why just JB alone? Why not KL or Penang?
Proximity reasons for retirement home, I understand but for investments?

DCputeri

Alfrescian
Loyal
HPL boss, ong beng seang, has ventured into malacca with residential apartment sellng at RM1500psf. He is also diversifying risk as Singapore property investment is just too much for him. His jv with Capitaland not selling too well.

DCputeri

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore's billionaire Peter Lim partnered with Johor Royal to build RM1.2billion race course in iskandar near leisure farm. Iskandar is really attracted lots of billionaire in Singapore.

flyer380

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just curious...why just JB alone? Why not KL or Penang?
Proximity reasons for retirement home, I understand but for investments?

I sold off everything I had in KL and Penang, cause despite having agents and even offering relatives up to 20%
of rental value monthly just to collect the rent is a huge problem, also tenants are constantly moving, late payment,
and lots of maintenance issues you have to personally handle cause the KL / Penang agents, even relatives too busy
to help you. Even if rent our to corporations also same problems arose, so better u get at ZONE B, Iskandar Malaysia,
is best nearby if anything even for invesment u can do it via a day trip, dont forget we here in Singapore each person
already doing 2 persons workload where got time to handle far far away properties ? For "remote control investment"
forget Malaysia, go to New Zealand, Australia is best, so far I dont have any problems at all as my agent handles everything
down to the replacement of a broken cup, chair etc ! Well just my own experience with KL, Penang, Nz, Aus Property "investment".

Iskandar Malaysia Nusajaya Is best.. "Zone B" ! Where else got "whole world in one city " Legoland, Harbour, Hello Kitty, 8 Universities - MDIS,RAS,NMIT,UR,etc etc, Hospital we can use our CPF, Race track, Pinewood TV etc etc...Giant Tesco Aeon Mall Of Medini -
No need waste time look anywhere else liow !

Care to share your nightmares of renting out KL Penang Properties too... Pls do we all want to know ....

Last edited:

DCputeri

Alfrescian
Loyal
But Australian propert has certain restriction when you sell.
I sold off everything I had in KL and Penang, cause despite having agents and even offering relatives up to 20%
of rental value monthly just to collect the rent is a huge problem, also tenants are constantly moving, late payment,
and lots of maintenance issues you have to personally handle cause the KL / Penang agents, even relatives too busy
to help you. Even if rent our to corporations also same problems arose, so better u get at ZONE B, Iskandar Malaysia,
is best nearby if anything even for invesment u can do it via a day trip, dont forget we here in Singapore each person
already doing 2 persons workload where got time to handle far far away properties ? For "remote control investment"
forget Malaysia, go to New Zealand, Australia is best, so far I dont have any problems at all as my agent handles everything
down to the replacement of a broken cup, chair etc ! Well just my own experience with KL, Penang, Nz, Aus Property "investment".

Iskandar Malaysia Nusajaya Is best.. "Zone B" ! Where else got "whole world in one city " Legoland, Harbour, Hello Kitty, 8 Universities - MDIS,RAS,NMIT,UR,etc etc, Hospital we can use our CPF, Race track, Pinewood TV etc etc...Giant Tesco Aeon Mall Of Medini -
No need waste time look anywhere else liow !

Care to share your nightmares of renting out KL Penang Properties too... Pls do we all want to know ....