• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Property News

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Twenty over years, going in and out of JB and other parts of Msia. So far not even once kena robbed. I even went to teller machine to bank in my deposits (cash). Smooth sailing. Just be humble and dont yaya papaya.

As for buying properties...just the other day my friend told me he regreted not buying one. Now is 1 million threshold. Cant afford now. I told him JB very dangerous. Even pumping ur car at those station u can get robbed or killed. He just laugh away..

Still can buy house, even landed house under RM1 million. Tell your friend to look around.

toyohon

Alfrescian
Loyal
Twenty over years, going in and out of JB and other parts of Msia. So far not even once kena robbed. I even went to teller machine to bank in my deposits (cash). Smooth sailing. Just be humble and dont yaya papaya.

As for buying properties...just the other day my friend told me he regreted not buying one. Now is 1 million threshold. Cant afford now. I told him JB very dangerous. Even pumping ur car at those station u can get robbed or killed. He just laugh away..

That is why 'renting' seems to be the 'smarter' choice.... :biggrin:

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
You just answered my concern, anyway Frodo you made a good choice buying a landed property in JB and I envy you because at this point in my life, my kids have already left home, one in OZ and another may go soon after NS, I would like to get a corner semi d but nobody to fill it up with :(

Absolutely even now me and my wife don't see my kids except meal times. All of them in their own rooms. Don't get a big house. You will end up as a house slave just like myself and I go up to the empty 3rd floor maybe twice a month. Slowly slowly the kids will leave home. And why did I get such a house? One word. GREED.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
That seems a change from yr usual stance that renting is better. What made u change yr mind?

No change, I always believe in landed property, anyway no rush, I am waiting for two possibilities, one is the RM1 million may be removed to help clear the huge oversupply, or two, announcement of the next RM1 million threshold, both possibilities would make me move my butt, right now is home work time.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Absolutely even now me and my wife don't see my kids except meal times. All of them in their own rooms. Don't get a big house. You will end up as a house slave just like myself and I go up to the empty 3rd floor maybe twice a month. Slowly slowly the kids will leave home. And why did I get such a house? One word. GREED.

Yes but I am greedy lol, bigger is better!

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Regional currency turmoil: Boom or bust for the property market
Nov 13, 2015

With volatile currencies across numerous countries, what can the property market in Asia expect in the near future?

By Alfred Chia

Currency volatility has become the new norm. Shifts in the global financial markets come as a result of structural changes in the economy, achieving record high asset prices in some countries while others have seen dramatic declines. Gone are the heady days of dynamic global growth; on the whole, economic slowdown is set to remain in the short term, diminishing the fundamentals underpinning high and stable asset prices seen in the past years (refer to Figure 1).

Indeed, a brief study of markets today does reveal that important developing countries such China face slowing growth. Emerging markets in the Asian region in particular – such as Malaysia and Indonesia – have experienced a rapid depreciation against the U.S. dollar as well.

It is anticipated that systemic volatility will remain high with risk management set to become increasingly complex. Japan, India and other emerging South-East Asian economies are predicted to continue experiencing mild currency devaluation within the next three years.

The resulting doubt over potential returns is likely to have a slightly negative effect on demand from international investors in these markets. Moreover, Central Bank intervention, such as that from the U.S. Federal Reserve, will create further uncertainty – whatever decision the Fed makes over its interest rates will certainly have a profound impact globally.

All is not gloom and doom though. It is possible for currency volatility to open up new areas of growth for an investor’s portfolio, especially so when it concerns cross-border investments. For one, cheaper currencies support potential real estate opportunities in the tourism, retail and export industries.

For countries with relatively strong currencies such as Hong Kong and Singapore, cheaper currencies carries added advantages by providing domestic investors from these countries to leverage on acquire assets abroad on account of their stronger purchasing power. As such, many savvy Singaporean investors are capitalising on current trends to focus their attention on overseas property as a form of investment diversification.

Figure 1: Global currency trends (YOY comparison from 9th November 2014 – 2015). Each currency is compared to the USD. These currencies also represent some of the most popular countries for property investment for Singaporeans.
dbs4zm.png

What does it mean for Singaporean investors?

Many countries in the world, including developed countries such as the United States, Europe and Japan combat inflation by managing their interest rate policy. On the other hand, Singapore adopts an exchange rate policy. MAS monitors the Nominal Effecting Exchange Rate (S$NEER) of the Singapore Dollar (SGD), which is a non-disclosed, weighted basket comprised by Singapore’s main trade partners.

This is because Singapore is an island nation with no natural resources. Virtually all the resources we consume has to be imported from another nation. Hence, by maintaining a strong currency, inflation can be combatted more effectively. Figure 2 shows a snapshot of Singapore dollar movements against a basket of other currencies, while Figure 3 shows how the US dollar has made further gains against the Singapore dollar since the beginning of the year.

102mbnn.png

vexb1c.png

Over the past 10 years, while the Sing Dollar (SGD) seems to have outperformed most of the currencies in the basket of comparison except for the Chinese Yuan, it has not been a straight line appreciation. Although Singapore’s growth seems to be slowing down, her currency continues to remain more resilient compared to the others. In fact, the SGD reached a record time high of 3.1207 and 10,366 against both the Malaysian Ringgit (MYR) and the Indonesian Rupiah (IDR) respectively in 2015.

While a strong Singapore currency does have its advantages, it is not necessarily ideal to let it gain unhindered from an economic standpoint. While a stronger currency would mean cheaper imports of raw materials, other nations would find Singaporean goods more expensive to consume, resulting in a worsening trade balance. This is because domestic consumption is inadequate to absorb all of the goods and services produced locally. As such Singapore needs a balanced currency policy to keep our economy going.

Because of the Singapore dollars’ resilience and the balanced stance of Singapore’s Central Bank, it makes sense for foreigners to hold on to our currency, especially those who want to hedge against their own currencies potential depreciation. When considering long term, high value investments like real estate, this makes even more sense.

For example, let us take a look at an Indonesian investor who had invested in Singapore property between January 1996 to January 2015. In January 1996, one Singapore dollar would have changed for 1,631.90 Rupiah. In January 2015 however, one Singapore dollar would have changed 9,414.97 Rupiah. The SGD has appreciated by 477 percent against the Rupiah. If the property was purchased with leverage of 70% financing, the Indonesian investor would have made a return on capital of 2,065 percent.

What about Singaporean investors who invested in Malaysian property from 2001 to 2011? A local Malaysian who purchased property on leverage of 70 percent financing would have made a return on capital of 176 percent. However, for the Singaporean, he would have made a lesser return on capital of 95 percent. This is due to the Ringgit depreciating by 16 percent against the SGD during the same period.

Investing in overseas properties for Singaporeans can be a double-edged knife when you factor in exchange rates. While there are opportunities if you get in at the right cycle, you also need to factor in the risks. Head down to PropertyGuru’s inaugural Real Estate Investment Conference on 5th and 6th of December, 10am – 7pm at Orchard Hotel, Level 2 Conference Centre to find out more about how to optimize your currency strategies for successful foreign real estate investments! Sign up today at bit.Iy/event_real-estate

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/prop...nal-currency-turmoil-boom-or-bust-for-the-pro

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Through rebates and discount, I was offered 18% rebate last week by a developer for a new landed home, they will still book the sale at RM1 million.

It makes sense for you to have a house there (I believe you can easily afford one) since you are a frequent visitor to Johor, where you can take a rest, leave your items there after shopping or simply sleep over when the traffic jam is unbearable. Happy house hunting :smile:

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
It makes sense for you to have a house there (I believe you can easily afford one) since you are a frequent visitor to Johor, where you can take a rest, leave your items there after shopping or simply sleep over when the traffic jam is unbearable. Happy house hunting :smile:

Please don't say can easily afford, my two cents like bullock cart wheels. Yes what you say sounds nice, timing is the key now.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Try a 7 rooms 7 toilets unit and you will know what I mean by greed. :biggrin:

Aya you manufacturing tycoon, aka printing money. I am in property investing business, sometimes don't know where my next meal is coming from, rentals are bad and sometimes face vacancy.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Like I say, recession is the best time to make money in properties.

Yep that's how we started, we also in manufacturing and buy sell factories in the recession bound 80s, factory no 24 also we buy, later sell also make money. Those are the glory days in the early to mid 90s.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Aya you manufacturing tycoon, aka printing money. I am in property investing business, sometimes don't know where my next meal is coming from, rentals are bad and sometimes face vacancy.

Bad rentals and vacant units also can afford to buy somemore.....you don't need to know where your meal will come from, you already had that meal ready piping hot. Prpperty investments is not about rentals but ability to buy and keep them vacant for capital appreciation and currency gain. :smile: